Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6536|Long Island, New York
Has anyone ever done one? My cousin who works for the State Department (and who has lived in Argentina, El Salvador and will be in Israel in a few weeks) is pushing me to join one. Compared to tuition it's actually not too expensive. About $4000 average per trip.

Some of the locations offered:

Rome, Italy
Rio de Janeiro, Ihla Grande and Angra dos in Brazil
Brussels and London
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Segovia, Spain
Caracas, Venezuela

I'm really heading towards Argentina right now because I think I'm going to continue my Spanish studies throughout college, but Rome's high on my list.

I personally have only been out of the US once - a cruise in 2007 to the Caribbean. Not to mention I've never even been west of Philly..

Has anyone been to these cities and if so can you tell me a little bit more about them/what it's like there?

Edit: I wouldn't do this until 2nd semester of sophomore year (as suggested by my cousin), but I'd like to get the basic thoughts for it in my head.

Last edited by Poseidon (2010-10-16 21:17:33)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6496

i don't think anyone on these forums has ever been to London.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
LoL
london kentucky maybe. .
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

burnzz wrote:

it's all a clever ruse
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

Not sure if I'd do it if I were you Poseidon.

You'd stand out like an American exchange student in one of them foreign countries.

If you go to Rome though, you might get away with being a ganstar.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6496

honestly, any of those cities, to do study abroad, would be amazing. when i was in school, the only place i went was Ensenada, Baja California, to go fishing.

if you have an opportunity, by all means go for it . . .
tuckergustav
+1,590|5912|...

My sister-in-law just got done with a 6 month study in Thailand.  She LOVED it...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

No offense to the residents, but none of the cities in the OP seem particularly appealing to me. Go study in Finland.
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6739|OctoLand
Stay at home get properly qualified, then get a good job that will allow you to travel to ALL those cities in the furture.
I know fucking karate
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6741|London

no offense to you unnamednewbie, but you're a fucking twat and you can shove helsinki up your ass
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

No offense to the residents, but none of the cities in the OP seem particularly appealing to me. Go study in Finland.
Rome doesn't sound appealing to you but cold ass Finland does...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

justice wrote:

Stay at home get properly qualified, then get a good job that will allow you to travel to ALL those cities in the furture.
Getting 'properly qualified' can be done just as well abroad as at home. Besides which, anymore being 'properly qualified' will not guarantee you a job. There are people with tons of experience in many fields who are looking for jobs right now.

Dauntless wrote:

no offense to you unnamednewbie, but you're a fucking twat and you can shove helsinki up your ass
I fart in your general direction!

Poseidon wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Rome doesn't sound appealing to you but cold ass Finland does...
Italy can suck Caligula's schlong.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

I'd like to study a broad or too.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
:blacKOut:
Shevchenkooooo
+42|6264|'Merica
Well, around my area, we study abroad junior year spring semester.  I am leaning towards, Spain, Netherlands, or somewhere in eastern Europe.  But yeah, defiantly study abroad, companies love the fact you have been out of America and experienced a cultural difference.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

burnzz wrote:

uzique lives there afaik
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
jord
+2,382|6677|The North, beyond the wall.
It was a joke, because at least 4 members live there and at least say... 10 have been to london.

On topic I think it'd be good for you to go abroad pos.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
i can go to

Australia — University of Sydney
Canada
University of Alberta
University of British Columbia
University of Ottawa
University of Toronto
Hong Kong — University of Hong Kong
New Zealand — Victoria University of Wellington
Singapore — National University of Singapore
South Korea — Korea University
United States
Bentley University
Boston College
New York University
Tulane University
University of California, Berkeley
UCLA
University of Florida

but i dont want to go to any of them. years abroad are too fucking expensive for their own good.

just do a master's (entire) course abroad, if you're really that interested.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

The idea that the first time you leave the country (properly) you're going to live somewhere else for 3 months seems a bit odd.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715
working holiday visas are nice as well.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

ghettoperson wrote:

The idea that the first time you leave the country (properly) you're going to live somewhere else for 3 months seems a bit odd.
Well, by the time I make enough money to truly travel the world properly I'll be in my mid-20's (probably). Why not start now?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
lol optimism
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

Poseidon wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Well, by the time I make enough money to truly travel the world properly I'll be in my mid-20's (probably). Why not start now?
What I meant was, why not save the money you're spending on this study abroad thing and spend the summer travelling around Europe/South East Asia/South America?

EDIT: It'd be far more interesting, you'd see much more of the world and you wouldn't have to deal with all the irritating bureaucratic hassle that comes with living in a country where you don't speak the language.

Last edited by ghettoperson (2010-10-17 10:03:20)

Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6691
I've been to Buenos Aires. An odd place it is. Go for Brussels or London.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

ghettoperson wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

What I meant was, why not save the money you're spending on this study abroad thing and spend the summer travelling around Europe/South East Asia/South America?

EDIT: It'd be far more interesting, you'd see much more of the world and you wouldn't have to deal with all the irritating bureaucratic hassle that comes with living in a country where you don't speak the language.
I'm not 100% sure, but I actually think with the divorce agreement with my parents, my father has to pay for any study abroad program I take. And considering I'm paying for 60% of my university tuition with loans/scholarships, damn right!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

Poseidon wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

I'm not 100% sure, but I actually think with the divorce agreement with my parents, my father has to pay for any study abroad program I take. And considering I'm paying for 60% of my university tuition with loans/scholarships, damn right!
divorces are a wonderful thing innit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard