Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6398|North Carolina
Currently, it is illegal to buy and sell votes.  However, it seems odd that a citizen can't do this while lobbyists essentially buy the votes of Congress on a daily basis.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6382
no
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Turquoise
O Canada
Why not?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6614|London, England
So I've always wondered how Lobbying works. Is it basically Bribing or something else or Blackmail or a mixture of both or what
Turquoise
O Canada

Mekstizzle wrote:

So I've always wondered how Lobbying works. Is it basically Bribing or something else or Blackmail or a mixture of both or what
Bribing pretty much sums it up.  Special Interest A funds campaign of Candidate A, so then the candidate will enact policies that benefit that group.  A lot of times, lobbyists even do more of the actual writing of laws under the guise of being "think tanks."
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Oh yeah, that's the one. Campaign contributions/funding. The only way to win is to have the money to win.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
I dunno, you can have someone spending their hundreds of millions of corporations money to campaign an election, but that still doesn't stop me from voting for some hobo at the train station. So it's priceless really (my vote).

Priceless but worthless...

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-12-28 11:23:50)

SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6561|Mountains of NC

https://www.frontshop.com/forsale.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
https://www.greentechmedia.com/content/images/articles/whitman.png
Tu Stultus Es
jord
+2,382|6671|The North, beyond the wall.
I can't imagine they'd be worth much anyway.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

https://blog.softtechvc.com/pay_2Dcraiglist.jpg
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6660

We use this to manage our congressional votes.

http://www.vocus.com/content/governmentrelations.asp

Government Relations Edition
Vocus' Government Relations software helps organizations manage grassroots networks, monitor legislation and track PAC contacts.

Vocus provides a complete grassroots management solution, featuring a comprehensive database of federal and state legislative contacts. Corporations and organizations can track projects, activities and legislation; maintain a professional online advocacy site; and analyze lobbying efforts and legislative success.

Our powerful PAC contact management capabilities allow you to keep track of your contacts, interactions with your committee members and contributions.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
thats old. they dont have erotic services anymore
Tu Stultus Es
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

eleven bravo wrote:

thats old. they dont have erotic services anymore
some of us don't have to pay for such services

the rest of us ... blackmail
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
some of us arent customers
Tu Stultus Es
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

eleven bravo wrote:

some of us arent customers
are they doing chariety work now ?
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6732|Toronto | Canada

Turquoise wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Bribing pretty much sums it up.  Special Interest A funds campaign of Candidate A, so then the candidate will enact policies that benefit that group.  A lot of times, lobbyists even do more of the actual writing of laws under the guise of being "think tanks."
Err, no.  I worked for one of the most powerful lobbyist firms here and its absolutely nothing like that.  The majority of their work is: Company A hires Lobbyist B to get meetings with powerful people in Government Department C.

Lobbyists depend on their networking and knowing people in the government and political parties to get stuff done.  No bribery involved, its highly illegal considering both will get charged, government worked will lose their job and lobbyist will lose their ability to ever lobby again.  There's strict regulations on what companies and lobbyists can give government employees, down to specific dollar amounts.  One of my bosses was good friends with the Minister of Defense (before he became Minister) and he wasn't even allowed to get him a Christmas present since it would go over the allowed amount for the year.
EVieira
+105|6471|Lutenblaag, Molvania

Turquoise wrote:

Currently, it is illegal to buy and sell votes.  However, it seems odd that a citizen can't do this while lobbyists essentially buy the votes of Congress on a daily basis.
No, because then you would cease to be a democracy and turn into a plutocracy, where only the rich and wealthy had any power. Democracy may not be perfect (and lobbying is one of its flaws, in my opinion), but its better then being run by the rich and the rich only.

PS: On an interesting side note, a plutocracy is in effect in London today (though not by selling votes):

Wikipedia wrote:

One modern, perhaps unique, formalised example of a plutocracy is the City of London. The City (not the whole of modern London but the area of the ancient city, which now mainly comprises the financial district) has a unique electoral system. Most of its voters are representatives of businesses and other bodies that occupy premises in the City. Its ancient wards have very unequal numbers of voters. The principal justification for the non-resident vote is that about 450,000 non-residents constitute the city's day-time population and use most of its services, far outnumbering the City's residents, who are fewer than 10,000.

Last edited by EVieira (2010-12-28 14:01:53)

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
Turquoise
O Canada

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Err, no.  I worked for one of the most powerful lobbyist firms here and its absolutely nothing like that.  The majority of their work is: Company A hires Lobbyist B to get meetings with powerful people in Government Department C.

Lobbyists depend on their networking and knowing people in the government and political parties to get stuff done.  No bribery involved, its highly illegal considering both will get charged, government worked will lose their job and lobbyist will lose their ability to ever lobby again.  There's strict regulations on what companies and lobbyists can give government employees, down to specific dollar amounts.  One of my bosses was good friends with the Minister of Defense (before he became Minister) and he wasn't even allowed to get him a Christmas present since it would go over the allowed amount for the year.
It's all about donations though.  If you heavily fund a campaign, it's pretty obvious what the reasoning behind that is.  They may not be able to give personal gifts out in the open, but there are several "conflicts of interest."
Turquoise
O Canada

EVieira wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

No, because then you would cease to be a democracy and turn into a plutocracy, where only the rich and wealthy had any power. Democracy may not be perfect (and lobbying is one of its flaws, in my opinion), but its better then being run by the rich and the rich only.
We're already a plutocracy.  Basically, every system is to a degree.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6099|eXtreme to the maX
Seems reasonable, I can't see why not in a capitalist democracy.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6732|Toronto | Canada

Turquoise wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

It's all about donations though.  If you heavily fund a campaign, it's pretty obvious what the reasoning behind that is.  They may not be able to give personal gifts out in the open, but there are several "conflicts of interest."
There are pretty strict limitations on campaign funding.  Dont know it off the top of my head but I know its strict enough that this was never a problem at all.  Of course I have no idea what the American government is like, but theres none to little of this at all in the Canadian Federal government. (Quebec is another story )
Turquoise
O Canada

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

There are pretty strict limitations on campaign funding.  Dont know it off the top of my head but I know its strict enough that this was never a problem at all.  Of course I have no idea what the American government is like, but theres none to little of this at all in the Canadian Federal government. (Quebec is another story )
I guess Canada is a lot less corrupt then.  We have limitations on donations for individuals and by individuals, but those limitations are easily sidestepped through bundling.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

Turquoise wrote:

Why not?
Look at FIFA....
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6638
thats an older craigslist pic the new ones does not have adult services any more

new one below
https://img638.imageshack.us/img638/7440/97074525.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard