Islamic Extremists45%45% - 28
Christian End-of-Timesers3%3% - 2
Zionists17%17% - 11
Other - Elaborate or face eternity in a fiery hell14%14% - 9
Total: 62
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
is it possibly conceivable to you that others may enjoy that feeling? and that they may be productive, normal human beings, too?

probably not.

also i love how you keep talking about old-money types when you're from america. they have two entirely different social identities in the UK/US.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

Macbeth wrote:

I've been up and down the east coast and out of the U.S. before. I'm going to Florida in December to visit my grand parents.

This is just how I feel about traveling TBH.

Macbeth wrote:

I never really understood people's fascination with traveling, and 'seeing the world'. For most non-western countries you'll be spending the vast amount of your time at some resort or tourist section with mostly other tourist and some native servants while doing stuff you could do in your own native country or city. Otherwise seeing some statue or going to the top of a building or seeing some exotic nature doesn't sound all that enthralling to me.
Also seeing some empty field in the middle of nowhere just because some asshole offed each other there 700 years ago still doesn't inspire me...
Then why would reading about it in a book inspire you?

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-10-24 15:04:52)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
because history is more than just dates and place-names... fucking hell

some of the greatest human drama, tragedy, thought and nature in general is contained in history... it's 'inspiring' to read it

you ever read thoreau? ive been digging him a lot lately. he has the same opinion; read it in books and refine your mind before traipsing off on silly little material follies to places you don't need to visit for any real personal benefit.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

Uzique wrote:

some of the greatest human drama, tragedy, thought and nature in general is contained in history... it's 'inspiring' to read it

you ever read thoreau? ive been digging him a lot lately. he has the same opinion; read it in books and refine your mind before traipsing off on silly little material follies to places you don't need to visit for any real personal benefit.
go sit in a pond and write shit then.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

You can't get the same experience from a book that you can from actually visiting the site where history was made. Read the book first, yes, but back up that gained knowledge with personal experience. It's one thing to read a book about D-Day, it's quite another to read a book and then actually visit the beaches and look up at what the allies looked up at as they came ashore. The mind's eye doesn't live up to reality in many cases. What may be described in a history textbook as a grueling battle fought on a mountain, may in reality have been nothing more than a skirmish over a tiny hillock. History is written by men, and thus fallible. Read the book and then experience it for yourself.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
the whole point of his philosophical argument is that the material experience of 'being in the place' doesn't particularly enrich your mind any more than the intellectual content. im not saying it's useless to go visit the places - quite the contrary - just i'd rather fully understand the history of ancient egypt than being able to say i went and had my photo taken in front of the fucking pyramids.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

JohnG@lt wrote:

The mind's eye doesn't live up to reality in many cases. What may be described in a history textbook as a grueling battle fought on a mountain, may in reality have been nothing more than a skirmish over a tiny hillock. History is written by men, and thus fallible. Read the book and then experience it for yourself.
Uh that's why there are classes in reading old historical texts and also things like historians.

Rutgers university makes every history student do a 25 page research paper on a subject using medieval texts. The point of the paper is to make sure you can separate fact, and bullshit from the source material.

You don't need to visit places to understand what happened there.

Last edited by Macbeth (2010-10-24 15:17:46)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

The mind's eye doesn't live up to reality in many cases. What may be described in a history textbook as a grueling battle fought on a mountain, may in reality have been nothing more than a skirmish over a tiny hillock. History is written by men, and thus fallible. Read the book and then experience it for yourself.
Uh that's why there are classes in reading old historical texts and also things like historians.

Rutgers university makes every history student do a 25 page research paper on a subject using medieval texts. The point of the paper is to make sure you can separate fact, and bullshit from the source material.

Unless you're going to dig for shit, you don't need to visit places to understand what happened there.
There are better places on earth than Bayonne, NJ you know...
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Always reminds me of this song

-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5251|foggy bottom
emerson is my favorite transcendentalist
Tu Stultus Es
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
emerson is the best but his prose is fucking torturous for anything claiming to be a philosophical text
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique wrote:

where did i say that? not that i have any desire to dwell upon it but ive said many times that 'old money vs new money' is a big thing in england and families definitely take pride in being the former. i've even directly replied to you on this point before... poor form.
Old money families may take pride in it, but pretty much everyone else on earth looks on them with contempt.
they're the ones that do abso-fucking-lutely nothing in their millions and let the crazy few steer the ship into dangerous waters
I agree, however how much of an activist have you been on issues close to your heart?
Ever been to see your MP? Attended a rally? Written a letter?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-10-24 16:14:18)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique wrote:

where did i say that? not that i have any desire to dwell upon it but ive said many times that 'old money vs new money' is a big thing in england and families definitely take pride in being the former. i've even directly replied to you on this point before... poor form.
Old money families may take pride in it, but pretty much everyone else on earth looks on them with contempt.
they're the ones that do abso-fucking-lutely nothing in their millions and let the crazy few steer the ship into dangerous waters
I agree, however how much of an activist have you been on issues close to your heart?
Ever been to see your MP? Attended a rally? Written a letter?
written letters to mp, local council, local/wider newspapers... attended rallies... attended debates... i vote... etc. probably more than any other average 20 year old would/has done, especially considering i have no real interest in politics or public service whatsoever. so yeah. cool?

also why do people look at old-money with contempt? they're all aiming to give that quality of life to their kids, and their kid's kids... i.e. to be 'old money' within 3-4 generations. everyone works towards middle-class comfort so they can look down on the people below and carry on scorning the people above... until they get there, that is. so fucking funny.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Well good.

Why do people look on old money with contempt? Because most people value the man and their personal accomplishments, not what their daddy or grandaddy did.

everyone works towards middle-class comfort so they can look down on the people below and carry on scorning the people above
So that? Very few people have the objective in life of sneering at other people.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Dilbert_X wrote:

Because most people value the man and their personal accomplishments, not what their daddy or grandaddy did.
Not really. It's mostly jealously, resentment, and insecurity.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6437|The Land of Scott Walker
Soooo about those crazies of the world ... selection leading the poll is correct.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Well good.

Why do people look on old money with contempt? Because most people value the man and their personal accomplishments, not what their daddy or grandaddy did.

everyone works towards middle-class comfort so they can look down on the people below and carry on scorning the people above
So that? Very few people have the objective in life of sneering at other people.
No shit. I certainly don't have that objective. I ridicule those who take pride in the accomplishment of others and bask in the reflected glory. I don't care if it's an old money type who was handed everything or a gutter snipe. It goes hand in hand with my utter contempt for nationalism.

It's like a sports fan who lives or dies with the accomplishments of 'their team'. Why? They did nothing to affect the outcome personally.

I respect the man and his personal accomplishments, I could give a fuck less about title or birth or anything else.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-10-24 16:58:10)

-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard