Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina
Last year, there was an interesting story about an Al Quida operative we captured who responded more favorably to cookies than other terrorists did from things like waterboarding.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic … 91,00.html

Abu Jandal's guards were so intimidated by him, they wore masks to hide their identities and begged visitors not to refer to them by name in his presence. He had no intention of cooperating with the Americans; at their first meetings, he refused even to look at them and ranted about the evils of the West. Far from confirming al-Qaeda's involvement in 9/11, he insisted the attacks had been orchestrated by Israel's Mossad. While Abu Jandal was venting his spleen, Soufan noticed that he didn't touch any of the cookies that had been served with tea: "He was a diabetic and couldn't eat anything with sugar in it." At their next meeting, the Americans brought him some sugar-free cookies, a gesture that took the edge off Abu Jandal's angry demeanor. "We had showed him respect, and we had done this nice thing for him," Soufan recalls. "So he started talking to us instead of giving us lectures. It took more questioning, and some interrogators' sleight of hand, before the Yemeni gave up a wealth of information about al-Qaeda - including the identities of seven of the 9/11 bombers - but the cookies were the turning point. "After that, he could no longer think of us as evil Americans," Soufan says. "Now he was thinking of us as human beings."

In short, we killed him....  with kindness.

Maybe this could be applied to other captives.  The whole 72 virgins idea seems like a serious desire for sex, so maybe we could hire "virgins" for other "interrogations."

Granted, this could backfire.  We may end up with "terrorists" turning themselves in for some "virgins."

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-12-23 09:12:01)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Its simply an example of lateral thinking working, something the military is not usually strong on.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356
Is this a nod or a taunt to Uziqe ?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Dilbert_X wrote:

Its simply an example of lateral thinking working, something the military is not usually strong on.
Unless I'm mistaken, it wasn't the military. It was the FBI.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

Dilbert_X wrote:

lateral thinking working, something the military is not usually strong on.
You came by this conclusion how ?  examples ?

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2010-12-23 13:58:10)

Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

Bertster7 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

either way interrogators are usually not your off the shelf variety.
Turquoise
O Canada

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

...just spreading holiday cheer... 

I mean, who knows?   Maybe the kindness angle is somewhat effective on certain captives.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

Turquoise wrote:

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

...just spreading holiday cheer... 

I mean, who knows?   Maybe the kindness angle is somewhat effective on certain captives.
Who knows
Ticia
+73|5337

Turquoise wrote:

Last year, there was an interesting story about an Al Quida operative we captured who responded more favorably to cookies than other terrorists did from things like waterboarding.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic … 91,00.html

Abu Jandal's guards were so intimidated by him, they wore masks to hide their identities and begged visitors not to refer to them by name in his presence. He had no intention of cooperating with the Americans; at their first meetings, he refused even to look at them and ranted about the evils of the West. Far from confirming al-Qaeda's involvement in 9/11, he insisted the attacks had been orchestrated by Israel's Mossad. While Abu Jandal was venting his spleen, Soufan noticed that he didn't touch any of the cookies that had been served with tea: "He was a diabetic and couldn't eat anything with sugar in it." At their next meeting, the Americans brought him some sugar-free cookies, a gesture that took the edge off Abu Jandal's angry demeanor. "We had showed him respect, and we had done this nice thing for him," Soufan recalls. "So he started talking to us instead of giving us lectures. It took more questioning, and some interrogators' sleight of hand, before the Yemeni gave up a wealth of information about al-Qaeda - including the identities of seven of the 9/11 bombers - but the cookies were the turning point. "After that, he could no longer think of us as evil Americans," Soufan says. "Now he was thinking of us as human beings."

In short, we killed him....  with kindness.

Maybe this could be applied to other captives.  The whole 72 virgins idea seems like a serious desire for sex, so maybe we could hire "virgins" for other "interrogations."

Granted, this could backfire.  We may end up with "terrorists" turning themselves in for some "virgins."
Good luck finding any real virgins in the US   
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

I was imagining someone being waterboarded with a bucketful of cookie crumbs or something. This sounds much more pleasant.
Turquoise
O Canada

ghettoperson wrote:

I was imagining someone being waterboarded with a bucketful of cookie crumbs or something. This sounds much more pleasant.
"The UN Human Rights Commission opposes the use of cookie-boarding...."

"Nabisco just recently signed a government contract to produce the special interrogation cookies and boards."
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6776|Noizyland

Just leave cookie crumbs in someone's bed then sit back and watch the information flow freely.

Seriously though I don't know why this is so much of a surprise. It seems that on several occasions torture became the default option. There were cases of detainees at Guantanamo being tortured, (not necessarily to the extent of water-boarding but things like sleep deprivation,) not to find out what they know but to find out whether they know anything at all. Torture isn't ineffective it's just not effective enough to warrant it being used at the drop of a hat. This is why the "Good Cop, Bad Cop" routine is still used and still works despite it becoming a cliche - and people aren't opening up to the bad cop by the way.

Think of your worst enemy, (in my case a boss I had when I was 14.) Then think of him doing something unexpectedly kind, (in my case my boss giving me a bag full of slightly warped ice creams on his final day.) You're most likely going to be a bit taken aback and you'll be surprised how this one good act minimises all feelings of animosity towards the person.

(Of couse in my case the guy waited until closing time and said he "needed the ice-creams fo credit puposes" and took them off me - despite giving two co-workers a box full each.)
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

Ticia wrote:

lol and then Ghetto of the " bloody sheets "  shows up ! possibly to make a donation ?
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356
is that why I always had to leave a cookie for Santa ? was he with al qeuda ?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Bertster7 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Well that explains it then.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

in b4 cookie monster pic
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

Ticia wrote:

lol and then Ghetto of the " bloody sheets "  shows up ! possibly to make a donation ?
Why is it that you want to fuck me so badly?
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

ghettoperson wrote:

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

Ticia wrote:

Why is it that you want to fuck me so badly?
what I meant was...you must have had access to a virgin recently, hence the bloody sheets.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

you try to hard.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

burnzz wrote:

you try to hard.
"try to hard" to what ?
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6185|Ireland
It is good to know that the government is incompetent at interrogating terrorist.  Only in a political war do you give the enemy cookies and tea while asking them who killed 3000+ civilians.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Lotta_Drool wrote:

It is good to know that the government is incompetent at interrogating terrorist.  Only in a political war do you give the enemy cookies and tea while asking them who killed 3000+ civilians.
Only a moron would pursue a tactic they know fails because they are scared of not looking macho.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

are you under the impression that im some sort of terrorist sympathizer or fundamentalist or something?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard