Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5698|College Park, MD
The details are pretty much non-existent at this point, but this is what the government has to say:

"We are not talking about a national ID card," Locke said at the Stanford event. "We are not talking about a government-controlled system. What we are talking about is enhancing online security and privacy and reducing and perhaps even eliminating the need to memorize a dozen passwords, through creation and use of more trusted digital identities."
That sounds kinda close to a national ID to me. Wish they'd tell us more though.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162- … 01465.html
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

That sounds kinda close to a national ID to me. Wish they'd tell us more though.
I'm sure even they don't know how they could make something like that work.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6149|what

This was brought up here awhile ago, and shot down in flames with anger.

It's clearly very risky to give your government so much access to your records and details.

And even worse, Twitter has just been subpoenaed by U.S. Government for Wikileaks Accounts. If they could link an online account to your email, banking and personal address they can effectively silence you overnight through any means they like.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
jsnipy
+3,276|6519|...

Macbeth wrote:

I'm sure even they don't know how they could make something like that work.
this
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5032|Massachusetts, USA
Government already has a national ID for you, it's called your social security number(for the US, not sure about you people across the pond.). They already have your criminal record, your medical history, all that stuff that people hold so dear.

Last edited by UnkleRukus (2011-01-09 14:37:05)

If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6320|Graz, Austria

UnkleRukus wrote:

Government already has a national ID for you, it's called your social security number(for the US, not sure about you people across the pond.). They already have your criminal record, your medical history, all that stuff that people hold so dear.
Yes, but I doubt you would add those whenever you were doing something illegal or when doing stuff like Julian Assange.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6149|what

Would you link your social security number to your emails. blogs, or even to bf2s?
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5032|Massachusetts, USA

globefish23 wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

Yes, but I doubt you would add those whenever you were doing something illegal or when doing stuff like Julian Assange.
Fortunately for me, I don't know any government secrets nor would I release them (unless they were crimes against humanity).
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

Doesn't Washington have better things to do?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5470|Ventura, California

Kmar wrote:

Doesn't Washington have better things to do?
Well, between making bogus laws to drain more cash from us in the form of taxes, and getting paid more than men and women who put their lives on the line so they can enjoy their warm offices; they have to entertain themselves by attempting to pass impossible bills.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Reciprocity
+721|6577|the dank(super) side of Oregon

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Well, between making bogus laws to drain more cash from us in the form of taxes, and getting paid more than men and women who put their lives on the line so they can enjoy their warm offices; they have to entertain themselves by attempting to pass impossible bills.
oh look, the alien has an opinion.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6149|what

lol and he used the term "us" when referring to Americans.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Oh that's right! I'm still an illegal in the U.S. because I'm Swiss.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

To me it seems like an attempt to eliminate the anonymity of the internet... not to help you remember passwords. And btw, this looks like it would help enable identity thieves.

I already use lastpass kthx
Xbone Stormsurgezz
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

Kmar wrote:

To me it seems like an attempt to eliminate the anonymity of the internet... not to help you remember passwords. And btw, this looks like it would help enable identity thieves.

I already use lastpass kthx
Cons outweigh the pros
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

You mean the legislation right?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
mikkel
+383|6597
This sort of deal was implemented in Denmark a couple of years ago. The Danish system consisted of a password-protected public-key encryption scheme that was meant to make it simple to interact securely with web-based financial and government resources, and to grant citizens easy access to cryptology for everyday tasks like e-mailing. It was never too successful, and is now being superseded by a two-factor scheme with a password and a one-time pad. I have in a folder somewhere a sheet of paper with about 150 one-time keys that I have to use in conjunction with my password and my social security number to access my online banking, my taxes, and whichever other systems decide to adopt this form of authentication.

This whole deal failed in a country where the government is significantly better represented with online services than is the case in the U.S. I don't see how it would be any more successful than it was in Denmark.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

What type of government online services?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6844|"Frisco"

Politicians coming up with some way to do digital identify signatures over the internet? I can almost guarantee it'll end in complete shame for those involved. I am interested to see what they propose, but I am certain it will be shown to be severely weak (cryptographically) and have all kinds of security and procedural flaws that will simply make it fail. I stand to be surprised, but I doubt it.

OpenID has been working in this area for YEARS and it still has issues. The only thing the g-o-v has in its favor is size and influence. "Don't you support the USA login system?" is a lot more convincing than "Don't you run OpenID" when it comes to forcing businesses to accept external login credential systems.

Of course, OpenID is still a vastly more appealing option for two reasons: 1) Unlike a government controlled and watched system, OpenID is decentralized; meaning anyone with a small bit of knowledge can, using a single PHP file, setup their own identify server. 2) OpenID is not US specific and thus, ultimately, far better for the internet on a whole than supporting something so nationalistic.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

Have you guys ever heard politicians talking about the internet candidly? It's pretty funny when they get going with the MyFace and Spacebook jargon. To think these people are responsible for major policy with the internet is frightening.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England

Kmar wrote:

Have you guys ever heard politicians talking about the internet candidly? It's pretty funny when they get going with the MyFace and Spacebook jargon. To think these people are responsible for major policy with the internet is frightening.
Well, in their defense, it would be like athletes reading the sports pages or going on sports blogs. They'd be bombarded instantly by fans and foes alike to the point that it would be an unenjoyable experience.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6179|Ireland
This is the government, they are paving the way to tax internet useage.

government = taxes,  this is all you need to know.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5995|Vortex Ring State
I think that I like to keep my internet anonymous, kthx
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England
Goes hand in hand with the anti-bullying legislation that keeps passing. Trolls are internet bullies, thus we need legislation that removes their anonymity
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5255|foggy bottom

Lotta_Drool wrote:

This is the government, they are paving the way to tax internet useage.

government = taxes,  this is all you need to know.
vote with your 2nd amendment, right right
Tu Stultus Es

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard