Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6462|King Of The Islands

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I must be stupid, I can't figure out what's going on in the picture. Good thing I don't have a license.
Instead of turning left (or right in the real world) at the intersection, you drive beyond it, do a U-turn and double back, moving the crossing traffic 50 yards up the road.

R E V O L U T I O N A R Y
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6795|PNW

Cheez wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I must be stupid, I can't figure out what's going on in the picture. Good thing I don't have a license.
Instead of turning left (or right in the real world) at the intersection, you drive beyond it, do a U-turn and double back, moving the crossing traffic 50 yards up the road.

R E V O L U T I O N A R Y
Or, if you're on the main road, you can just turn left. It's the side streets that get fucked.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5497|Ventura, California
I never understood why turning left was such a huge issue. Traffic lights have two opposite sides of the intersection each take a left at the same time and that should avoid all accidents assuming no retard runs the light.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5740|Vancouver, BC, Canada

-Sh1fty- wrote:

assuming no retard runs the light.
Bold assumption.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5497|Ventura, California

TheDonkey wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

assuming no retard runs the light.
Bold assumption.
*Pats himself on the back*
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6129|eXtreme to the maX

FloppY_ wrote:

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/8435/35697124.png

derp, I'll revise it in the morning
So instead of having to wait for thirty seconds you have to drive further and probably wait longer to do a more dangerous turn.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6309|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Dilbert_X wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/8435/35697124.png

derp, I'll revise it in the morning
So instead of having to wait for thirty seconds you have to drive further and probably wait longer to do a more dangerous turn.
That was how I understood it...

I don't even see how the people who made this thinks this will avoid crashes, since you are sending the traffic straight into the lane where the speeding cocknuggets fly in...
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6207|Ireland
I like the super-collider round-about solution.
jsnipy
+3,276|6546|...

jug handles 2.0
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6023|The Mitten
a) that illustration is fucking retarded.
b)

tuckergustav wrote:

It actually works.  In higher traffic areas they will put a traffic signal at the point of the turn-about to give you an opportunity to merge during peak time.  It isn't as complicated as it looks.  I swear.
^
EE (hats
BVC
+325|6719
The only drawbacks I can see are a slight increase in construction/maintenence costs, and of course finding the extra land to do it on.

That said, if it reduces travel time, and the number of accidents, then its a great idea.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6624|132 and Bush

We used to tell the rookie drivers at ups that a route was set up so you "Just keep making right turns" ..the joke was they'd be driving in circles. Nice to see it become a reality.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5725|College Park, MD

Kmar wrote:

We used to tell the rookie drivers at ups that a route was set up so you "Just keep making right turns" ..the joke was they'd be driving in circles. Nice to see it become a reality.
good joke!
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6624|132 and Bush

Is that payback for last night? Some things don't work when you type is out. .. and truth be told there were people dumb enough to believe it. There was a enough relevance for me to share it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5725|College Park, MD

Kmar wrote:

Is that payback for last night? Some things don't work when you type is out. .. and truth be told there were people dumb enough to believe it. There was a enough relevance for me to share it.
Yeah pretty much payback
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6737|Purplicious Wisconsin

Cheez wrote:

Instead of turning left (or right in the real world) at the intersection
Face it, most of the world drives on the right side. Therefore the real world drives on the right side.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6347|Graz, Austria
If I understand correctly, the advantage of this is that the traffic from the side streets generally is slower and has to accelerate from a full halt, which slows down traffic in both lanes of the main road, as the cars are in the intersection longer.
Now what this thing basically does, is splitting up the side traffic's intersecting in two parts, crossing the lanes at two spots, distant from each other, first a right turn, then some distant away the U-turn.

The traffic on the main road are still allowed to do left turns.

I'd say it's a good thing if you build a new road or have to completely renovate one. But deliberately changing intersections everywhere without a good reason (e.g. high traffic, lots of accidents) would be a waste of money and space.

About roundabouts:
IMO, the best roundabouts are those that have a small planted knoll in the middle, which obstructs your view of the whole roundabout (especially the opposite exit on a four-way one), making you focus on the oncoming traffic only.
I've seen a lot of people simply speeding through the roundabout almost in a straight line, if the radius is too big.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6309|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

globefish23 wrote:

If I understand correctly, the advantage of this is that the traffic from the side streets generally is slower and has to accelerate from a full halt, which slows down traffic in both lanes of the main road, as the cars are in the intersection longer.
Now what this thing basically does, is splitting up the side traffic's intersecting in two parts, crossing the lanes at two spots, distant from each other, first a right turn, then some distant away the U-turn.

The traffic on the main road are still allowed to do left turns.

I'd say it's a good thing if you build a new road or have to completely renovate one. But deliberately changing intersections everywhere without a good reason (e.g. high traffic, lots of accidents) would be a waste of money and space.

About roundabouts:
IMO, the best roundabouts are those that have a small planted knoll in the middle, which obstructs your view of the whole roundabout (especially the opposite exit on a four-way one), making you focus on the oncoming traffic only.
I've seen a lot of people simply speeding through the roundabout almost in a straight line, if the radius is too big.
Those "good" roundabouts represent like 99% of all of them here in DK
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6023|The Mitten

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Or, if you're on the main road, you can just turn left. It's the side streets that get fucked.
Also, iirc, most of the intersections here in MI you can't turn left - onto or from a main road... so you have to go past, make the U turn, then make a right...

I dunno, Tucker, you drive in this state more than I do.
EE (hats

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard