uziq
+492|3445
the reason landlords adopt 'tough' attitudes like that is because the housing legislation in this country allowed them to buy-to-let. they are all mortgaged to the fucking hilt. a bunch of plumbers and small business owners on £70k a year who own and rent small property empires. it's a house of cards and they're all scared that as soon as the tenant payments (or generous government/council subsidies) dry up, they'll go broke.

of course, so much of the banking sector and economy is propped up with bad mortgage loans and rentier-class landlordism that it's 'too big to fail'.

this is why they are much disliked. they are essentially parasites who have established themselves in one of the interstitial spaces in the public housing system.

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-23 05:37:10)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
It's pretty much like I said regarding small businesses: most of the acts of cruelty done against poor people are committed by the middle class/upper middle class.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
+99|1880
I don't know why you all keep insisting that wall street stocks are 'fake numbers' . This is real value being lost. Not just hedge funds but pension funds, banks, people's saving accounts. It's bad. Really bad.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

I'm running into a lot more people agonizing about the economy. "If they'd just let everybody just got to work, maybe we could still salvage this" as the simple fix-it answer that only they're smart enough to consider. Gigantic blind spot for the "just the flu" pandemic that's seeing military convoys for coffins and seeing hospitals spill out into tents.

"Just give it to everybody and get it over with!"
uziq
+492|3445

Larssen wrote:

I don't know why you all keep insisting that wall street stocks are 'fake numbers' . This is real value being lost. Not just hedge funds but pension funds, banks, people's saving accounts. It's bad. Really bad.
because the growth has not been real, and evidently has no worth. it's bad, yes, but it's been bad sweeping all of the bad debt under the rug for the last 10 years, too, and letting the already-bailed-out institutions run away with more bad credit. really bad. what's bad is the fed bailing out the huge corporations again, and probably not instituting any legislation to stop practices like stock buyback. that's bad. it's just going to happen again and again and again.

the west's economic eminence is propped up by bad debt and immense corporate deficits. every time a crisis comes along to 'business as usual', the economy is going to try and deflate and let out all that bad gas trapped underneath the bedsheets. and these crises are only going to become depressingly more common. if it's not a pandemic, it'll be natural disaster, climate change, massive demographic change, etc.

nobody is clapping their hands with glee because johnny appleseed just lost his hard-earned savings account. of course this has human ramifications on a very personal level. but then again so did the financial crash, caused by banks, which wiped out half of greece's farmers and 'little guys'. weren't you just saying a few pages ago that it was totally necessary, and that the northern states in fact wanted to sado-masochistically 'inflict austerity' on the 'deserving' greek workers?

funny how your tone changes when it possibly affects your own balance sheet.

"guys, it's REALLY bad this time! seriously! my management consultancy are calling in another management consultancy and there's talk of 'corporate restructuring'! HR are sharpening their knives! and the central banks are saying they maybe won't just bail us out this time! they're talking about putting "the people" first! holy shit it's bad!"

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-24 04:30:56)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6099|eXtreme to the maX
A lot of the 'growth' has been companies borrowing cheap money to buy their own shares off the market, boosting the share price and allowing the execs to pay themselves their share-price incentivised bonuses, while dumping the debt on their shareholders.

The US market is based on speculative future share-price growth and few dividends. Fake growth tends not to rebound.
Other markets are a bit more rational, share prices are based on company value and steady dividends, in the long run they should rebound.

But yeah, it looks like company leaders who made bad calls are not going to be bailed out as last time and the time before.
This time its going to the hands of the people, although who we're all borrowing from I'm not sure.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712

Uzi wrote:

"guys, it's REALLY bad this time! seriously! my management consultancy are calling in another management consultancy and there's talk of 'corporate restructuring'! HR are sharpening their knives! and the central banks are saying they maybe won't just bail us out this time! they're talking about putting "the people" first! holy shit it's bad!"
I know you are being dramatic but stuff like this makes me so happy I work for the government and not a corporation. I don't ever want to go back to the private sector and be at the mercy of dumb ass managers and the fake numbers on Wall Street.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5351|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Uzi wrote:

I know you are being dramatic but stuff like this makes me so happy I work for the government and not a corporation. I don't ever want to go back to the private sector and be at the mercy of dumb ass managers and the fake numbers on Wall Street.
You do realize that government finances are cratering right now and they are going to try to claw back all the money you're making while sitting on your ass smoking weed, right?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
You sound bitter.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6730|Oxferd Ohire
No mac it's everyone else who is mad
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
Anyway, it is interesting that there are no shortages of food or energy at this moment. A good portion of our service sector is gone for now but people will not be starving or homeless unless the political choice is made for them to be. It's quite possible that we could have an economy that doesn't require mass consumption and never ending expansion.
Larssen
+99|1880

uziq wrote:

Larssen wrote:

because the growth has not been real, and evidently has no worth. it's bad, yes, but it's been bad sweeping all of the bad debt under the rug for the last 10 years, too, and letting the already-bailed-out institutions run away with more bad credit. really bad. what's bad is the fed bailing out the huge corporations again, and probably not instituting any legislation to stop practices like stock buyback. that's bad. it's just going to happen again and again and again.

the west's economic eminence is propped up by bad debt and immense corporate deficits. every time a crisis comes along to 'business as usual', the economy is going to try and deflate and let out all that bad gas trapped underneath the bedsheets. and these crises are only going to become depressingly more common. if it's not a pandemic, it'll be natural disaster, climate change, massive demographic change, etc.

nobody is clapping their hands with glee because johnny appleseed just lost his hard-earned savings account. of course this has human ramifications on a very personal level. but then again so did the financial crash, caused by banks, which wiped out half of greece's farmers and 'little guys'. weren't you just saying a few pages ago that it was totally necessary, and that the northern states in fact wanted to sado-masochistically 'inflict austerity' on the 'deserving' greek workers?

funny how your tone changes when it possibly affects your own balance sheet.

My balance sheet is still relatively stable. I work with the public sector in critical stuff. Everyone else on the other hand...

My argument on the Greeks wasn't just one on 'sadism' it was also the lack of better options. Varoufakis' proposal to pump an even more obscene amount of money in the greek economy to 'stimulate' growth was even more uncertain and politically completely impossible. But what do I know, I'm not an economist so I'll refrain from strong judgments on this matter. I'm pretty certain I did so in the past as well. Doesn't mean I have no compassion for the average greek, but it's a fact the greek political class screwed over their own people through fraudulent behaviour in the EU.

On that topic I don't know enough about the current state of debt cycles of nations and large insurance companies/banks to comment meaningfully. All I know is that the stock market became volatile before the crisis in part due to economic uncertainty.
uziq
+492|3445
yes, what do you know? because pumping vast amounts of money into the economy was precisely what europe opted for several years later (after the insurgent and rebellious greeks were put to the whip, evidently much to your satisfaction). what was quantitative easing? what are all these ‘stimulus bills’ that get cooked up with haste in a week when the banks get threatened?

how quaint that you buy the line that greece's own elite, with its local corruptions and wastefulness, it's 'small envelopes' and fakelaki, are the reason their economy crashed. nothing to see here. europe the beneficent alma mater!

the stock market is volatile because it has been allowed to ‘grow’ using shady means and lax oversight. just like the giant bubble that burst in 2008. we learned nothing. trump and his cronies were reliant on the stock market’s record highs for their news churn. it’s good for ratings. trump could go on tv and brag about ‘the biggest numbers ever’ and give americans the impressions that his shitshow of cronyism and deregulation were achieving great things. similar to how european centrist governments kept repeating their record unemployment levels and stressing the great recovery of their economies. well that’s all being nicely put to the test, now that the third of every country's population who are without secure employment are applying to have the government pay their wages, isn’t it? bad solutions, fake recovery, and the same people making off into the sunset with the wealth generated.

yet again the executives who were spared prison and spared iniquity in 2008 are giving themselves bumper bonuses — and expecting nationalisation of their industries when the vehicle they’re driving inevitably spins out of control. the same people who took the bailout money post-2008, with a firm admonishment, and then proceeded to refuse credit to struggling businesses and little men, are queuing up for another tranche of fed handouts. nothing has changed.

can you believe sarkozy said this at the time?

‘A particular notion of globalisation is over, along with the end of finance capitalism, which imposed its logic on the entire economy and helped to distort it.’
recent commentary on macron's address to the nation about coronavirus:

Up at the top of the speech, Macron insisted that it was impossible to put a price on health. By the end, he was extolling the virtues of the welfare state and arguing that certain goods and services ‘must be placed beyond the laws of the market’. In a glancing blow at globalisation, he identified a ‘model’ with ‘great flaws’: it was ‘madness’ to delegate the nation’s basic needs – food, ‘protection’ (a reminder that he regards Nato as ‘brain-dead’) and health – to others.
you've got to laugh -- that or you'd cry.

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-25 06:59:24)

Larssen
+99|1880
Uziq, I have no qualms in stating that I'm simply not knowledgeable enough in certain fields to hold long-winded debates on these matters or to evaluate chosen economic policy approaches on their merits. I strongly believe we'd all be better for it if we admit to our own ignorance here and there, as at the end of the day it's just not possible to be well-informed on every topic. There are too many seemingly intelligent people who feel they have or need to have opinions on literally everything by virtue of the notion that they're intelligent ergo that their opinions have great value (answer: probably not). Thereby also failing to recognise there's quite possibly yet smarter individuals who actually studied these subjects making the policies. Not to justify continued ignorance, but to recognise personal limitations and adjust our opinions accordingly.

Neither of us has an actually in-depth macroeconomics background, though I'm willing to bet I have a little more experience there, but only in very specific contexts. It was enough to realise that I'm not the person to answer for these issues and to understand that certain global systems are so fundamental they won't change even if 1 or 2 world leaders will it. Even if the majority wanted it.  Maybe you're now seeing that too by quoting two french presidents stating more or less the same shit within a span of 10 years. I put some faith in Macron on these matters considering his strong background in finance, but even for him seeing problems and being able to solve them are still two separate things.

Anyway, on the topic of big company bailouts. Whether we like it or not the large players in the private sector are vital to the well-being and stability of our societies. I'll be in agreement that we need to find our way to a more healthy public-private partnership and that we can do much better there drawing from Chinese or Singaporean examples etc, though I don't know what that should look like here or how to implement it. Maybe you can read a book or two about that instead of Hegel and Kant and share some newfound insights, or maybe just give it a rest and understand that things can be complicated and intricate to a degree untangling the mess is a process of generations, not weeks or even a few years.
uziq
+492|3445
i haven't pretended to be a macroeconomic theorist, but to say that it was 'politically impossible' to bail out the greeks, when quantitative easing followed quickly on the heels of years of stringent austerity, is to be illiterate as to the basic sequence of events. so the greeks had to be wiped out and suffer before the EU changed its tack and tried something else? that's a bitter pill to swallow.

and ah, yes, macron, the banker-president who is presiding over widespread reforms of the 'french system'. what can possibly go wrong! let's dismantle all that chintzy furniture from the mitterand era and put in its place ... er, more neoliberal banking orthodoxy. how long have the jaunes been on the streets now for?

i don't read kant or hegel, by the by. i did when i was a graduate student and it was directly relevant. not sure i've ever even mentioned any kant. have you read the new piketty yet?

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-25 08:28:50)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Greece barely ever had an economy and the whole country is corrupt.
What benefit did anyone think pumping money in would produce?
And again it wasn't really Greece which was bailed out, Europe rallied round to bail out the German banks and hence the German economy.
As a thank you they flooded Europe with refugees, no wonder Brexit happened.
Larssen
+99|1880

uziq wrote:

i haven't pretended to be a macroeconomic theorist, but to say that it was 'politically impossible' to bail out the greeks, when quantitative easing followed quickly on the heels of years of stringent austerity, is to be illiterate as to the basic sequence of events. so the greeks had to be wiped out and suffer before the EU changed its tack and tried something else? that's a bitter pill to swallow.

and ah, yes, macron, the banker-president who is presiding over widespread reforms of the 'french system'. what can possibly go wrong! let's dismantle all that chintzy furniture from the mitterand era and put in its place ... er, more neoliberal banking orthodoxy. how long have the jaunes been on the streets now for?

i don't read kant or hegel, by the by. i did when i was a graduate student and it was directly relevant. not sure i've ever even mentioned any kant. have you read the new piketty yet?
It's two separate things. Quantitative easing wasn't intended to overflow the greek economy with money, only to stabilise and cover debt securities held by private companies and governments who had bought them from countries like Greece. It was to prevent a cascade of economic shrinkage and bankruptcies throughout the continent. In addition austerity was imposed/enacted in Greece to shore up their finances.

Reading Hegel in the context of his time is gunna require some level of understanding on Kant.

I have not read the new piketty. Any takeaways?

Last edited by Larssen (2020-03-26 03:50:33)

uziq
+492|3445
i meant i've not mentioned kant here in any context. not much room for discussions of the noumenon. hegel has been mentioned in passing with hsi relation to history, but mostly hegel gets mentioned to poke fun at jay, who once upon a time read a 2,200 word stub of an article and considered himself a hegel scholar. but thanks for the beginner's philosophy course. heard of descartes? yuuuuge celebrity.

right. so the greek farmers deserved their lot and had to tighten their belts to make up for it. but the financial institutions at the heart of the finagling, mismanagement, and bad debt were thrown money to rescue them from their sympathetic plight. got it.

please just don't act so confused or affronted when nasty right-wing thugs start sprouting from the soil like cadmus's teeth.

Any takeaways?
not as of late -- there's a quarantine on.

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-26 03:57:54)

Larssen
+99|1880
From memory, I believe the whole mess started because the Greek government literally lied on its budget reporting to the European Union. Lack of monetary oversight was a huge talking point during those years and as a result the role of the ECB in safeguarding economic stability in the EEA was expanded, including better coordination in several working groups.

The greek farmer most of all suffered because their (left-wing) populist leaders in the preceding 2 decades were con-men. If you want to jail anyone for the financial crisis at the time, start there. I'm not confused about the rise of more populist right wing dickheads since, just disappointed.

We still have takeaway
uziq
+492|3445
Pasok wasn't solely responsible for the culture of clientelism that is endemic in those countries. you sound like a shill when you try to smear it like that.
Larssen
+99|1880
Fudging the numbers is a crime. Had they not, the financial crisis would still have happened but action to stabilise the greek economic situation would've been on the table much sooner. The draconian measures that ended up being implemented cannot be seen outside of that context.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

so the greek farmers deserved their lot and had to tighten their belts to make up for it.
You can't just throw billions of euros at a country on the basis we need to protect them from themselves.

Maybe they'll pay more attention when they next vote in a government.
uziq
+492|3445
hold the people that commit the crimes responsible, it's not a complicated concept. annihilating the agrarian poor and the owners of modest hostels and restaurants really seems like a good penitence for institutional white-collar crime.

the whole point rather is that no one learns and no one heeds any attention, because the people cooking the books know they can get away with it.

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-26 05:21:58)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
In America it is the small farmers and business owners who mostly support the Republican party and its economic policy that hurts average people. I wouldn't be surpirsed if it works the same way in Greece.
uziq
+492|3445
banks have been formally warned this time in the UK about predatory practices. so perhaps we have attained a modicum of wisdom from 2008. here's free money -- now please don't fuck over people by refusing them credit or upping your interest rates.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard