11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5379|Cleveland, Ohio
fail
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+796|6827|United States of America
The outrage a the FDA's action is strange to me. People are barely competent enough to handle caffeine or alcohol alone, let alone a mixture of a stimulant and depressant. It would be silly to ban Red Bull or such like as well just because people mix it with vodka, because the manufacturer doesn't put booze in it, that's the choice of the people who want a vodka + Red Bull.

Galt, the banana analogy is rather absurd as well, as anything in it doesn't affect the mind or behavior in a meaningful way compared to caffeine or alcohol (both of which are in the DSM-IV section on substance-related disorders)
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5500|London, England

DesertFox- wrote:

The outrage a the FDA's action is strange to me. People are barely competent enough to handle caffeine or alcohol alone, let alone a mixture of a stimulant and depressant. It would be silly to ban Red Bull or such like as well just because people mix it with vodka, because the manufacturer doesn't put booze in it, that's the choice of the people who want a vodka + Red Bull.

Galt, the banana analogy is rather absurd as well, as anything in it doesn't affect the mind or behavior in a meaningful way compared to caffeine or alcohol (both of which are in the DSM-IV section on substance-related disorders)
Let's ban everything!
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13rin
+977|6621
meh... The drinks are unsafe if abused (like most any product).  After the introduction of redbull/vodka, I was wondering how long it would take a company to combine the two into a drink. 

If anything, I'd be for the FDA regulating (lowering) the permissible alcohol content of them to say a 5.4% or something.  2-3 of those puppies at 12% will just fuck up your day.  It was always comical to watch those girls that could handle the taste of vodka or tequila drink a shit load of it and 20minutes later be puking their guts out cause they just consumed the equivalent of a 6 pack in a few seconds.   Now the drinks also taste good?  If there isn't a change and considering on the target age with respect drinking experience... Darwin's gonna be busy.

I drink beer all the time, but rarely exceed 1 an hour -so I usually don't get drunk.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+796|6827|United States of America

JohnG@lt wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Let's ban everything!
No one's advocating that. Stop making a straw man for yourself to go up against. The government can't regulate what people do themselves within reason, but they can regulate the producers of such products.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DesertFox- wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Let's ban everything!
No one's advocating that. Stop making a straw man for yourself to go up against. The government can't regulate what people do themselves within reason, but they can regulate the producers of such products.
So we should ban everything that people abuse? We should blame inanimate objects for what people do with them. Let's ban guns too.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-11-18 08:06:54)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6823|Disaster Free Zone

DrunkFace wrote:

They going to ban Tia Maria and Kahlua now too?
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6141|Vortex Ring State

DrunkFace wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

They going to ban Tia Maria and Kahlua now too?
NOOOO my Kahlua......
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6680|Long Island, New York

ghettoperson wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

First time I had a Four Loko, I had about a can and a half. I blacked out. I've drank it sparingly since then, but shit... just let me get drunk off of Vodka, Rum and Beer please. Of course, people are going to find a way to get the same effect anyways. No-Doz is the quickest solution. Buy some stock in the company that owns them.
Maybe you can explain this to me, because I've only had a small amount, but what is the difference between a Four Loko and a vodka Red Bull? Why would you be fucked up after a Four Loko and not a vodka Red Bull or two? I keep reading posts from people talking about how "they were like totally wasted man" after drinking these things, and all I can think is they must be totally inexperienced drinkers or something.
Not really much. It's the same effect, but a vodka red bull is a self-made concoction. Four Lokos are the Alcohol and Energy Drink being combined and sold as so. It's dangerous. It's not like most other types of alcohol which are generally fine. It's downright dangerous, but you know, Galt thinks he knows more than the FDA because his so rebellious and cool. He just had no friends in high school and didn't drink until his early 20's.

JohnG@lt wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

First time I had a Four Loko, I had about a can and a half. I blacked out. I've drank it sparingly since then, but shit... just let me get drunk off of Vodka, Rum and Beer please. Of course, people are going to find a way to get the same effect anyways. No-Doz is the quickest solution. Buy some stock in the company that owns them.
Maybe you can explain this to me, because I've only had a small amount, but what is the difference between a Four Loko and a vodka Red Bull? Why would you be fucked up after a Four Loko and not a vodka Red Bull or two? I keep reading posts from people talking about how "they were like totally wasted man" after drinking these things, and all I can think is they must be totally inexperienced drinkers or something.
In high school, these were the kids claiming to be drunk off of a half a wine cooler. Then they get to college and binge drink. Some die. Idiots like Poseidon blame the alcohol and/or people who provided it instead of the person that willingly consumed it. Dead people are never the cause, they are the victim. They are some piece of shits precious child and it would be rude to hold them liable. The problem with this is... Four Loko is a fad, just like Schmirnoff Ice was before it. What we need are parents who decide to worry about their own kid instead of trying to ban everything said kid touches. Cell phones increase the rate of sex among teens. Let's ban cell phones! Morons.
You don't get it, which isn't surprising at all. Four Loko in ITSELF is dangerous. Yes these kids were dumb enough to take too much, but I and many others who've actually had the drink (and I doubt you have) knows what it feels like after a can or two. And it's not like what it is when drinking beer or liquor. Not nearly.

I'm sure you'll come back with "well if you drink too much alcohol that's dangerous too" or some other retarded retort, and while that's true, that's if you drink a LOT. Even half a can of Four Loko can be dangerous.
Brasso
+1,549|6772

JohnG@lt wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

milk? in tea?
What, you drink it black? Coffee should be black, tea should not.
You have it backwards.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
11 Bravo
Banned
i had it before it was big news....tasted like shit and didnt give me any different feeling tbh
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Poseidon once again shows how childish he is.
-Frederick Bastiat
Brasso
+1,549|6772

on topic: what tastes like monster but doesnt have caffeine?
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
I've got a brilliant idea. Let's sell ammonium nitrate, gasoline and all other bomb making materials together in one bomb-esque package. It'll actually be a bomb, but we trust people will use it in a safe way.

Brasso wrote:

Meth.

Actually, I like the taste of monster. It doesn't have the rigid taste of coke and it's good for when you're not up for something plain.
Brasso
+1,549|6772

Poseidon wrote:

Brasso wrote:

Meth.

Actually, I like the taste of monster. It doesn't have the rigid taste of coke and it's good for when you're not up for something plain.
this was really useful, i was looking for your opinion
11 Bravo
Banned

Poseidon wrote:

I've got a brilliant idea. Let's sell ammonium nitrate, gasoline and all other bomb making materials together in one bomb-esque package. It'll actually be a bomb, but we trust people will use it in a safe way.
so people who drink irish coffee are any different?  why arent those banned?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Brasso wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Brasso wrote:

Meth.

this was really useful, i was looking for your opinion
My opinion is always correct. I am happy to oblige. I was glad to answer a question that had nothing to do with the OP/
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6547|North Carolina

Poseidon wrote:

You don't get it, which isn't surprising at all. Four Loko in ITSELF is dangerous. Yes these kids were dumb enough to take too much, but I and many others who've actually had the drink (and I doubt you have) knows what it feels like after a can or two. And it's not like what it is when drinking beer or liquor. Not nearly.

I'm sure you'll come back with "well if you drink too much alcohol that's dangerous too" or some other retarded retort, and while that's true, that's if you drink a LOT. Even half a can of Four Loko can be dangerous.
*shrugs*  Maybe natural selection should take precedence.  It seems fair to say that a young person who harms himself with Four Loko would be likely to do the same with any number of other substances even with the proposed restrictions in place.

You can't really make the system idiot proof, nor should you when looking at how stupid people hold back society.

Sometimes, the only way someone can learn is the hard way.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Poseidon, I know you're under age and haven't discovered alcoholic drinks that costs more than $3 per, but some of the most requested drinks in any bar is a combination of coca cola and either rum or jack daniels. Another popular drink combo is red bull and vodka. I know this because I tended bar for three years. Drinking Four Loco is no different than playing Edward Forty Hands with two bottles of OE. You get fucked up. Because it tastes fruity it's somehow worse? Ok, so take Mike's Hard Lemonade and other drinks off the market, take wine coolers off the market, take schmirnoff ice off the market. Four Loco isn't any more dangerous than other drinks, it just happens to be a fad mixed with inexperienced college binge drinkers. Kids are always dying from alcohol poisoning because they're idiots and they egg each other on to drink more than they can handle. That won't change all of a sudden when Four Loko's are banned, they'll just move on to the next fad. Ice luges, beer bongs, beer pong, whatever else are all dangerous if abused. Blame the abuser, not the inanimate object that did not put a gun to their head and force them to drink.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-11-18 10:41:23)

-Frederick Bastiat
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Turquoise wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

*shrugs*  Maybe natural selection should take precedence.  It seems fair to say that a young person who harms himself with Four Loko would be likely to do the same with any number of other substances even with the proposed restrictions in place.

You can't really make the system idiot proof, nor should you when looking at how stupid people hold back society.

Of course they would. There's absolutely no doubt. People will find a way to replicate the effects of Four Loko in no time, and like Ghettoperson posted, most people already know what a Vodka Red Bull is anyway. Or a Jagerbomb.

However and once again, this is a drink which in itself is extremely dangerous. Selling items alone which are fine yet when concocted together are dangerous is one thing. Selling an item which in itself is dangerous to drink is stupid and I'm glad the FDA took action.
Turquoise
O Canada

Poseidon wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Of course they would. There's absolutely no doubt. People will find a way to replicate the effects of Four Loko in no time, and like Ghettoperson posted, most people already know what a Vodka Red Bull is anyway. Or a Jagerbomb.

However and once again, this is a drink which in itself is extremely dangerous. Selling items alone which are fine yet when concocted together are dangerous is one thing. Selling an item which in itself is dangerous to drink is stupid and I'm glad the FDA took action.
I'm still not seeing how one Four Loko is dangerous.  Most of the evidence points to how multiple cans are a problem, not a single beverage.

For example, I've had a Four Loko, and it didn't mess me up.  Now, admittedly, I'm not a binger, nor have I ever been one, but when I was young, my lifestyle would not have led to any trip to the hospital, etc.

I guess it just seems like it would make more sense for the FDA to have forced Four Loko into liquor stores than to have pushed for removing its caffeine.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I'm still not seeing how one Four Loko is dangerous.  Most of the evidence points to how multiple cans are a problem, not a single beverage.

For example, I've had a Four Loko, and it didn't mess me up.  Now, admittedly, I'm not a binger, nor have I ever been one, but when I was young, my lifestyle would not have led to any trip to the hospital, etc.

I guess it just seems like it would make more sense for the FDA to have forced Four Loko into liquor stores than to have pushed for removing its caffeine.
Ding ding ding! Winner.
-Frederick Bastiat
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Turquoise wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I've never had more than a can and a half. I started shaking and my hands were trembling after the first time I had one. Maybe it's just my personal experience, but even after having 10-12 shots during a pregame, I NEVER feel that way.

Then again, I had a severe heart problem last year, and that could be why.

I don't know, man. I just don't see any reason to keep it on store shelves. Yes there are other ways to get the effect and those aren't really that bad, but Four Loko in itself is pretty bad. I would be fine if they put them back on store shelves (they're still out there, but without caffeine) with a giant warning on the side. Then, it really would be consumer beware. Just like cigarettes.
Turquoise
O Canada

Poseidon wrote:

I've never had more than a can and a half. I started shaking and my hands were trembling after the first time I had one. Maybe it's just my personal experience, but even after having 10-12 shots during a pregame, I NEVER feel that way.

I don't know, man. I just don't see any reason to keep it on store shelves. Yes there are other ways to get the effect and those aren't really that bad, but Four Loko in itself is pretty bad. I would be fine if they put them back on store shelves (they're still out there, but without caffeine) with a giant warning on the side. Then, it really would be consumer beware. Just like cigarettes.
That could work.  Warnings are fine, but I just dislike bans unless there's a really good reason.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Poseidon wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

It has alcohol in it. What more warning do people need? "Side effects include vomiting, dizziness, going to bed with strangers, excessive urination and possible death" Holy shit. Your problem isn't the drink, it's that you have zero tolerance for caffeine.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-11-18 10:52:57)

-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard