NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6341|Atlanta, Georgia
http://www.andersoninstitute.com/alcubi … drive.html

I dont understand a damn thing about this. Maybe you guys do.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6690|Devon, England
So you need one before you can make one.

Just seems pointless - if that's the case.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5960|Places 'n such
Make wave in space time, theoretically able to travel faster than light through time...
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6564|Area 51
Gaaaaaaaaah, difficult equations go awaaaaaaay.

But in short (if I understood it correctly): Make a bubble in the fabric of time and space, ride said bubble in your spaceship, like a surfer rides a wave. That bubble would then be moving faster than light would outside of said bubble, thus you are able to move forwards in time.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6577|Columbus, OH
In order to contract the spacetime (in front of craft), an object's mass has to be highly dense. /insert yomomma jokes here
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

loubot wrote:

In order to contract the spacetime (in front of craft), an object's mass has to be highly dense. /insert yomomma jokes here
Artificial black hole would be able to do this.

We already have created artificial black holes.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
bennisboy
+829|6645|Poundland

RDMC wrote:

But in short (if I understood it correctly): Make a bubble in the fabric of time and space, ride said bubble in your spaceship, like a surfer rides a wave. That bubble would then be moving faster than light would outside of said bubble, thus you are able to move forwards in time.
I'm pretty sure it means you see what happens before the light has reached where you started out from, you dont actually move forward in time.

My thinking is that we see stars that haven't existed for thousands or millions of years, but we still see it because the absence of light from the death of the star hasn't reached us yet. Therefore if we travel faster than the speed of light towards those stars, we are travelling towards them faster than light is travelling away, therefore we a just catching up to the present time, and when we reach the star, we have finally caught up to the present instant.

And that is my thinking from when I was on the shitter
RDMC
+736|6564|Area 51

AussieReaper wrote:

loubot wrote:

Micro blackholes ye.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

RDMC wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

loubot wrote:

Micro blackholes ye.
It's still a black hole.

We can't be that far off from making bigger and better ones. (lol)

If we can control black holes, we can control the universe.
RDMC
+736|6564|Area 51

bennisboy wrote:

RDMC wrote:

I'm pretty sure it means you see what happens before the light has reached where you started out from, you dont actually move forward in time.

My thinking is that we see stars that haven't existed for thousands or millions of years, but we still see it because the absence of light from the death of the star hasn't reached us yet. Therefore if we travel faster than the speed of light towards those stars, we are travelling towards them faster than light is travelling away, therefore we a just catching up to the present time, and when we reach the star, we have finally caught up to the present instant.

So I had to read this about 15x times before it finally got through to me and I think that would be the case, however they do claim you can actually travel forwards in time with this warping stuff...

AussieReaper wrote:

RDMC wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Micro blackholes ye.
It's still a black hole.

We can't be that far off from making bigger and better ones. (lol)

If we can control black holes, we can control the universe.
Ye, but how do you control black holes, since they pretty much soak up everything?

Last edited by RDMC (2011-01-11 14:42:07)

bennisboy
+829|6645|Poundland

RDMC wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

RDMC wrote:

So I had to read this about 15x times before it finally got through to me and I think that would be the case, however they do claim you can actually travel forwards in time with this warping stuff...
I guess if you travelled fast enough, but the energy required becomes ridiculous, I guess it could be possible though.

But travelling pack in time is def impossible...
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

RDMC wrote:

Ye, but how do you control black holes, since they pretty much soak up everything?
Since the idea of bending space time is the main premise with this warp drive, you only really need to create a black hole momentarily. Which is what we've already been able to do.

If you can create/destroy the black hole a distance from your ship the space time will be effected and the ship will not be destroyed. By the time the ship moves into the space the black hole occupies, the blackhole is desroyed.

In effect it's a magnet pulling the ship forwards.
RDMC
+736|6564|Area 51

bennisboy wrote:

RDMC wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

I guess if you travelled fast enough, but the energy required becomes ridiculous, I guess it could be possible though.

No it is actually different..

You actually do travel in time I think, because in order to bent space and time you need a lot of mass, and the more mass something creates the slower the time goes within its vicinity. Therefore everything outside the bubble would be moving faster relative to you inside the bubble, including time. Well at least this is what discovery told me..

Backwards time travel, atleast with the current knowledge seems impossible yes.

AussieReaper wrote:

RDMC wrote:

Since the idea of bending space time is the main premise with this warp drive, you only really need to create a black hole momentarily. Which is what we've already been able to do.

If you can create/destroy the black hole a distance from your ship the space time will be effected and the ship will not be destroyed. By the time the ship moves into the space the black hole occupies, the blackhole is desroyed.

This could work, however the reason that micro blackholes fall apart is simple: they dont have enough mass. Now to bend space you probably need a pretty big blackhole, and the bigger these things get the more stable they become, so what actually guarantees that the blackhole will destroy itself?

Last edited by RDMC (2011-01-11 14:45:10)

bennisboy
+829|6645|Poundland
Surely if time is travelling faster outside the bubble than inside, when you come out of the bubble you would be "back" in time. But then that violates the conservation of mass, because mass can't be created out of nothing, but you've come back to the past with materials from the future that are already in the past, but the universe has finite mass, so you can't add mass to the universe with mass from the universe...

urgh brain hurt
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5960|Places 'n such

RDMC wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

RDMC wrote:

No it is actually different..

You actually do travel in time I think, because in order to bent space and time you need a lot of mass, and the more mass something creates the slower the time goes within its vicinity. Therefore everything outside the bubble would be moving faster relative to you inside the bubble, including time. Well at least this is what discovery told me..

Backwards time travel, atleast with the current knowledge seems impossible yes.

AussieReaper wrote:

RDMC wrote:

This could work, however the reason that micro blackholes fall apart is simple: they dont have enough mass. Now to bend space you probably need a pretty big blackhole, and the bigger these things get the more stable they become, so what actually guarantees that the blackhole will destroy itself?
Backwards time travel will always be impossible due to paradoxes/feedback.
Shame, I've always wanted to kill hitler with a lasergun
RDMC
+736|6564|Area 51

bennisboy wrote:

Surely if time is travelling faster outside the bubble than inside, when you come out of the bubble you would be "back" in time. But then that violates the conservation of mass, because mass can't be created out of nothing, but you've come back to the past with materials from the future that are already in the past, but the universe has finite mass, so you can't add mass to the universe with mass from the universe...

urgh brain hurt
No you wouldn't actually be back in time. Lets say just to make it simple, time outside the bubble would be travelling 2x faster in the bubble. Now if we were to travel for one year in our bubble around the earth (Lets say this is possible) then on earth 2 years would have passed. But for you only one would have passed. Therefore you are not arriving into the past, no instead you are making a sudden leap into the future.

I think.

Brain definitly hurts.
bennisboy
+829|6645|Poundland

RDMC wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

urgh brain hurt
No you wouldn't actually be back in time. Lets say just to make it simple, time outside the bubble would be travelling 2x faster in the bubble. Now if we were to travel for one year in our bubble around the earth (Lets say this is possible) then on earth 2 years would have passed. But for you only one would have passed. Therefore you are not arriving into the past, no instead you are making a sudden leap into the future.

I think.

Brain definitly hurts.
hmmm i think i see, and I guess it works with the basic laws of physics such as conservation of mass and momentum, but the more advanced laws i have no idea!
RDMC
+736|6564|Area 51

bennisboy wrote:

RDMC wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

urgh brain hurt

I think.

Brain definitely hurts.
hmmm i think i see, and I guess it works with the basic laws of physics such as conservation of mass and momentum, but the more advanced laws i have no idea!
Ye me neither. They explained it like this on discovery which probably leaves out the real complicated stuff. But the facts were pretty interesting. An even more efficient way of time travel would be travel at 99.99% the speed of light, that way 100 years will pass by but for you it will only have felt like a week (or something along that order.), pretty neat if you ask me.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5960|Places 'n such

bennisboy wrote:

RDMC wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

urgh brain hurt

I think.

Brain definitly hurts.
It doesn't work when you chuck energy into it, you need more energy than the universe contains in some of these ideas.
bennisboy
+829|6645|Poundland

presidentsheep wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

RDMC wrote:

I think.

Brain definitly hurts.
It doesn't work when you chuck energy into it, you need more energy than the universe contains in some of these ideas.
I meant RD's simplified explanation/theory
Benzin
+576|5998
RDMC - I think it's more like you age slower while everything outside the bubble ages at a normal rate? I'm too tired and not high enough to bend my mind around this.

Excellent OP, though.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5960|Places 'n such

bennisboy wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

It could work, would be affected by gravity though I think. Plus you'd have to be travelling very close to the speed of light in order for it to have any real effect. which would require vast amounts of energy
RDMC
+736|6564|Area 51

CapnNismo wrote:

RDMC - I think it's more like you age slower while everything outside the bubble ages at a normal rate? I'm too tired and not high enough to bend my mind around this.

Excellent OP, though.
That is exactly what happens and also what I said:

Myself wrote:

Lets say just to make it simple, time outside the bubble would be travelling 2x faster in the bubble. Now if we were to travel for one year in our bubble around the earth (Lets say this is possible) then on earth 2 years would have passed.
So everyone on earth would have aged 2 years but you only 1.

presidentsheep wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

It could work, would be affected by gravity though I think. Plus you'd have to be travelling very close to the speed of light in order for it to have any real effect. which would require vast amounts of energy
Well I think gravity is the least of your problems, being able to navigate between stellar objects is probably a far greater challenge. As for the energy question, think if I remember correctly they said something about an antimatter engine in which you just introduce antimatter to matter and get loads of energy. Problem with anti matter is though that the amount needed to make such a journey would bankrupt the entire world and then some.

Last edited by RDMC (2011-01-11 15:12:44)

presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5960|Places 'n such
Still raises some really fun and interesting possibilities.
If money was no object in this you're still left with the problem of actually trying to get something to travel at that speed.
RDMC
+736|6564|Area 51

presidentsheep wrote:

Still raises some really fun and interesting possibilities.
If money was no object in this you're still left with the problem of actually trying to get something to travel at that speed.
Ye we're not even close to being able to build such a fast machine with current technology. Hell, the fastest spacecraft ever travelled at something like 57.000 km/h and we need to get to 300.000 km/s that is just a mere 19.000 faster than we currently can go in space..

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard