Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5383|London, England

Cybargs wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

You know what G@lt, our country is so progressive even you could come here and become president Prime Minister. Hell, we have a women from Wales doing the job right now.
Cool. Our only requirement is that our President is born here and he's over the age of 35.
i think they should change that to having residency in the US for at least 20 years. but sadly that shit won't change.
Why? Who understands the problems Americans face than someone who is born here? You think we can't find an adequate president among the 300 million souls who live here?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6430|North Carolina

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cool. Our only requirement is that our President is born here and he's over the age of 35.
i think they should change that to having residency in the US for at least 20 years. but sadly that shit won't change.
Why? Who understands the problems Americans face than someone who is born here? You think we can't find an adequate president among the 300 million souls who live here?
Actually, there's a pretty strong libertarian argument in favor of removing that limitation.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Actually, there's a pretty strong libertarian argument in favor of removing that limitation.
That's fine. I'm not 100% in lockstep with any particular ideology.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6706|Disaster Free Zone

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Because someone who immigrated there at the age of 2 months, Has No idea about the country.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6741

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

does make "birthers" shut the fuck up though. I'm sure living in the states for 20 years would let you understand quite a lot of problems in America. hell you don't even have to live there to understand.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
jord
+2,382|6703|The North, beyond the wall.

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Being born there has no bearing on knowedge of American issues or political competence. What's the difference between someone who is born there and someone who lived there from age 20-40? Fuck all really.

And I was gonna make a quip about your last sentance with something like "judging by the last 30 years, no". But its no laughing matter...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DrunkFace wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Because someone who immigrated there at the age of 2 months, Has No idea about the country.
Shrug. It's not that big of a deal.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6430|North Carolina

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

That's fine. I'm not 100% in lockstep with any particular ideology.
conformist  ... you just go in whatever direction the wind blows... 
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6797|PNW

I have no idea why any American would resent the potential for people's lots improving in other countries. I'd consider it a cultural victory, even if passive.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6626|132 and Bush

Not this Generation. Baby Boomers in general are pathetic, selfish. They are allergic to responsibility.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6496

Kmar wrote:

Not this Generation. Baby Boomers in general are pathetic, selfish. They are allergic to responsibility.
they say that about every previous generation, and have been doing so since the start of your nation

"bloody unitarians"
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6626|132 and Bush

I guess I'm having a hard time comparing them to this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Generation

Maybe with each generation we sink into a deeper swamp of dumb?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6657|949

how hyperbolic of mr. tom brokaw
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6626|132 and Bush

Maybe you should read it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6657|949

uhh, i read the wiki article on it, duh.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6626|132 and Bush

It's actually a descent book. A bit sensationalized maybe .. but descent.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6496
*decent
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

Kmar wrote:

they say that about every previous generation, and have been doing so since the start of your nation

"bloody unitarians"
It's true though. The baby boomers generally suck. Bunch of self important hypocrites and every last one of them seems to have found the time to be at Kent State and in Montgomery during King's march. "Our generation did so much for the country" Thanks for the debt assholes.
-Frederick Bastiat
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6544|Πάϊ

EVieira wrote:

Freedom and economic power, that makes a great combination. The land of opportunity. But does that validate American Exceptionalism? I don't think so. That does not put american society in a higher ground to others, a "city in the hill".

The US is exceptional in many ways, mainly economic, but that does not validate American Exceptionalism.
Why not? Who better to lead the way than those who have made it to the top of the capitalist food chain? The way I see it, success is measured in money and their system has proved superior to all others when it comes to making bucks.
ƒ³
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6131|eXtreme to the maX

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert... that's all by design... Americans want a dysfunctional government. The government being fucked up is a lot of the reason why we have maintained our freedom for the past 250 years and why no dictator has grabbed the reins. I'm ecstatic right now that the Republicans took control of the House, not because I agree with their platform, for the most part I don't, but because it means nothing will get done for the next two years. The country is fine the way it is, we don't need one party rule and an ideology that represents the minority having full power. The rallying cry for most Americans is a belief in small government, and little intrusion into our daily lives. A split government is the best for maintaining this ideal.
In that case wouldn't it be better to have that system for 4/4 years instead of 1-2/4 years?

Lurching from total govt power to zero govt power and then lurching from Left to Right and vice versa continuously seems like a really poor way to manage a country.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Pure-Fodder2
+1|4949
“almost every other place in the world…what you were going to be when you grow up was determined for you.”
[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/17/social-immobility-climbin_n_501788.html[/url]
A new report  from the Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD) finds that social mobility between generations is dramatically lower in the U.S. than in many other developed countries.

So if you want your children to climb the socioeconomic ladder higher than you did, move to Canada.

The report finds the U.S. ranking well below Denmark, Australia, Norway, Finland, Canada, Sweden, Germany and Spain in terms of how freely citizens move up or down the social ladder. Only in Italy and Great Britain is the intensity of the relationship between individual and parental earnings even greater.
Even if you just look at the rich countries, US (and UK) social mobility indicatiors show that they are the places where what you are going to be when you grow up is determined for you more than most countries.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6544|Πάϊ
ok I can't believe you guys are seriously discussing american exceptionalism - or any other exceptionalism for that matter...

largely empty rhetoric aiming to unite the states of america... obsolete bullshit
ƒ³
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6380

JohnG@lt wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Who gives a fuck what the rest of the world thinks about us? Do I lose sleep because people in Yemen dislike us tremendously? Fuck no.
I know, we should just go back to a policy of isolationism. Then we'd be the BEST!
No, we just need less people like you that worry excessively about popular opinion regarding America in places like Europe. Why does popular opinion of us in Europe mean anything? It doesn't.
We have a Hell of aways to go before we equal Europe in Historic humanitarian debacles and that is just counting the last half a century.

PS * are you hinting the man has pulled a " joe biden " ?
PPS note space between quote and question mark above
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6131|eXtreme to the maX

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

We have a Hell of aways to go before we equal Europe in Historic humanitarian debacles and that is just counting the last half a century
You mean like the American native Indians?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6380
In the simplest terms,  America rewards achievement more. That is changing but the last election may slow that change. God willing they may reverse it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard