_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6713|Riva, MD
People who have downloaded the Steam version of the game may have noticed that it doesn't automatically give you a BF2: SF desktop shortcut, this is pretty important since everybody who's played SF knows that in most cases, you have to use SF's shortcut in order to play that part of the game, unlike the booster packs which allow you to see their servers in the regular game.  You would think you could just go to the Special Forces part of the BF2 folder and find SF's .exe file and make shortcut from that, but when I checked I could not even find that .exe file.

So from Googling it myself, I thought I'd make a simple guide about how to make the shortcut that is easy to follow and maybe find on Google too.

1. Right-click anywhere in blank space on your desktop

2. Go to New and create a new shortcut

3. Copy and paste this into the target path:

Code:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +modPath mods/xpack
4. Name it Battlefield 2 Special Forces(obviously you could name it whatever you want but for the sake of this guide, this makes the most sense)

Optional Green Special Forces '2' icon

You could also set the icon to the Green 2 that originally came with the SF version(since this self-made shortcut automatically defaults to the red 2 from the 'vanilla' version) by right-clicking on the shortcut, finding the page that your OS has the "Change Icon" button on, and navigate here: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\battlefield 2\mods\xpack and then use the bf2xpack.ico file for the icon.  This may or may not have .ico on the end depending on how your folder options are configured.

Hope that helps some people and maybe adds some more people to the SF servers.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6651

Also, clicking the Community (I think) tab and then Custom Games, you will find Special Forces in there. Can't launch right into it like you can with the shortcut, but it's not like Special Forces is off-limits.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6713|Riva, MD

mtb0minime wrote:

Also, clicking the Community (I think) tab and then Custom Games, you will find Special Forces in there. Can't launch right into it like you can with the shortcut, but it's not like Special Forces is off-limits.
Well yeah, but I think everyone should always be able to use it the way most of us are used to using it.  They just didn't make that very easy to do off-hand.

I definitely don't think I would've been able to find it the way you described on my own without having heard how to do that first.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2011-01-07 13:56:29)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6713|Riva, MD
bump4knowledge

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard