Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

David Epstein, 46, a political science professor at the Ivy League school, faces one count of incest in the third degree, according to a complaint filed by the Manhattan District Attorney's office.

He had relations with his daughter, now 24, from 2006 through 2009, the complaint said. Epstein was released on his own recognizance after appearing before a judge on Thursday.
If convicted, Epstein faces up to four years behind bars.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6B94RN20101210
Epstein was charged last week with one-count of third-degree incest for what was allegedly a consensual three-year sexual relationship with his 24-year-old daughter.

Galluzzo the lawyer wrote:

"Academically, we are obviously all morally opposed to incest and rightfully so," Galluzzo said. "At the same time, there is an argument to be made in the Swiss case to let go what goes on privately in bedrooms."

"It's OK for homosexuals to do whatever they want in their own home," he said. "How is this so different? We have to figure out why some behavior is tolerated and some is not."
Galluzzo also said that even though Epstein's daughter had emerged as a victim in the case, she could "be best described as an accomplice."

Galluzzo continued: "If we assume for a moment that both parties [involved in incest] are consenting, then why are we prosecuting this?"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/1 … 97138.html

Reading the comments on HP, it seems like incest is inexcusable even if between two adults. But the lawyers logic is sound.

If homosexual relationships between two adults was considered an inexcusable thing a few years ago and is now considered a perfectly acceptable choice by most, how is regarding an incestuous relationship between two consenting adults as wrong not just another irrational cultural hangup?

I hope he manages to get off somehow. If they both consent, it's fine by me.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

Switzerland is considering making it legal because they feel it's a moral issue not a legal one. I can see the logic in that.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6740|Toronto | Canada

Incest is illegal not just due to moral reasons.  Its proven that incest brings about recessive mutations in the genotype of pretty well all organisms, basically causing severe problems or death in offspring. 

Biology 101
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5703|College Park, MD
hope she was hot
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina
If both people are legal adults, yeah...  I don't see the problem.

I mean, I would never do something like that, but whatever floats your boat.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6001|...
I'm with winston on this.
inane little opines
Sturgeon
+488|4943|Flintshire
If they're not reproducing, why is it illegal when homosexual relationships aren't etc?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6001|...
I doubt incest is a completely harmless relationship inbetween parent/kid. It's not like such relationships only start when they're both adults.

Still disturbing then.
inane little opines
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6781|Great Brown North

Sturgeon wrote:

If they're not reproducing, why is it illegal when homosexual relationships aren't etc?
they CAN'T reproduce
Sturgeon
+488|4943|Flintshire

krazed wrote:

Sturgeon wrote:

they CAN'T reproduce
No shit two men can't have a baby with each other. What I'm saying is, why is an incestuous relationship that doesn't reproduce illegal when homosexual relationships aren't?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Incest is illegal not just due to moral reasons.  Its proven that incest brings about recessive mutations in the genotype of pretty well all organisms, basically causing severe problems or death in offspring. 

Biology 101
Actually I don't think the numbers are anywhere near as bad as everyone makes out. Certainly not with cousins, not sure about parent/child, which lets be honest is far more fucked up.

But in any case, as long as they don't have kids what's the problem?
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6001|...
how can you guarantee that
inane little opines
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5703|College Park, MD

dayarath wrote:

you also can't guarantee that two people with an inheritable disease won't procreate but we don't outlaw that do we?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Turquoise
O Canada

dayarath wrote:

Subsidize abortion....  although some people would kill me for saying that.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Biology 101
If they make it legal here the Democrats will have a lock on both houses in a few years. Scary stuff.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT

ghettoperson wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Biology 101
Actually I don't think the numbers are anywhere near as bad as everyone makes out. Certainly not with cousins, not sure about parent/child, which lets be honest is far more fucked up.

All the European royals had hemophilia because of the closeness of their bloodlines.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

nukchebi0 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Biology 101

All the European royals had hemophilia because of the closeness of their bloodlines.
I was under the impression that's because the same families were breeding with each other for hundreds of years. Long term it's an issue, if you fucked your sister, the chance of the kid having a genetic defect is tiny.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5963|Places 'n such

nukchebi0 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Biology 101

That was a result of severe inbreeding though, not just two people.
Not that i agree with whats happening but its two consenting adults in private. I dont really care what theyre up to
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Turquoise
O Canada

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Biology 101
If they make it legal here the Democrats will have a lock on both houses in a few years. Scary stuff.
I don't know about that.  The Deep South is best known for its incest, and most of the participants are redneck conservatives.
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6745|Reality

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Biology 101
Not talking about procreation here, talking about sexual activity. Oranges and apples. The lawyer does have a point. Consenting adults and all that. But how does he plan to reconcile the psychological power a parent has over a son/daughter? It might be 'consensual' as opposed to consensual if you get what I mean. Like an employee/boss relationship i.e sexual harassment.

You are correct about the genetic problems of the offspring of an incestuous relationship.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone
Why isn't the daughter getting charged as well?

Not that either should...
Turquoise
O Canada

DrunkFace wrote:

Why isn't the daughter getting charged as well?

Not that either should...
No kidding.  It's the sort of sexism you never hear feminists talk about.
EVieira
+105|6480|Lutenblaag, Molvania
Its immoral and unatural for a father to have a relationship with his own daugther. Just as poligamy is illegal too.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
Turquoise
O Canada

EVieira wrote:

Its immoral and unatural for a father to have a relationship with his own daugther. Just as poligamy is illegal too.
I'm not a fan of polygamy or Mormonism, but in all seriousness, if more than 2 adults want to marry, who am I to stop them?

Now, don't get me wrong, we'd definitely need to revise tax laws to deal with this sort of thing, but other than that, it's not really the business of the state.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

Turquoise wrote:

EVieira wrote:

I'm not a fan of polygamy or Mormonism, but in all seriousness, if more than 2 adults want to marry, who am I to stop them?

Now, don't get me wrong, we'd definitely need to revise tax laws to deal with this sort of thing, but other than that, it's not really the business of the state.
It's not... but it's also just plain wrong. Whatever. To each his/her own.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard