Riddick51PB
+21|6507|Lincoln.ne.us
here's my dad's line of thought: because i play an online war game, where i shoot and/or knife other soldiers in game, so i will do in real life: shoot real people and knife real people.  in other words, my father states there is no difference between reality and *in game* fantasy.

ok, we know the above is preposterous, but you can see what he's driving at.  worse still, my video card burned out and my dad says he will not buy me a new video card because of *his* logic in the first paragraph.

how would you counter argue against my dad's line of thought in the first paragraph?  that is, what sort of verbal defense would you use against him.  forget that i need a new video card, what sort of defense would you suggest against his argument.
tuckergustav
+1,590|5912|...

Dad, if I am at home sitting at my computer then I can not possibly be out in the world shooting and stabbing people...but if you don't buy me a video card I will be forced to go outside and find my own source of "entertainment"(be sure to use air quotes)

problem solved
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England
I would counter your dad's argument by getting off your fucking computer, getting a fucking job, and buying your own fucking video card.

Also, your dad is an idiot.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6564|Area 51
Dad if in your opinion this is the same, you could prevent me from going to jail. Because in a videogame I can do it without any legal consequences while in the real world I will do time in jail. Isn't my freedom worth a lousy videocard?

/SCORE!
jord
+2,382|6677|The North, beyond the wall.
I'm bored, get me a video card or I'm going to take up recreational drug use.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6567|Mountains of NC

https://l-userpic.livejournal.com/63833212/9634848

go to sleep father
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5998|The Mitten
"But you play those sex games online, and what does that get you?"
EE (hats
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6173|Sydney | ♥

Morpheus wrote:

LOL
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

Morpheus wrote:

fucking win m8. +1

naw most gamers are too fucking lazy to go out and kill people let alone have the patience to learn how to properly operate and maintain firearms.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Graphic-J
The Artist formerly known as GraphicArtist-J
+196|6125|So Cal

SEREMAKER wrote:

https://l-userpic.livejournal.com/63833212/9634848

go to sleep father
https://www.scientificamerican.com/media/inline/blog/Image/scared_man.jpg

Last edited by Graphic-J (2010-11-05 13:43:53)

https://i44.tinypic.com/28vg66s.jpg
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5998|Vortex Ring State
show him that you can't hold up a lead pipe that weighs 2 pounds, then ask him how you could possibly shoot a gun that weighs more if you can't hold that pipe up.

Also argue that playing and making these types of games has given people JOBS, such as the guy who made CS, the Red Orchestra Team, the Alien Swarm team, the DoTA guy, etc. etc.
PigPopTart
Shotgun whore
+133|6288|Pacific NW, USA
Your dad has extraordanary claims and he must back them up with extraordinary evidence in order for them to hold any ground.  If he can't produce any solid evidence on the claim (he can't) his theory is denied.   

But we're talking about a father and son deal here and its your dad's money so he can tell you to fak off, and any theory of his is valid without logical debate.

Sorry, sucks to be a kid sometimes.
BVC
+325|6694

Riddick51PB wrote:

here's my dad's line of thought: because i play an online war game, where i shoot and/or knife other soldiers in game, so i will do in real life: shoot real people and knife real people.  in other words, my father states there is no difference between reality and *in game* fantasy.

ok, we know the above is preposterous, but you can see what he's driving at.  worse still, my video card burned out and my dad says he will not buy me a new video card because of *his* logic in the first paragraph.

how would you counter argue against my dad's line of thought in the first paragraph?  that is, what sort of verbal defense would you use against him.  forget that i need a new video card, what sort of defense would you suggest against his argument.
Using your father's line of reasoning, we can argue the following:
- Anyone who plays monopoly (the board game) will financially shaft everybody whom they can later in life
- If you play chess, you're going to try and kill people who are not of your race (black vs white)
- If you play Risk, you've going to try raise an army and take over the world by force
etc

If reasoning with him fails, get a job and save up for a new video card yourself, even if its just stacking shelves for a few hours a week - this will demonstrate a work ethic and maturity, and your Dad will be more likely to consider your requests in the future because of it.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5963|London, England

What you should do is learn how to play the piano

then write beautiful concertos
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6658|BC, Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Methinks John hit the nail on the head here.

How many people who have played guitar hero that you know have gone on to become rock stars. Or even picked up a real guitar.

Last edited by Nic (2010-11-07 16:50:32)

War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6712|Purplicious Wisconsin

Pubic wrote:

Riddick51PB wrote:

Using your father's line of reasoning, we can argue the following:
- Anyone who plays monopoly (the board game) will financially shaft everybody whom they can later in life
- If you play chess, you're going to try and kill people who are not of your race (black vs white)
- If you play Risk, you've going to try raise an army and take over the world by force
etc

If reasoning with him fails, get a job and save up for a new video card yourself, even if its just stacking shelves for a few hours a week - this will demonstrate a work ethic and maturity, and your Dad will be more likely to consider your requests in the future because of it.
Comparing is 1 thing. Another is, you could try to getting your dad to get in a gaming place and make your dad plays a "Violent" video game and see for himself how it is. Just tell him to try before you judge, I know this will most likely fail especially if he is stubborn but you could try offering him to try just once. Another suggestion is let him watch Penn & Teller Bullshit(the episode of course about violent video games) and make him see the ending of it as well. Problem is they have nude girls in that so maybe not let him watch the episode if he has something against that, I can't remember if the episode did have nude girls or not unfortunately.

Last edited by War Man (2010-11-07 21:42:18)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Axatar
+29|6461|France
Remember, there was no violence before video games appeared.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6322|Graz, Austria
Tell him that in those video games you're not simply shooting and stabbing innocents, but enemy Nazi-commie-terrorists, who secretly produce weapons of mass destructions ("gay rays") and also clandestinely infiltrate the country with illegal, drug-dealing immigrants.

Seriously though, tell him that you're intending on learning Auto-CAD and 3D Studio Max (only $4000 and $3500 each) and need some powerful graphics cards for the intensive rendering.
Once you're good at it, you can go into the game developing business and create polygon models and maps for shooter games, while secretly adding subconscious, peace-loving, anti-violence messages.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4967|Dundee, Scotland.

Nic wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Methinks John hit the nail on the head here.

How many people who have played guitar hero that you know have gone on to become rock stars. Or even picked up a real guitar.
I did it the other way around
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6285|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Axatar wrote:

Remember, there was no violence before video games appeared.
^This

Ask him if he wants to go see a Movie, then ask him why he enjoys seeing people be killed...

if he answers "it's not real" he's just pwned himself and you have him headlocked...

Last edited by FloppY_ (2010-11-14 06:05:07)

­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

Print this poster size and hang it on your door.

https://img337.imageshack.us/img337/4605/1289719501136.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6499|so randum
punch him in the cock then steal his wallet
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
Tell him playing video games releases your pent up homicidal rages and distracts you from websites with instructions on making pipe bombs.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5683|SQUID
Yep, I'm gonna have to go with a crouching punch to his balls then steal his credit card.

Also: Yell "SHAZAMBO POPS"

Last edited by The A W S M F O X (2010-11-18 22:30:50)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

OP...so, how does your dad justify paying taxes to people who "knife and shoot" people en masse?

Also, he should stop listening to Jack Thompson and believing everything google says when it brings up results for 'do video games cause violence [in children].'

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard