Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5969|...

Trotskygrad wrote:

dayarath wrote:

diamond ladder 1v1, 2v2random & 2v2 team
what specifically about the mechanics didn't you like? the simplicity of the individual unit's attack/defend mechanisms?
no most units were fine imo. One of the things that I dont like is that all ranged units form up into a very tight ball, it makes melee units completely not viable when you've both got large armies rolling around, unlike in SC1. Ultralisks and the like are a very, very rare sight and usually only used if the zerg has a gigantic economic advantage over you (not even adressing archons because I never saw them, and if I did it was an easy win). Next to that in large battles it is almost impossible to micromanage properly beyond (for me playing terran) darting around with a few units / using special abilities. Stuff dies too fast and it's too hectic.

Keep in mind though, my last login was in August so a lot may have changed.

Regardless, there is also the problem with the few actually viable tactics. I mean with that, that games generally are played out by each faction with almost the same set of units each time - it just works so darn good and is to blame to the novelty of the tactic. Terrans mostly get a bioball rolling, zerg either mutalisks or hydralisks and protoss in that being the most versatile race but still limited by few choices; either lots of stalkers, a sentry heavy army or void ray abuse (god how I hated it). <it being more than a counter game for them than the other races there is more diversity in their unit use / choice than this, you will always see a few immortals / colossi walking around at some point>

These prevail because of the limited (or no) micromanaging that has to be done during a battle and the swiftness with which your army can move around the map - making it easy to contain your enemy, leaving you with lots of moments to quickly tab back to your base to keep producing optimally. The game is in diamond league not much different from all the other leagues, only difference being that diamond players are much more effective at the whole multitask thing. You winning depends mostly on one thing; out-producing the enemy (and ofcourse not deploying the same set of units consistently against hardcounters). Given this using specialized units may be fun but it also makes it infinitely harder for you to win/play the map properly. I absolutely loved experimenting with lots of ghosts and ravens but in the end of the day you are most definitely going to bite the dust vs anyone who has good multitasking skills.

In the end I cant help but feel that the map design has greatly contributed to the problem. There are too few open maps (none, infact). The ramped up starting point with choke points / high ground available every few meters makes the game very biased towards certain sets of units and tactics - adding to the boredom factor.

Last edited by dayarath (2011-01-04 11:49:30)

inane little opines
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

dayarath wrote:

diamond ladder on three different schemes after only a month of playing?

Damn, beast.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5969|...

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

dayarath wrote:

diamond ladder on three different schemes after only a month of playing?

Damn, beast.
I played in beta aswell, it helped
inane little opines
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

That's silly. You don't see the Salvation Army rejecting anything under a dollar.

It's up to you not to look like a turd from 'generously' plunking a penny into their bucket.
Well, those people walking around collecting money with a bucket are most likely volunteers.
I once worked for the Johanniter-Unfallhilfe in Germany, walking from door to door soliciting for donations via direct debit authorization.
The minimum amount there was €2 per month, otherwise the bank fees and other additional costs would not get covered.

Same goes for the Humble Bundle, they have to pay fees for each PayPal transaction.
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6372|dm_maidenhead
why don't people like the new fifa?
It's great.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5454|Bolingbrook, Illinois
yeah fifa 11 > fifa 10, and fifa 10 was awesome.  they probably just hate fifa in general
Sturgeon
+488|4911|Flintshire
City vs United, boring 0-0 draw.
United vs Bayern Munich, Robben (a wanker btw) scores a mediocre goal to knock us out, Rafael getting sent off didn't help, neither did every Bayern player swarming the ref, fucking Germans.
Fulham vs United, 2-2 more dropped points.
United vs Chelsea 1-2, offside goal, ended up costing us the league, fucking Drogba.
United vs Leeds, beaten 1-0 by the scum in fa cup

In no particular order^

https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438

Peter wrote:

why don't people like the new fifa?
It's great.
It's just that USM said that FIFA11 was his favorite game this year, so everyone is trolling him.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6630|The darkside of Denver
I dont understand why people like soccer.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6750|Great Brown North

SonderKommando wrote:

kicking a ball

srs business
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria

SonderKommando wrote:

Because association football is revolution!
Revolution from the narrow-minded, ball carrying rugby-esque football, based on the Cambridge rules from 1848, which was incidentally a revolution year across most of Europe.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6709|Toronto | Canada

SonderKommando wrote:

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
*football
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Sturgeon
+488|4911|Flintshire

FatherTed wrote:

*football
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black

Sturgeon wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

*football
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Finray wrote:

Sturgeon wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

*football
*soccer

/trollface
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6535|Area 51

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Finray wrote:

Sturgeon wrote:

*soccer

/trollface
https://paradoxdgn.com/junk/avatars/trollface.jpg
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6126|Vancouver | Canada
I don't understand why people like "American football".
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5207|Cleveland, Ohio

SonderKommando wrote:

cuz they dont go on strike or celebrate mundane things like a tackle

or maybe because they have to win or they dont get paid and get sent down to a lower division...not continue to make millions with the help of the taxpayer whether they like it or not.....then hold cities hostage for a new stadium.

just a couple reasons.....
HaiBai

11 Bravo wrote:

or maybe because they have to win or they dont get paid and get sent down to a lower division...not continue to make millions with the help of the taxpayer whether they like it or not.....then hold cities hostage for a new stadium.

just a couple reasons.....
i like soccer for those reasons, but i also love it because it's the sport i grew up on.  what pisses me off about soccer is the players; crying and bitching over tackles.  it's just lame, if they had the same attitude as football players or even basketball players, it would be so much more enjoyable to watch.

they should apply the things you posted to football and basketball, it would be MUCH better
11 Bravo
Banned
i know it would..

btw nba players cry just as much tbh
HaiBai
you're probably right about nba players crying, but it's harder to be a little bitch in the nba because the refs can see everything better.

in soccer, just fall over, and the referee 30 yards away will blow the whistle
11 Bravo
Banned
sometimes.....more than not they ignore it imo
11 Bravo
Banned
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6630|The darkside of Denver

DefCon-17 wrote:

I don't understand why people like "American football".

NFL has the intensity meter ratcheted up to 10,000,000

European football is like a 10 at best.

You havent lived until you've played American football.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard