Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6620|London, England
I'm sure most of you have heard about this, they're doing another one. This time loads of diplomatic documents and shit (not sure if it's just US documents or other governments too), the US has already admitted that the leaks are going to do harm to its relations with various countries around the world.

Really though, much like the Iraq and Afghan leaks...I doubt it'll reveal anything surprising or particularly new (nothing was classified 'top secret' so no aliens, yet, only 'secret' was the highest level), but it should be interesting.

Some links:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11856817
http://owni.fr/2010/11/27/wikileaks-sta … insurance/

I think they're going to release it tonight or tomorrow, through the website and papers like Guardian/Der Speigel and some other ones.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5236|Cleveland, Ohio
I don't give these guys my time.  Nor do i really care what some overpaid govt people say to eachother....unless it is about me.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6410|'Murka

I think the diplomatic leaks will probably be the most damaging. People expect crazy shit to happen in war, but for some reason expect states to be completely above board in their interstate relations--which is totally irrational, as diplomacy started out as recognized spying/hostage-taking.

Anyway...I would be surprised if there were other countries' information leaked, except as contained in US information. Assange doesn't seem to be interested in leaking any information about any country other than the US.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

FEOS wrote:

I think the diplomatic leaks will probably be the most damaging. People expect crazy shit to happen in war, but for some reason expect states to be completely above board in their interstate relations--which is totally irrational, as diplomacy started out as recognized spying/hostage-taking.

Anyway...I would be surprised if there were other countries' information leaked, except as contained in US information. Assange doesn't seem to be interested in leaking any information about any country other than the US.
Dilbert's hero.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Mekstizzle
WALKER
There's plenty of stuff they've done on other countries in the past, just that the ones about the US (specifically the last two about the wars, and this) are the biggest they've ever done. And naturally because they're centred around the US, they get the most media hype (but it's also clearly a new strategy of theirs to hype up releases in order to get more attention)
FEOS
+1,182|6410|'Murka

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert's hero.
?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

FEOS wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert's hero.
?
Julian Assange = Dilbert's hero.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
+1,182|6410|'Murka

Mekstizzle wrote:

There's plenty of stuff they've done on other countries in the past, just that the ones about the US (specifically the last two about the wars, and this) are the biggest they've ever done. And naturally because they're centred around the US, they get the most media hype (but it's also clearly a new strategy of theirs to hype up releases in order to get more attention)
Maybe just never heard of them before they did that, then.
― Albert Einstein

Mekstizzle
WALKER
It is interesting that the Americans/US Media tend to focus more on Assange himself than the leaks or the information being leaked itself. With the War Logs it was all about how traitorous the guy who leaked it was (nobody cared about the leak itself, just the fact that whoever did it was a traitor), and then there's the rape case on Assange that people always bring up, then there's constant talk about why it's always America being targeted. Discussions about Wikileaks and its ethics, literally everything except the actual information itself is discussed. Constantly diverting attention from the actual focus

I guess it's no different to how every thread with a FOX link ends up about Fox News rather than what the actual article was saying
11 Bravo
Banned

FEOS wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Maybe just never heard of them before they did that, then.
nobody has
jord
+2,382|6677|The North, beyond the wall.
Might spice up the news a bit more, I'm sick of irelands austerity measures/protests already.
FEOS
+1,182|6410|'Murka

Mekstizzle wrote:

It is interesting that the Americans/US Media tend to focus more on Assange himself than the leaks or the information being leaked itself. With the War Logs it was all about how traitorous the guy who leaked it was (nobody cared about the leak itself, just the fact that whoever did it was a traitor), and then there's the rape case on Assange that people always bring up, then there's constant talk about why it's always America being targeted. Discussions about Wikileaks and its ethics, literally everything except the actual information itself is discussed. Constantly diverting attention from the actual focus

I guess it's no different to how every thread with a FOX link ends up about Fox News rather than what the actual article was saying
Not true. The information that was leaked had already been investigated well before it was leaked. Its leaking was essentially a non-event for the US, except from a PR standpoint. So the only "new" thing the leak opened up was the source of the leak, so that became the focus for the US. Who did it and why.

As for this information, we don't know what it is yet, do we? So all we can do at this point is comment on Assange and his douchebaggery...which is the one constant through all of this.
― Albert Einstein

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
"the bureau chief in belgrade we all call slovak the butcher... he had very little rapport with his staff and his dispatches..."

"rapport: 'very little rapport with his staff', fucking moron!"

HOW DID YOU GET THIS?

don't blow a gasket, osborne.

pretty much sums up what i think of this 'news'. big deal.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Well its been released, lets see now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11858895

Obviously the website has now crashed (lol ddos attack according to wikileaks twitter http://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/8920530488926208)

http://wikileaks.org/

Guardian has some shit: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/the-us-embassy-cables

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-11-28 10:42:02)

11 Bravo
Banned
Mek were you hitting f5 every minute to see if it was released?

lol

Claims of inappropriate behaviour by a member of the British royal family.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6404|North Carolina

FEOS wrote:

Yeah, it basically looks like Assange just has a grudge against the U.S.  Maybe that sexual harassment trial will keep him busy.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6537|Long Island, New York
I'm afraid to go on the Wikileaks site to see what was released. The FBI will blackflag me

One of the things I heard was there's a plan between SK and the US for when NK collapses. ...So? Everyone knows it's going to happen eventually.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5960|Places 'n such
As much as I'm for keeping government as open as possible and accessible to everyone, I can see how this is going to cause some serious problems. It shouldn't have been released in my opinion.

#Edit: Unsurprisingly the wikileaks site isn't working too well.

Last edited by presidentsheep (2010-11-28 11:47:28)

I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

Poseidon wrote:

I'm afraid to go on the Wikileaks site to see what was released. The FBI will blackflag me

One of the things I heard was there's a plan between SK and the US for when NK collapses. ...So? Everyone knows it's going to happen eventually.
fairplay, one impression i have of you from the last few threads in D&ST is that you are one paranoid kid...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5960|Places 'n such
I want to find out what the stuff is that the newspapers have agreed not to release. Fuck going on some watch-list, it's probably just one more of a long string I'm on
Mekstizzle
WALKER

11 Bravo wrote:

Mek were you hitting f5 every minute to see if it was released?

lol

Claims of inappropriate behaviour by a member of the British royal family.
I'm guessing you were though on this thread so you could say that to me
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5960|Places 'n such
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

Mekstizzle wrote:

I first heard of them when they released the BNP member list. That was a awhile before the Iraq dump.

They used to have some interesting stuff on their site before they became obsessed with Iraq. Interesting not ground breaking.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5698
"Bargaining to empty the Guantanamo Bay prison camp - including Slovenian diplomats being told to take in a freed prisoner if they wanted to secure a meeting with President Barack Obama"

jord
+2,382|6677|The North, beyond the wall.
Gonna be a good news week methinks.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard