Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6201|Ireland
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/01/07 … bled-ally/

With Pakistan’s civilian government clinging to power in the face of deepening internal divisions, a new book by a former CIA officer says Pakistan is the most dangerous place on earth and should be President Obama’s top national-security priority.

“It is the fastest growing nuclear arsenal in the world and it has more terrorists per square mile than any other country in the world,” Bruce Riedel, author of “Deadly Embrace: Pakistan, America and the Future of Global Jihad” tells FOX News in an exclusive interview. “Pakistan is our most important partner in the war against Al Qaeda and the most difficult partner in the war against Al Qaeda.”

The U.S.-Pakistani relationship has been a fraught one from the day the Central Asian nation broke free from British control to become an Islamic republic in 1947. Since President Dwight Eisenhower made the first presidential visit to Islamabad in 1951, America has valued the strategic importance of the nation but been frustrated by the divided loyalties of the government there.

There are many examples of the double game that Pakistan has played with its U.S. ally.  One example was in 1993, it was Pakistan’s Western-educated Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto who helped North Korea make major advances in its nuclear program.  Riedel’s book describes how she shared the secrets that helped the North Koreans develop a uranium enrichment program and, ultimately, a nuclear weapon.

"She carried back and forth information about nuclear centrifuges from North Korea to Pakistan and other information. Whether she carried a nuclear weapons design, I don't think that has been substantiated one way or another,” said Riedel, who led a White House strategy review on Pakistan for Obama in 2009.

“It's very ironic: Mrs. Bhutto was probably the most secular, pro-Western Pakistani politician of our lifetime and yet she was also involved in the nuclear trade with North Korea. And she was one of the early sponsors of the Afghan Taliban."

Bhutto reportedly received ballistic missile designs for her country’s ongoing arms race with neighboring India in return for the nuclear secrets. The allegations first appeared in a book written by British journalist Shyam Bhatia, who was a friend of Bhutto's from Oxford.

In “Goodbye, Shahzadi” Bhatia writes: "The gist of what she told me was that before leaving Islamabad she shopped for an overcoat with the deepest possible pockets into which she transferred CDs containing scientific data about uranium enrichment which the North Koreans wanted."

He says she told him not to publish the information until after her death, highlighting her constant fear that she could be assassinated, which she was in December 2007.

In another example of the complicated relationship between the U.S. and its troublesome ally Pakistan the CIA has never yet been allowed to interview the father of Pakistan's nuclear program, A.Q Kahn, who in 2004 admitted to providing nuclear know how to, among others, Iran, Libya and North Korea.

Khan lives in Islamabad and has been free from house arrest since early 2009.

Critics of the administration’s current policy suggest that the Obama team has not taken a tough enough line when it comes to the suspected ties between the nation’s military and intelligence organizations and the Taliban and other radical groups.

KT McFarland, a nuclear proliferation and national security expert who worked in the Reagan Pentagon, said that the U.S. must be more demanding with its troublesome ally. “We've let the Pakistanis tell us what they want, and frankly they are playing both sides,” said McFarland, a FOX News contributor.

“On one hand, they are helping us in Afghanistan and with Al Qaeda against the Taliban, but on the other hand they are helping the Taliban too, because they are hedging their bets.” McFarland suggested that the U.S. should tell the Pakistani government to get serious about the search for Osama Bin Laden, who is believed to be hiding in the mountainous eastern region of the country. “I think we need to go to Pakistan and say, ‘Look, you guys have had almost 10 years. We know that Osama Bin Laden is in Pakistan. If you want the relationship to continue, we want Osama Bin Laden.’”

Riedel, now a fellow at the Brookings Institution think tank, says the U.S. must pursue a two-track approach with Pakistan. On one hand, he supports a five-year, $1.5-billion non-military aid package sponsored by Sen. John Kerry and Sen. Richard Lugar that is still stalled in Congress.

The money, Riedel says, will help convince the Pakistani people that the U.S. is seeking a long-term friendship. But Riedel also says the U.S. should get tough with Pakistan’s top generals and members of its intelligence service, the I.S.I., if there is evidence they are supporting the Taliban or Al Qaeda.

He suggests placing offending officers on the U.S. terror watch list, which means their overseas assets would be frozen. “Imagine a state with the fastest growing nuclear arsenal in the world, the sixth largest army, that’s an active sponsor…of terrorist groups…that welcome Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda out of their hiding places into the Presidential palaces in Islamabad,” Riedle said.

“That’s the nightmare that we have to worry about. And that’s the nightmare that we have to avoid at all costs.”
So if I am Al Quida I would just concentrate on overthrowing the Pakistan government and get nukes.  Near as I can tell this is probably their strategy.  What happens if they get control.  I would hate to be in India or Turkey.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6170|what

Lotta_Drool wrote:

So if I am Al Quida I would just concentrate on overthrowing the Pakistan government and get nukes.  Near as I can tell this is probably their strategy.  What happens if they get control.  I would hate to be in India or Turkey.
And what if they are elected? You know, legally.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6201|Ireland

AussieReaper wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Bomb every city and town to the ground.  At least that is my opinion and a way to get rid of a place that is filled with a majority of Terrorist radicals.

but how could they be elected if Islam isn't a violent religion?
alexb
<3
+590|5957|Kentucky, USA

Lotta_Drool wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Bomb every city and town to the ground.  At least that is my opinion and a way to get rid of a place that is filled with a majority of Terrorist radicals.

And you think that would stop terrorism?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6518|so randum
bombing peoples homes / killing their families to eradicate terrorism and prevent new people from being radicalised has been proven to work in areas such as Northern Ireland and Afghanistan so

nah wait
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6488
i love how right-wing americans don't even pretend to be about promoting 'freedom' and 'liberty' to poor places in the world now... they don't even have that cute little pretense that they used through most of the 20th century whilst they dismantled fair democracies and installed their own systems of exploitation. nowadays it's just a case of - "their agenda doesn't match ours? they're a different faith? their skin is a different colour? KILL 'EM".

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5255|Cleveland, Ohio
wut
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6170|what

Lotta_Drool wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

How is bombing Pakistan in anyway going to promote Democracy if Al-Qaeda are elected legally?

Hamas was elected legally. Do you think they should be bombed into oblivion too?
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5255|Cleveland, Ohio
wow you guys got trolled
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

11 Bravo wrote:

wow you guys got trolled
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6123|eXtreme to the maX
Lol
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6201|Ireland
did I say something about promoting democracy?  Last I knew the US was at war with terrorist and Al Queda was declared a terrorist organization soooooo,  IF they could get elected by a majority that would mean the US is at war with a country in which the MAJORITY of the people supported terrorism.  I'm not for the IRAQI WAR way of doing things, I believe that you fight a war against a country and DON'T rebuild it.

If Canada elects a party to power that is at war with the US and blew up the world trade centers, well I'd be for going to war against them in earnest. Democracy, all for it but doesn't mean I support our enemies BECAUSE they are a democracy.  Hitler was elected, big fucking whoop.

Pull your Euro trash heads off of your scrotums and think.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6201|Ireland

AussieReaper wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

How is bombing Pakistan in anyway going to promote Democracy if Al-Qaeda are elected legally?

Hamas was elected legally. Do you think they should be bombed into oblivion too?
Yes, Hamas is a terrorist organization. Destroy it, fight it, don't normalize and legitamize terrorism.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6201|Ireland

11 Bravo wrote:

wow you guys got trolled
Things look different from the back of a deuce and a half, look at the big picture. The US has spent more fucking money destroying itself to win the hearts and minds of terrorists then it will ever get in return.

Let Europe unfuck its side of the world or just blow the shit up and go back to playing the PS3.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6170|what

You're just itching for another war from the sounds of things.

Against Palestine and then Pakistan.

How many wars do you think the US can juggle at once?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Using simple answers to deal with very complicated problems.

Reaps, we're actually making major cuts at the pentagon now. All indication is that we are scaling back military operations.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6423|North Carolina
Well, to be fair, Pakistan really is a colossal shithole.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6515

Turquoise wrote:

only where the people are. i'd love to take my camera to the Swat Valley . . .
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

This world is full of shitholes. We only care when they are nuclear. So the question is .. why wouldn't a shithole try to go Nuclear? Look at all the benefits we and the rest of the world have offered to NK since they have went after the bomb.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6423|North Carolina

Kmar wrote:

This world is full of shitholes. We only care when they are nuclear. So the question is .. why wouldn't a shithole try to go Nuclear? Look at all the benefits we and the rest of the world have offered to NK since they have went after the bomb.
Good point, but this is part of why we need to eventually eliminate North Korea.

I'm sure we could strike up some deal with China to take care of it.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

I would not be too sure about that.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

Turquoise wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Good point, but this is part of why we need to eventually eliminate North Korea.

I'm sure we could strike up some deal with China to take care of it.
When you say eliminate, do you mean convert to radioactive glass? That would strike an ugly precedent.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

.. and would undoubtedly generate blowback on a global scale.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5491|Ventura, California

AussieReaper wrote:

How many wars do you think the US can juggle at once?
With the current bullshit ROE and unclear goals?

Only one country...
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6639|London, England

burnzz wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

only where the people are. i'd love to take my camera to the Swat Valley . . .
just go further east and you get the same views without the shitty people/religion

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard