Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6695|The Ville
Just wondering if this was a good price. I went to Valvoline and they charged me 21.99usd for the air filter and 65.99usd for a oil change. My car is a 94' Volvo 850T and they said I had to use Synthetic Oil because it was a turbo ?

Total: 94.52  including Labor costs
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6344
Oil and Airfilter changing is about the easiest things you can do on your own with a car.

Dunno about the pricing ranges in US, but in Euromoney it seems to be around a fair amount.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6660|The darkside of Denver
Kinda high IMO.....

just do it yourself, it is super easy.  I dont know shit about cars and I change my own oil.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6390
Don't know how much oil your car takes, but if it takes 4-5 quarts than the total for doing it yourself would have been about $40-52 after tax.

That's assuming you bought Valvoline brand synthetic oil, Fram oil filter and Fram (or more expensive brand) air filter from a local auto parts store.

Most auto parts stores will take your used oil for free.

Last edited by west-phoenix-az (2010-10-21 12:03:24)

https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England
Oil change should be like $24.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

JohnG@lt wrote:

you know different cars take different kinds of oil in different amounts right?

Marked cost difference between all synthetic and regular oil

Nonetheless it's a little high, but that's what you get when you take your car in to get an oil change
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Nonetheless it's a little high, but that's what you get when you take your car in to get an oil change
Yes, I am aware. Go to Pep Boys or something and they'll do it for $30, synthetic included. Do it yourself and you save a few bucks. Either way, unless you're going to a dealer, the cost of an oil change should not approach $45.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
is changing the oil easier than changing out breakpads?
Tu Stultus Es
Defiance
+438|6671

eleven bravo wrote:

I imagine it's significantly easier if there's easy access to the drain bolt.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

Either task is monkey worthy.

Wait, troll, how many times did you change the oil on HMMWVs?
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

JohnG@lt wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Yes, I am aware. Go to Pep Boys or something and they'll do it for $30, synthetic included. Do it yourself and you save a few bucks. Either way, unless you're going to a dealer, the cost of an oil change should not approach $45.
5 quarts of synthetic will run you about $30, that's without the cost of a filter or the labor involved.  So paying ~$45 isn't actually that bad, if you are too lazy/have the money to pay someone.

Changing oil/swapping filters isn't that hard at all, you just have to be able to get under the car to drain out the excess.  I'd rather pay someone to do it though.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

5 quarts of synthetic will run you about $30, that's without the cost of a filter or the labor involved.  So paying ~$45 isn't actually that bad, if you are too lazy/have the money to pay someone.

Changing oil/swapping filters isn't that hard at all, you just have to be able to get under the car to drain out the excess.  I'd rather pay someone to do it though.
It takes ten minutes but I pay to have it done too. Mostly because disposing of the oil is a PITA.
-Frederick Bastiat
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6390
Here Valvoline brand synthetic motor oil is about $5.50 + tax per quart. Since he went to Valvoline that's what I assumed they used on his car. I used the price of Valvoline for my post above.

You can definitely buy cheaper oil. I usually buy the Sams Club stuff. My oil changes are around $13 (not including beer).

I pour a few oil changes into a 5 gallon bucket, snap a lid on it, and take it down to Autozone or Checker when it's close to full.
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6695|The Ville

SonderKommando wrote:

Kinda high IMO.....

just do it yourself, it is super easy.  I dont know shit about cars and I change my own oil.
I normally get a full service tire check ect. rotation and such which is why I never do it my self.
jsnipy
+3,276|6523|...

SonderKommando wrote:

Kinda high IMO.....

This
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6131|North Tonawanda, NY

JohnG@lt wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Are you sure you're getting full synthetic?  Are you thinking of a blend for that price?  I don't think I've ever seen a full synthetic oil change at a shop for under $50...

And yes, changing the oil yourself (and brake rotors/pads) is a relatively trivial task, you need to have the space to do it and it's kind of a pain in the winter.  You can save a good amount of money doing basic service on your car though.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
Many, esp Euro, cars have aluminium sumps.
Let your average oil monkey mess around with the sump bolt on that is asking for trouble, I've heard of enough dead engines to know it needs to be done right.

Yes, you need to replace the crush washer.

Yes you do need to torque the sump plug and oil filter to the correct torque.

Disposing of oil can be a PITA, the local auto parts shop put it in their heating boiler
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Many, esp Euro, cars have aluminium sumps.
Let your average oil monkey mess around with the sump bolt on that is asking for trouble, I've heard of enough dead engines to know it needs to be done right.

Yes, you need to replace the crush washer.

Yes you do need to torque the sump plug and oil filter to the correct torque.

Disposing of oil can be a PITA, the local auto parts shop put it in their heating boiler
This was all true on my Triumph. I still only went hand tight for both after replacement (I have ridiculously strong fingers for some reason).
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard