SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716

RTHKI wrote:

should i vote for boner in 2016
Obviously. You Catholics always vote in a bloc for one of your own.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6734|Oxferd Ohire
good enough reason for me
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Pocshy2.0
+23|3367
I have an investment question that I've really never had to deal with before, and google isn't giving me a satisfactory answer. I own some Visa (NYSE: V) shares, and the company has just announced a stock split. I understand what this is and means, but my question is more to do with the timeline. Will the split occur in the next quarter? In 2 weeks? Or is it totally decided by the company?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

need to work on your google skills

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/29/investi … ock-split/

March 19th.  Your daddy comes home on March 19th.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3367
Perfect! Thanks KEN. I was searching more broadly for stock split information, and not info particular to the stock. I gave up on the later after 6-7 articles that said nothing.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
The free community college plan is really stupid. Instead of further devaluing college degrees, we should improve K-12 education and the student loan process.
13rin
+977|6476
Banked last year... Seriously.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England
TRADITIONAL CAPITALISM: You have two cows. You sell one and buy a bull. Your herd multiplies, and the economy grows. You sell them and retire on the income.

AMERICAN CAPITALISM: You have two cows. You sell three of them to your publicly listed company, using letters of credit opened by your brother-in-law at the bank, then execute a debt/equity swap with an associated general offer so that you get all four cows back, with a tax exemption for five cows. The milk rights of the six cows are transferred via an intermediary to a Cayman Island company secretly owned by the majority shareholder who sells the rights to all seven cows back to your listed company. The annual report says the company owns eight cows, with an option on one more. You sell one cow to buy a new president of the United States, leaving you with nine cows. No balance sheet provided with the release. The public buys your bull.

AUSTRALIAN CAPITALISM: You have two cows. You sell one, and force the other to produce the milk of four cows. You are surprised when the cow drops dead.

FRENCH CAPITALISM: You have two cows. You go on strike because you want three cows.

JAPANESE CAPITALISM: You have two cows. You redesign them so they are one-tenth the size of an ordinary cow and produce twenty times the milk. You then create clever cow cartoon images called Cowkimon and market them worldwide.

GERMAN CAPITALISM: You have two cows. You re-engineer them so they live for 100 years, eat only once a month, and milk themselves.

BRITISH CAPITALISM: You have two cows. Both are mad.

CANADIAN CAPITALISM: You have two cows. Come to think of it, they look more like a pair of moose - in fact, yes they are. One speaks French, one speaks English. One fights to create a new country, the other won't let it. They both play ice hockey rather well.

ITALIAN CAPITALISM: You have two cows, but you don't know where they are. You break for lunch.

RUSSIAN CAPITALISM: You have two cows. You count them and learn you have five cows. You count them again and learn you have 42 cows. You count them again and learn you have 12 cows. You stop counting cows and open another bottle of vodka.

SWISS CAPITALISM: You have 5000 cows, none of which belong to you. You charge an outrageous fee to others for storing them.

CHINESE CAPITALISM: You have two cows. You have 300 people milking them. You claim full employment, high bovine productivity, and arrest and detain without trial the journalist who reported the number of cows.

NEW ZEALAND CAPITALISM: You have two cows. That one on the left is kinda cute...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
Stupid
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
This oil war won't last forever. COVID 19 won't last forever, or it will kill us all, either way its not important.
When is the time to buy back in?

I'm swimming in cash right now, if I can be smart about this - which is a big if obviously - and I have some luck I ought to be able to set myself up nicely, I did OK out of the GFC.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I'd buy now. Can't time a bottom and it's already dropped 20%.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I've made that mistake many times, then it drops another 20%.
I should wait until its picked up 5% and the recovery looks solid but never do.
But then everyone else piles in at that point so what can you do.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

i want to buy another property but I will only do it if i can time it perfectly. I was originally thinking 18 months was a good range about 6 months ago. Now I'm thinking this summer might be a good time to pull the trigger. But I have to convince my mom to move in with one of my siblings...
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
You are evicting your mom?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

no, not really. It's really a win for everyone - one of my siblings will get free childcare for the grandkids, my mom will be able to retire comfortably and whoever she moves in with will be able to afford a larger house due to my mom's piece of our current condo.

My mom doesn't want to give up her work/social/volunteering life yet though. She said once she's ready to quit all her activities she will consider it.

I just want to buy an actual house with a huge yard instead of condos where I have to pay HOAs and Mello-Roos. I have an HOA at my mom's and an HOA AND Mello-Roos at my current condo.

I want a yard so i can plant a garden and let a dog run around.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
You are evicting your mom for a yard and dog. Have you ever even had a dog?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
There were a few dogs in our street, the crazy guy didn't like their barking so he threw poisoned meat over the fence.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I want a yard so i can plant a garden and let a dog run around.
In five years you'll be like "fuck, maintenance sucks. I wish I had a condo."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
The fake numbers on Wall Street are going up today because Trump promised a tax cut. Crisis averted.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
Fake numbers are falling again
Stocks plunged on Wednesday, with the Dow Jones industrial average falling into a bear market, in a drop that reflected investors’ fear that Washington won’t be able to muster a response to the economic crisis triggered by the spreading coronavirus.

A bear market begins when stocks have fallen 20 percent from their high.Though it’s a somewhat arbitrary threshold, in financial markets the designation acknowledges what many investors are surely feeling — that fear-based trading in the stock market may not end soon.

The last time stocks in the United States were in a bear market was during the height of the financial crisis, more than a decade ago.

The S&P 500 fell nearly 5 percent on Wednesday, while the Dow droppednearly 6 percent.
uziq
+492|3449
my girlfriend is at the world’s top art school. there are lots of international students and wealthy chinese there. there is a huge email circular going around, started by the chinese students, pleading with the school to put off exams and courses this term. apparently a huge number of the chinese wealthy/bourgeois are being wiped out overnight, or taking huge pay cuts/demotions, or essentially just being cut off or moved around at a moment’s notice by government intervention.

lots of students abroad being cut off rather abruptly. and lots of not so wealthy students studying abroad whose parents were no doubt killing them selves to pay for the tuition, and whose factory or clerical job is on hold.

interesting aspect. as of yesterday a lot of journalists were crawling over the story and trying to get some students to spill.

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-11 13:26:11)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The Chinese are highly leveraged, the Chinese stock market is the most leveraged in the world, they go into colossal debt to buy apartments made of breadsticks (in China and Aus...)

The GFC was bad but it was almost a theoretical issue which didn't really affect anything. Most real businesses carried on paying their dividends etc.
This will be different as people won't be working, consuming, and businesses will be shutting down, govt tax receipts will fall etc.
uziq
+492|3449
the GFC a theoretical issue?

https://fullfact.org/media/uploads/What_wages_are_worth_Sept_18_update.png

lol. it's been a lost decade.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Some investment bank's complex leveraged gambles didn't pay off for them and people got hit with a 5% pay cut?

Thats mild compared to this.

Boeing, a company which actually makes real things, could be on the point of being liquidated. Not long before the only aeroplane on the market is a shitty chinese copy of a 737. What progress that will be.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6287|Washington St.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Boeing, a company which actually makes real things, could be on the point of being liquidated.
wtf, where did you hear this?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard