Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England
Can't say that I'm especially sorry to see the fiscal fiasco that was one party rule come to an end. However, I do feel that the outgoing members of Congress missed their chance on an issue that frankly outweighed all the other crap they attempted to shovel into the past two years. That would be the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act (at least the third clause, I respect the second clause on state's rights grounds) and of Don't Ask Don't Tell. The great social issue over the past twenty years has been the rights of gay people. While I myself am not gay, I do have quite a few friends that are, and I feel it is a travesty that they are treated as second class citizens in their country simply because of the way they were born. It's not a handicap, these are fully functional, taxpaying citizens of the United States and deserve the same rights and protections as anyone else living in this country. To be socially and politically ostracized simply because of a vocal minority of religious bigots does not sit well with me.

Obama and Congress really dropped the ball on this one. He let his own bigotry get the best of him (black people are notoriously anti-gay). It's too bad too, because this would've been something he could've been proud of when his time as President came to an end. C'est la vie.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
whole thing isnt surprising tbh
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
I'm going to put my hand  up and say I didn't expect this post from you at all.

Good post, though.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spark wrote:

Good post, though.
Ha! Why not? I'm as socially liberal as they come
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

I think the Obama Democrats, with what political capital they had to work with, would have been better off focusing on equal rights for homosexuals than pushing for bloated health care reform.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I think the Obama Democrats, with what political capital they had to work with, would have been better off focusing on equal rights for homosexuals than pushing for bloated health care reform.
That's pretty much my point. With the health care bill they essentially did nothing except drive up the price. With this, they could've done something long lasting that their party could rally around. Wasted opportunity. I'm just glad the cap and trade crap died.
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

JohnG@lt wrote:

Spark wrote:

Good post, though.
Yeah I know but I thought you would've left that for later, since you seem to be more concerned about fiscal frugality than anything else.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6706|Purplicious Wisconsin
I AM SO FUCKING HAPPY!!! Wisconsin sure as hell looks good in red. It's good to be in a Republican state now and good that Wisconsin switched back to Republican after nearly 2 decades of being Democrat. So good the birthplace of the Republican party is back to being Republican. Although fox news is saying it's a surprise Ron Johnson beat Russ Feingold, it really isn't a surprise, we've just been ignored.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

JohnG@lt wrote:

He let his own bigotry get the best of him (black people are notoriously anti-gay).
That's a bit of a stretch.

Do you think it maybe it was because:

A. Gays generally vote democrat over republicans anyway so there isn't a real clear benefit to helping them since helping the group that's always with you would alienate the ones you are reaching out to?

B. Democrats were too busy fighting wars over other stuff which was more important?

C. Maybe all the Democrats aren't all for gay marriage and it would have been impossible and not worth it to split his own party.

I don't know, calling him a bigot seems kinda
https://www.cemzoo.com/pokedex/83.gif

Spoiler (highlight to read):
the pokemon's name is Farfetch'd

Last edited by Macbeth (2010-11-02 20:07:01)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spark wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Spark wrote:

Good post, though.
Yeah I know but I thought you would've left that for later, since you seem to be more concerned about fiscal frugality than anything else.
But I know never to expect that from Democrats I expect social issues to be brought up to date when they are in office. Instead, they focussed on their weakness, economics.
-Frederick Bastiat
War Man
Considering economics is what really Americans mainly cared about yes of course they'd need to focus on it.
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
Well in a sense that's why they won the election... Obama definitely won the economic debate in  the campaign.
~ Richard Feynman
War Man

Spark wrote:

Well in a sense that's why they won the election... Obama definitely won the economic debate in  the campaign.
He really didn't win that, he won by his message of "Hope and Change"

Last edited by War Man (2010-11-02 20:14:18)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

War Man wrote:

Considering economics is what really Americans mainly cared about yes of course they'd need to focus on it.
It's not the job of politicians to create jobs. Their job is to stay the fuck out of the way. Americans seem to have the ludicrous idea that politicians can snap their fingers and conjure jobs out of thin air. Doesn't work like that. The government should not be focussed on the economy, they should be focussed on their job, which is writing and enacting legislation that deals with issues between individuals. Why people expect a bunch of lawyers who have never held a real job to magically gain the knowledge to plan and run an economy is beyond me. If the economy is good or bad, it generally has nothing to do with the actions taken by politicians. They simply get the blame when times are bad because they have the hubris to take credit when times are good.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-11-02 20:29:01)

-Frederick Bastiat
War Man
Ah no it's the other way around. Democrats think they can conjure jobs with a snap of their fingers, people know this is not the case.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

War Man wrote:

Ah no it's the other way around. Democrats think they can conjure jobs with a snap of their fingers, people know this is not the case.
They both make the same promises every election cycle. Cutting taxes has as little to do with stimulating an economy as tossing out a trillion dollars of stimulus.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Looks like Prop 19 went down in flames too. Oh well.
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5694|College Park, MD

JohnG@lt wrote:

FUCK are you serious? well it's only 3% of precincts reporting right now

oh well, californians have made their own bed. They'd rather continue to enable the cartels instead of be fucking sensible.

The idiocy that pervades this country makes me want to grab a nail gun and put it in my mouth sometimes.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

oh well, californians have made their own bed. They'd rather continue to enable the cartels instead of be fucking sensible.

The idiocy that pervades this country makes me want to grab a nail gun and put it in my mouth sometimes.
I don't smoke weed but even I would've voted in favor of it simply to destroy the cartels and gang violence in the cities.
-Frederick Bastiat
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6647

And yet an easy-to-abuse drug like alcohol is still legal

I remember my first year of college, living in the dorms, 3 or 4 nights of the week an ambulance was called because some kid needed to be taken to the hospital and have their stomach pumped and had alcohol poisoning.

And where are the stereotypical stories of the stoner dad who comes home late at night after a major smoking session with the guys, then decides to beat his wife and children because the dinner that was sitting on the table wasn't hot.

Or those times when an innocent family of four was killed by a stoned driver swerving along the highway at 100mph.

Also, it shouldn't have even been put up to a vote and just been enacted right off the bat. They've got the opportunity to tax and (at least try to) regulate a drug and the state is fucking broke. People are willing to give CA their money and CA said no.

Last edited by mtb0minime (2010-11-02 20:40:35)

tuckergustav
+1,590|5906|...

I can see the campaign slogans now...
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5694|College Park, MD

JohnG@lt wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I don't smoke weed but even I would've voted in favor of it simply to destroy the cartels and gang violence in the cities.
I agree, although I've enjoyed the sweet leaf a few times. I'm also 100% behind your stance on gay rights.

The way things are run in this country can be a real fucking farce sometimes.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6647

Once those old-fashioned baby-boomers get out of power and the younger generations come in, hopefully things will take a turn for the better... if we haven't destroyed ourselves by then.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I agree, although I've enjoyed the sweet leaf a few times. I'm also 100% behind your stance on gay rights.

The way things are run in this country can be a real fucking farce sometimes.
Well, here's how shit works. Even at the state level, legislators are terrified of pigeonholing themselves at that level with votes that would be unpopular nationally. Every last one them of them has one eye on national office. A vote in favor of gay rights, or god forbid, marijuana, and they instantly kill their national aspirations. Hard as hell to win an election when you automatically have half the nation voting against you. This is why unknowns like Obama can get elected to high office. No one had a voting record to attack.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Shame nothing really changes whether it's a blue tint or red tint, Demo or Repub.

Wash
Rinse
Dry

Repeat.

YAWN

(insert revolutionary founding father quote here)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard