Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6414|North Carolina
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/10/21/n … p;iref=NS1

National Public Radio said it terminated the contract of a news analyst after he said on a Fox News show that he gets nervous when he sees people with Muslim garb on planes.

Juan Williams had worked at NPR for a long time, but his other job as an analyst on the "largely conservative and often contentious prime time talk shows of Fox News has long been a sore point with NPR News executives," an article on NPR's website said.

Williams made the comments recently on Bill O'Reilly's show "The O'Reilly Factor."

O'Reilly, the Fox News personality, was seeking comment from Williams on O'Reilly's own controversial remarks he made on the "The View" about Muslims.

"Look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous." Williams said.

Williams worked for 21 years at The Washington Post and hosted a national call-in show with NPR for a year along with being a news analyst for the radio company, according to his biography on NPR's website.

This seems like a bit of an overreaction on the part of NPR.  Williams makes an offhand remark about Muslims on planes which a lot of people probably can relate to, and then he gets fired.

It's kind of sad when political correctness is so prevalent that a remark that is honest and not meant to be hurtful can result in losing your job.

What do you guys think?  Was this firing justified, or is NPR being too politically correct?
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5246|Cleveland, Ohio
funny thing is williams is black.  i thought only white people were racists/bigots.

Last edited by 11 Bravo (2010-10-21 06:43:46)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6419|'Murka

NPR is being NPR. It's not surprising. It's not right, either.

Had he made the remark on his NPR show, then NPR might have had justification. I still would've disagreed, but the pseudo-legal foundation would've been there. He wasn't on NPR. He was on Fox. It was upmto Fox to terminate his contract with them if they had an issue with what he said.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
ghettoperson
+1,943|6658

FEOS wrote:

Had he made the remark on his NPR show, then NPR might have had justification. I still would've disagreed, but the pseudo-legal foundation would've been there. He wasn't on NPR. He was on Fox. It was upmto Fox to terminate his contract with them if they had an issue with what he said.
But wouldn't he technically be on Fox as an NPR representative? So they'd probably have just as much justification to fire him as on their own show. Not that I think that he should have necessarily been fired.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6528|Πάϊ
Well... being afraid is actually retarded imo, but I wouldn't fire him for being an idiot...

Admitting that you're the victim of racist propaganda isn't offensive in its own right...
ƒ³
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6363
If he said  " Christians " make him nervous he would get a speaking engagement at Colombia University and a raise.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6363

11 Bravo wrote:

funny thing is williams is black.  i thought only white people were racists/bigots.
Good instincts - Just Go with your instincts !

"ROFLMAOF"
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6363

oug wrote:

Well... being afraid is actually retarded imo, but I wouldn't fire him for being an idiot...

Admitting that you're the victim of racist propaganda isn't offensive in its own right...
" I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous." Williams said.

Please make me aware of the " racist propaganda " that was not the work of the plo, al qaeude, hamas [SP] ( etc.. ) and put forth themselves.
mikkel
+383|6610

FEOS wrote:

I don't think you can really extend that sort of rationale to the world of broadcasting. Broadcasters live and die by the images and associations they maintain. If an employee makes public statements that are at odds with these images and associations, then the broadcaster has a problem, and firing that employee is one of the possible solutions.

Of course it isn't ideal that he can't speak his mind in public, but I think it's implied that when people accept positions to be part of the face of a company, statements of this nature may have a negative impact on their employment situation.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5268|foggy bottom
black people make me nervous
Tu Stultus Es
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6725

eleven bravo wrote:

anything brown makes me nervous
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Turquoise
O Canada

eleven bravo wrote:

They make me nervous if they're dressed a certain way and I'm walking downtown at night.
rdx-fx
+955|6600

eleven bravo wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

anything brown makes me nervous
https://www.fredlaw.com/areas/trademark/images/upslogo.jpg

To the OP: I'd love to see an ACLU lawsuit against NPR.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

o yea. That's some out of control racism right thar.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6725
yeah cnn didnt even bother covering the whole quote. shame hes fired.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
FEOS
+1,182|6419|'Murka

ghettoperson wrote:

FEOS wrote:

But wouldn't he technically be on Fox as an NPR representative? So they'd probably have just as much justification to fire him as on their own show. Not that I think that he should have necessarily been fired.
No. Two separate jobs/contracts. He's on Fox as a Fox contributor. He's on NPR as an NPR contributor. He's not representing NPR on Fox and he's not representing Fox on NPR.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6419|'Murka

mikkel wrote:

FEOS wrote:

I don't think you can really extend that sort of rationale to the world of broadcasting. Broadcasters live and die by the images and associations they maintain. If an employee makes public statements that are at odds with these images and associations, then the broadcaster has a problem, and firing that employee is one of the possible solutions.

Of course it isn't ideal that he can't speak his mind in public, but I think it's implied that when people accept positions to be part of the face of a company, statements of this nature may have a negative impact on their employment situation.
I guess that whole "First Amendment freedom of speech/press" thingy doesn't apply to the press then, does it?

If he'd said it on his NPR program, they'd be totally justified. He didn't. Hence, they weren't at all justified.
― Albert Einstein

mikkel
+383|6610

FEOS wrote:

mikkel wrote:

FEOS wrote:

I guess that whole "First Amendment freedom of speech/press" thingy doesn't apply to the press then, does it?

If he'd said it on his NPR program, they'd be totally justified. He didn't. Hence, they weren't at all justified.
I don't really think you can argue that first amendment protections extend to employer/employee relationships in this manner.
Turquoise
O Canada

mikkel wrote:

FEOS wrote:

mikkel wrote:

I don't really think you can argue that first amendment protections extend to employer/employee relationships in this manner.
This is true.  The First Amendment only protects your speech from government censorship.

Granted, I would still argue that NPR is overreacting.  Now that I've seen the full quote in context, it's pretty ridiculous that they would fire him over this.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5366|London, England

Turquoise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

FEOS wrote:

This is true.  The First Amendment only protects your speech from government censorship.

Granted, I would still argue that NPR is overreacting.  Now that I've seen the full quote in context, it's pretty ridiculous that they would fire him over this.
Especially since it was just a version of what goes through the mind of every single American when they step on a plane... "please let there be no terrorist attack. please let this plane land safely"
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

Turquoise wrote:

It's kind of sad when political correctness is so prevalent that a remark that is honest and not meant to be hurtful can result in losing your job.

What do you guys think?  Was this firing justified, or is NPR being too politically correct?
I don't think it was justified. He was being honest. It's possible to be nervous even when your own logic disagrees. If I was a big plane traveler, I'd feel much the same even if I didn't want to.

But NPR was only being NPR. It's actually refreshing to see a bit of honesty from stations about their own political bent.

11 Bravo wrote:

"Look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country."
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6725
when i flew to the US few weeks ago a flight from dubai arrived at the same time... immigration was a bitch.
Turquoise
O Canada

Cybargs wrote:

when i flew to the US few weeks ago a flight from dubai arrived at the same time... immigration was a bitch.
Statistics don't lie...
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6725

Turquoise wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Statistics don't lie...
thank god i had an aussie passport with a jew last name.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6629|London, England
Yeah persecuting people with slanty eyes is so last century, Japs, Gooks and all that

Wait you're a Kike too? Man you really are lucky to not be born earlier

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-10-21 11:46:45)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard