Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5672|College Park, MD
Why do people with zero connection to a team (in particular I'm thinking of the Packers, but it could be any team) care so much about that team? My facebook news feed has quite a few statuses with "GO PACKERS" and shit like that, yet none of those people has a connection to Green Bay or Wisconsin.

Someone explain this phenomenon.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
I choose teams based on their mascot. maybe they like g's
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
Because there's always one team you hate more than another, all the time, no exceptions, in any sport
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6643|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
Over here where our football is closer in regards to travel, you may get your Dads team for eg rammed down ya neck from an early age, so before you get to pick your home town even, your already looking at someone elses.

I havent always supported my local team but since the age of 17 I have, I have watched us with only 2000 others and now dont go when 24,000 others do.  Ive watched us climb the leage and play in the fa cup final.

Due to our league system up until recently you only ever saw the top league on telly.  I reckon the top 6 of our league carry the most 'non local' fans, but in some cases that makes them more of a fan than a local.

I doubt any of that answers ya question lol
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

We have more Cowboys fans than Redskins fans it seems, never got that.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

If the Jets had gotten through I'd be saying 'Go Pack' as well. As it happens, I really couldn't give a shit either way. But my point is, possibly more to do with people hating the Steelers than loving the Packers?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

As for teams I actually support, I have no association with any place in the US, but I'm a Saints fan because I chose them to support when they played over here in the NFL London game vs the Chargers, and just kinda stuck with them after that.

Last edited by ghettoperson (2011-01-24 14:09:50)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6507|Long Island, New York
Because when your own team is out, it's nice to be able to root for at least someone.

I've rooted for:

Seattle against Pittsburgh
Indy against Chicago
NYG against New England
Arizona against Pittsburgh
New Orleans against Indy

And now I'll be rooting for the Packers against Pittsburgh. But once the Super Bowl is over, I won't root for them again. I'll still consistently root for the Packers because they're essentially my backup team, which I have in every sport (Capitals and Stars in hockey, Nationals and Rockies in Baseball). But in the end, I'm consistently an Islanders-Yankees-Jets fan. At least until the Islanders move which seems inevitable at this point.
Sturgeon
+488|4911|Flintshire
Don't the players change teams a lot over there, nfl, nba etc?

Do the whole teams dynamics change e.g. their playing style etc?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Sturgeon wrote:

Don't the players change teams a lot over there, nfl, nba etc?

Do the whole teams dynamics change e.g. their playing style etc?
It depends on the player, really. If they're an integral part of the team, maybe. If a team like Packers, who are a very pass heavy team, lost Rodgers... they'd most certainly have to adjust. But if they lost one of their wide receivers, it wouldn't be that big of a loss due to the skill of Rodgers.

And I wouldn't say players change teams a lot unless they're minor. With the salary cap in the NBA, NHL and NFL, longer term deals are done pretty frequently. In the NHL, Ilya Kovalchuk was just signed to a 17 year deal, only to circumvent the salary cap. It's like $120 mil spread over 17 seasons, so some seasons he'll have upwards of $5 million count against the salary cap, in others he'll only have 900K I believe.
Sturgeon
+488|4911|Flintshire
Ahh, my perception of american sports was most players were mercenaries, changing from team to team, would make it pretty frustrating as a fan.

Whereas the football team I support, it's players are the most loyal in Europe
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
Yeah, not so much. You see more and more players joining with teams for less money because they want to be on a championship contending team or re-signing with their original team with less money. Lowing thinks that it's all about the money with professional athletes, but in the US, it's really not.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5672|College Park, MD
Yeah they don't change THAT often but when the big stars do they always give it as much coverage as a black guy becoming president.

I don't follow sports nearly enough to care about individual players, just teams. I support the DC teams and that's it. I can't really get myself to 'hate' any other team. Like, I kinda dislike the Cowboys simply because they're our rivals but I don't get why some people would dislike a team that they have no connection with whatsoever.

Kinda like Yankees haters. People who've probably never even stepped foot in NY hate 'em, just cos they're a powerhouse.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

Poseidon wrote:

Yeah, not so much. You see more and more players joining with teams for less money because they want to be on a championship contending team or re-signing with their original team with less money. Lowing thinks that it's all about the money with professional athletes, but in the US, it's really not.
http://www.scoresreport.com/2009/04/20/ … e-in-2011/
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5454|Bolingbrook, Illinois
nice, a source to some random guys opinion.

google carmelo anthony.  or lebron james
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
as a fan I always support my local team (seattle) but when they go out (as they always do ) I will support either against who I hate or if I have some sort of connect to a team (I.E. the seahawks got the title stolen by the steelers in superbowl XL so it's easy to hate them, also my dad was raised in Wisconsin not too far from GB so I grew up liking them second as my dad always routed for them)
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

HaiBai wrote:

nice, a source to some random guys opinion.

google carmelo anthony.  or lebron james
http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/28/news/ne … /index.htm

Neh Lebron ain't interested in money, hell no pro athelete is. I am sure they are gunna walk ( like before) for something other than money. You let me know what that might be.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5454|Bolingbrook, Illinois
so why did lebron completely ruin his entire self image for a better shot of winning a championship?

he was liked by the entire nation before he moved.  now he's hated by all except for band wagon miami fans
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Because it's more fun to root for a team during a game even after yours has been eliminated. Also, some people idolize individual players. I like a few teams beyond my hometown because I like the way their organizations are run, and, in some cases, I have roots in other cities.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
13/f/taiwan
+940|5669
we need lowing to post more often outside of the dst section. you might want to check out tech/music!
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

lowing wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

You are so fucking stupid when it comes to this, it's mind boggling. I don't understand why you can't just walk away from this. Oh that's right, your name was mentioned. Gotta keep that ego flowing, eh? Can't let anyone disrespect the name "lowing"! Do you even know what the main point of the strike is? It's the owners being money hungry because, in one main reason, they want to extend the season for 2 games. The players are absolutely, 100% against this, mostly for health reasons. Tony Gonzalez, one of the most respected players in the entire league and a 15 year vet, repeated that on Rome is Burning the other day. Keep posting your links about the strike without any understanding of professional sports besides what you see in your random Google searches in a pathetic attempt to prove yourself right. It gets funnier by the minute.

http://www.nfllockout.com/what-is-this- … not-about/

This lockout is NOT about players wanting more.

The players want to play.

The players have stated many times they’re content with the current system and revenue split… NFL owners and players each split roughly 50 percent of the revenue pie.

NFL owners, however, DO want more and are adamant about reducing the share of league revenue set aside for player salaries by roughly 18 percent ($1 billion) beginning next year.
Just admit you're wrong and we'll move on here and you can continue knowing nothing about professional sports.

HaiBai wrote:

so why did lebron completely ruin his entire self image for a better shot of winning a championship?

he was liked by the entire nation before he moved.  now he's hated by all except for band wagon miami fans
For once, I agree with HaiBai. The fact that LeBron, pretty much on pace for the Hall of Fame and arguably the best player in the league for the past few years, signed for less money to play with Bosh and Wade says a boatload more than any article lowing can ever post. He would've gotten more money in Cleveland. Bosh or Wade would've gotten more elsewhere. They all took less money to play together.

P.S. I wouldn't exactly say LeBron was liked by the entire nation. I mean he wasn't despised like he is now, but he's always had an ego problem. It's just a lot more inflated now. I think the only places that somewhat liked him were NY, Chicago and the other cities that thought they could reel him in.

13/f/taiwan wrote:

we need lowing to post more often outside of the dst section. you might want to check out tech/music!
I wouldn't care if he knew what he was talking about. He doesn't.

Last edited by Poseidon (2011-01-24 20:41:40)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

Poseidon wrote:

lowing wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

You are so fucking stupid when it comes to this, it's mind boggling. I don't understand why you can't just walk away from this. Oh that's right, your name was mentioned. Gotta keep that ego flowing, eh? Can't let anyone disrespect the name "lowing"! Do you even know what the main point of the strike is? It's the owners being money hungry because, in one main reason, they want to extend the season for 2 games. The players are absolutely, 100% against this, mostly for health reasons. Tony Gonzalez, one of the most respected players in the entire league and a 15 year vet, repeated that on Rome is Burning the other day. Keep posting your links about the strike without any understanding of professional sports besides what you see in your random Google searches in a pathetic attempt to prove yourself right. It gets funnier by the minute.

http://www.nfllockout.com/what-is-this- … not-about/

This lockout is NOT about players wanting more.

The players want to play.

The players have stated many times they’re content with the current system and revenue split… NFL owners and players each split roughly 50 percent of the revenue pie.

NFL owners, however, DO want more and are adamant about reducing the share of league revenue set aside for player salaries by roughly 18 percent ($1 billion) beginning next year.
Just admit you're wrong and we'll move on here and you can continue knowing nothing about professional sports.

HaiBai wrote:

For once, I agree with HaiBai. The fact that LeBron, pretty much on pace for the Hall of Fame and arguably the best player in the league for the past few years, signed for less money to play with Bosh and Wade says a boatload more than any article lowing can ever post. He would've gotten more money in Cleveland. Bosh or Wade would've gotten more elsewhere. They all took less money to play together.

P.S. I wouldn't exactly say LeBron was liked by the entire nation. I mean he wasn't despised like he is now, but he's always had an ego problem. It's just a lot more inflated now. I think the only places that somewhat liked him were NY, Chicago and the other cities that thought they could reel him in.

13/f/taiwan wrote:

I wouldn't care if he knew what he was talking about. He doesn't.
Love your passion Poseidon. However, you are definitely naive if you think Lebron or anyone else would rather "play together" then get paid huge.

So what if Lebron signed for 15 million a year instead of 20 million. Poor thing. Don't think that all the hype and suspense ( that you bought into obviously) about "will he stay or will he go", was not a calculated publicity stunt. He now has more people following his every move than ever before. This translates into dollars. How much more valuable would Lebron be with a championship ring on his finger? Everything these guys do in their profession has been planned out by a gaggle of agents, mangers, financial advisers and probably his mother. You are naive if you think Lebrons financial future was not a major consideration in the decision to move. THe publicity over this move probably netted him more money outside the sport than he "lost" by leaving Cleveland. But then again, you are the one that apparently follows these guys like a lost puppy.

As far as the strike goes, can you believe the gall it takes for the OWNER of a business to think he should make more from that business than the employees? THey say paying these assholes is bleeding them dry. I believe it. I also think the public is sick to death of these jack offs and their million dollar a game salaries. Sorry if I offended you by calling your heroes jack offs and assholes, but when will you learn that in business, be you an employee or an owner, EVERYTHING comes down to profit and loss.

Last edited by lowing (2011-01-25 01:48:13)

11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5207|Cleveland, Ohio
well mr hurricane.....

i for one want the packers to win.  why you ask?  because i want rogers to win only two superbowls with green bay so it will shut the farve fans up once and for all.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6780|Nårvei

GO PACKERS

wat?
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

11 Bravo wrote:

well mr hurricane.....

i for one want the packers to win.  why you ask?  because i want rogers to win only two superbowls with green bay so it will shut the farve fans up once and for all.

What should he do?
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard