bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6313

I don't think I've had anything severe since Windows ME. Not only was it a crap OS but I knew nothing about computer security back then so the odds of getting a virus were pretty high. Got infected with a couple trojans but that's about it.

I like my NOD32. I've got a free license until 2012 through my school program but I think I'll pay the $90 for a two year subscription when that expires.
CC-Marley
+407|6829
I get Norton Security Suite free with my overpriced cable. Comcast used to give you Mcafee which I think was much better.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Is disabling auto-run and virus-scanning the thumb-drive not enough?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6198|Winland

burnzz wrote:

Finray wrote:

NooBesT wrote:

But one is more than none.
It's also better than running AV which saps your resources and interrupts at inopportune moments.
avast has game mode. f-secure has a small footprint. there's no reason not to, unless you are on a machine without internet access.

jesus wept, a tech team member that knows nothing about anti-virus technology.
I don't run an anti-virus program either, and I can't remember ever catching a virus since the time when I actually did use one. As long as you're firewalled, the risk of you getting infected without doing anything shabby on your machine is really rather slim.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

burnzz wrote:

MSE is pretty good, but doesn't have game mode like avast, doesn't have a sandbox like Kaspersky, or a small footprint like f-secure.
I use solely MSE on a number of machines and don't notice much of a performance hit at all.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6660|BC, Canada

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

burnzz wrote:

MSE is pretty good, but doesn't have game mode like avast, doesn't have a sandbox like Kaspersky, or a small footprint like f-secure.
I use solely MSE on a number of machines and don't notice much of a performance hit at all.
Yeah, haven't been bothered by it at all either, just put it on my new laptop.
jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.
I don't use anti virus either and I've managed
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Finray wrote:

NooBesT wrote:

But one is more than none.
It's also better than running AV which saps your resources and interrupts at inopportune moments.
That's honestly the stupidest argument I've ever heard. How fucking shit is your computer that AV slows it down? There's thousands of great free AV apps, the majority of which are pretty lightweight. Stop doing this stupid "I'm a computer badass so unlike the rest of you n00bs I don't need AV" bullshit, it just makes you look stupid(er).

Whilst I've never had a virus, I have occasionally gone to a webpage which my AV has prompted to tell me is infected and trying to install something on my computer. I don't know what'd happen if I didn't have AV installed, but frankly I'm grateful it's there to stop anything happening.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5789|Catherine Black

ghettoperson wrote:

Stop doing this stupid "I'm a computer badass so unlike the rest of you n00bs I don't need AV" bullshit, it just makes you look stupid(er).

Finray wrote:

Besides, I have MSE installed on this install..
lol?
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
jord
Does anyone care what anothers preferance is with regards to anti virus? I don't use one but I won't staunchly defend that position, each to their own...
Defiance
+438|6672

jord wrote:

Does anyone care what anothers preferance is with regards to anti virus? I don't use one but I won't staunchly defend that position, each to their own...
If it's a laptop that's often used on public wifi's and someone isn't running an AV, I'll take a moment to explain how ignorant a decision that is.

Otherwise, as long it's not on my network, whatever. Edit: I should amend this: It's still pretty stupid not to run one on a desktop.

Last edited by Defiance (2010-10-15 08:23:53)

Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6695|The Ville
Norton sucks do not use it. I had it when I was only using 2 gigs and it ate up a lot and my pc was slow as hell when I had Norton. It how ever did catch a few though. I hated the pop up that I got every time I tried to play counterstrike or something like that. It said "unreconized program do you want to allow access" lol
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6447|Amsterdam‫

Freezer7Pro wrote:

burnzz wrote:

Finray wrote:

avast has game mode. f-secure has a small footprint. there's no reason not to, unless you are on a machine without internet access.

jesus wept, a tech team member that knows nothing about anti-virus technology.
I don't run an anti-virus program either, and I can't remember ever catching a virus since the time when I actually did use one. As long as you're firewalled, the risk of you getting infected without doing anything shabby on your machine is really rather slim.
what firewall do you recomend?
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

menzo wrote:

Netgear FVS318

fully configurable

https://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8610/fvs318productimagelarge.png

Last edited by burnzz (2010-10-15 19:43:38)

Defiance
+438|6672

burnzz wrote:

menzo wrote:

Netgear FVS318

fully configurable

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8610 … elarge.png
I know nothing about this and although I want to bash it for being Netgear, I can't. That being said, they're going all-fucking-out on the marketing page.

Bad Marketing Department, Bad. wrote:

With 8 auto-sensing, Auto Uplink™ switched LAN ports and Network Address Translation (NAT) routing, up to 253 users can access your broadband connection at the same time.
Auto Sensing, Auto Uplink? Same thing.
NAT Routing? Like this is a new feature?
Up to 253 users? Funny, that's the usable address limit on a class C address. If that is in fact a hard limit, that's a ridiculous limitation and I don't know why they're advertising it.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

I use multiple AV software.

The worst virus I've ever had caused AVG to turn off. Avira was able to remove it.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Worst?

Windows ME.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Conficker managed to disable Malware Bytes, McAfee and Spybot.

I managed to clear it eventually but still wasn't feeling a lot of love from my PC so changed the HD anyway.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6660|The darkside of Denver

burnzz wrote:

Finray wrote:

No idea how I got it, everything I downloaded was from trusted sources,
nice.
lol
PigPopTart
Shotgun whore
+133|6290|Pacific NW, USA
Worst I've had is some registry worm IIRC.  Been quite a few years.  Tired for days to save the contents of the HD (nekkid wife pics ) but was unsucessful.

Lost about 60gb of family photos and videos, along with many epic BF2 screens.  Ended up reformatting.

Now I use my old as dirt Acer lappy as virus fodder for my DL's.  It's a fresh format with windowsXP and whatever I pirate. after software is DL'd it gets tested on that computer then transferred to my Asus if it checks out. That way when I get the inevitable virus it's on my whogivesafck computer and I just pop the XP disk in and wait 40 minutes for fresh OS.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6415|Finland

I know some nasty examples of sites that pass every online av-checker you throw at them, even get to google results page. But instead of being harmless like the sites owner and google intented, you get some truly nasty shit if you click the google result link, which in every way you can check is valid. You didn't download a thing, you used 100% as trustable page but still you can get shit thrown to the fan.

Everyone to their preferences, but without av-software there would be no way of telling that ever happened and would happily continue to host can of worms without knowing it.

And finny, what kind of pos PC you'd be running now to complain about how resource hoggy they are. Some lightweight av runs on any decent PC without much of an effect and you can even disable it to leave you alone most of the time.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2010-11-01 18:52:34)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5485|Bolingbrook, Illinois

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

I know some nasty examples of sites that pass every online av-checker you throw at them, even get to google results page. But instead of being harmless like the sites owner and google intented, you get some truly nasty shit if you click the google result link, which in every way you can check is valid. You didn't download a thing, you used 100% as trustable page but still you can get shit thrown to the fan.

Everyone to their preferences, but without av-software there would be no way of telling that ever happened and would happily continue to host can of worms without knowing it.

And finny, what kind of pos PC you'd be running now to complain about how resource hoggy they are. Some lightweight av runs on any decent PC without much of an effect and you can even disable it to leave you alone most of the time.
if a virus can actually start on its own like that, then the virus is probably advanced enough to prevent detection from anti viruses.  I mean, if I can do it, I'm sure there's many programmers who can do it as well.  which leads me to believe that there's a lot of infected computers, its just that they don't know about it
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
post of the year 2010^
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5485|Bolingbrook, Illinois
thank you for your nomination
jord
Haibai you've also been nominated for the awards of best-worst troll and best bf2s pro hacker

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard