Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6016|Vortex Ring State

Acerider wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Acerider wrote:

Agreed. C-130's are quite efficient though. Good load, great range, decent speed, relatively cheap, reliable.
60 years old.
Good load, great range, decent speed, relatively cheap, reliable.
C5 galaxies?

I don't know WHY china would buy a C-130 anyways.

Probably some detente bullshit or something like that
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6428|'Murka

Acerider wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Acerider wrote:

Yeah. Firstly the embargo isn't cripling china, they're pretty self sufficient, and secondly, why stop all arms trade to China when the USA isn;t gonna give em any deadly weapos anyways? It's good to lift the embargo, the USA can sell tons of military equipment that china can't hurt anyone with. Besides... trading is good capitalism.
...News Flash...
A cargo plane can be used to support military equipment and soldiers. Hell, it can even drop a bomb.
C-130's aren't the most conventional warplanes. Yeah they can drop troops, but China won't have enough sufficient numbers. Besides, the US isn't stupid, they'll only give china as much as they think they can defend against. Besides, china has tons of attack aircraft and H-6 tupolev Tu-16 badger copies ready for bombing.

Though china will probably copy the US engines and/or airframe of the c-130.
They don't need to.

https://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii309/akivrx78/y-9-3.jpg
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6428|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

FEOS wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I think US tourism to Cuba would explode, and that would definitely impact their economy.
It would add to the other tourism they already have. From every other country in the world. That's all. Sure, there would be an initial "ooh! I can go to Cuba!" bow-wave, but it wouldn't be sustainable, or enough to make much of a difference, tbh.

I don't have an issue with lifting the embargo. I have an issue with the asinine arguments for why the embargo should be lifted.
Well, more than anything else, it seems much more asinine to waste resources on enforcing a useless embargo.
And just what resources are we "wasting" enforcing the embargo?

I'll go ahead and answer: Next to none. It's not like we're deploying waves of customs agents, stopping gobs of smugglers trying to get into or out of Cuba to do business.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|5027|Ontario, Canada

FEOS wrote:

Acerider wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

...News Flash...
A cargo plane can be used to support military equipment and soldiers. Hell, it can even drop a bomb.
C-130's aren't the most conventional warplanes. Yeah they can drop troops, but China won't have enough sufficient numbers. Besides, the US isn't stupid, they'll only give china as much as they think they can defend against. Besides, china has tons of attack aircraft and H-6 tupolev Tu-16 badger copies ready for bombing.

They don't need to.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii30 … /y-9-3.jpg
That the KJ-200?
FEOS
+1,182|6428|'Murka

Acerider wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Acerider wrote:

They don't need to.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii30 … /y-9-3.jpg
That the KJ-200?
Click the first link.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6123|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

Missed marketing opportunities, tax on cigar imports etc etc.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
+1,182|6428|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Those aren't wasted resources. Those are opportunity costs. Two different cost concepts.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6123|eXtreme to the maX
Yes I know.
I guess the wasted resources would be in the CIA still working to destabilise the Cuban govt.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
+1,182|6428|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Yes I know.
I guess the wasted resources would be in the CIA still working to destabilise the Cuban govt.
Sauce?
― Albert Einstein

Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|5027|Ontario, Canada

Trotskygrad wrote:

Acerider wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

60 years old.
C5 galaxies?

I guess a galaxy works but it aint cheap and needs maintenance. China has enough resources to support Galaxies for sure, I think. Actually, you're right, China doesn't really need the C-130's. Maybe this deal is just a peace offering that Obama wants to make for China in preperation for larger deals in the future. Obama seems to be trying to get on the good side of every country in the world.
FEOS
+1,182|6428|'Murka

Acerider wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

Acerider wrote:

C5 galaxies?

I guess a galaxy works but it aint cheap and needs maintenance. China has enough resources to support Galaxies for sure, I think. Actually, you're right, China doesn't really need the C-130's. Maybe this deal is just a peace offering that Obama wants to make for China in preperation for larger deals in the future. Obama seems to be trying to get on the good side of every country in the world.
We don't build C-5s any more, so they would be buying old, maintenance-intensive airframes out of mothball storage. Airframes whose counterparts we've already invested millions/billions in upgrading to extend their service life. Makes no operational or economic sense. Especially when they can just buy Antonovs from Russia.

For strategic airlift, we'd have to sell them C-17s. But they are already developing their own version--probably based on pilfered data--so why would they buy ours?
― Albert Einstein

Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|5027|Ontario, Canada

FEOS wrote:

Acerider wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

C5 galaxies?

We don't build C-5s any more, so they would be buying old, maintenance-intensive airframes out of mothball storage. Airframes whose counterparts we've already invested millions/billions in upgrading to extend their service life. Makes no operational or economic sense. Especially when they can just buy Antonovs from Russia.

For strategic airlift, we'd have to sell them C-17s. But they are already developing their own version--probably based on pilfered data--so why would they buy ours?
I'm very suspicious of China, and now this trade deals looks very... suspicious. Well, yeah, C-5's are a pain to maintain, but China could afford a few, even though they'd be better off using more modern jet powered transports. China probably has enough data to copy the Antonov's, so they wouldn't need to buy em. China should start making indigenous stuff soon or they'll be in trouble. Their tactic of copying everyone elses stuff and adding a few modifications means that they'll always be years behind other countries. Like, China has a huge airforce, but the majority of heir planes are J-6's, JH-7's, J-8's, J-7's, and Q-5's, planes so old that they'll be almost useless in combat against countries with more modern aircraft. Even though they also have more advanced aircraft like JF-17's and J-10's and J-11's, those are pretty inferior to most fourth generation aircraft. Wanna bet the 5th generation J-XX is based on studying the raptor?

My point is, China needs new crap, so why are they buying old crap that they both don't really need and could just as easily make themselves?

This deal is probably about restoring relations more than just transporting a few troops.

Though I still think C-130's are very capable, China's not even buying a great amount.

Last edited by Acerider (2010-10-16 07:01:22)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5375|London, England
Die Pace, die.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
jord
+2,382|6695|The North, beyond the wall.
It pains me, physically.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5375|London, England
No one gives a fuck about this topic except you Pace.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
+1,182|6428|'Murka

Acerider wrote:

they'd be better off using more modern jet powered transports.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/09/C-5_Galaxy_-_060505-F-0000J-002.jpg/220px-C-5_Galaxy_-_060505-F-0000J-002.jpg
What do you think those things are hanging off the wings of that C-5?

They would be jet engines. Used to power the transport plane. What on earth made you think the C-5 wasn't jet-powered?

And if for some reason you were talking about the C-130 and just worded it poorly, the C-130 is actually jet-powered. That's what a turboprop is: a jet engine turning a propeller.

In fact, the newest cargo plane in development, the A400M, uses the turboprop:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/A400M-1969.jpg/300px-A400M-1969.jpg

Acerider wrote:

China probably has enough data to copy the Antonov's, so they wouldn't need to buy em. China should start making indigenous stuff soon or they'll be in trouble. Their tactic of copying everyone elses stuff and adding a few modifications means that they'll always be years behind other countries.
They build 4th and 4.5 gen fighters under license from Russia. They're not really "copying". And they're transferring that tech to their own R&D houses, cutting years off their own development efforts--putting them years ahead of where they would be otherwise.

Acerider wrote:

My point is, China needs new crap, so why are they buying old crap that they both don't really need and could just as easily make themselves?
They are. Multiple links have shown you just that.

Acerider wrote:

This deal is probably about restoring relations more than just transporting a few troops.
This. Except, if you read the article, it's not about transporting troops, either.

article wrote:

Obama stressed in his letter that C-130 cargo aircraft are to be deployed in response to oil spills at sea.
Of course, I'm not really sure how that limitation will be monitored or enforced. That's a pretty low probability of use to justify the expense of purchase.
― Albert Einstein

UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5053|Massachusetts, USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
FEOS
+1,182|6428|'Murka

UnkleRukus wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

No one gives a fuck about you not giving a fuck about it.
― Albert Einstein

Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|5027|Ontario, Canada

FEOS wrote:

Acerider wrote:

they'd be better off using more modern jet powered transports.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … 0J-002.jpg
What do you think those things are hanging off the wings of that C-5?

They would be jet engines. Used to power the transport plane. What on earth made you think the C-5 wasn't jet-powered?

And if for some reason you were talking about the C-130 and just worded it poorly, the C-130 is actually jet-powered. That's what a turboprop is: a jet engine turning a propeller.

In fact, the newest cargo plane in development, the A400M, uses the turboprop:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … M-1969.jpg

Acerider wrote:

China probably has enough data to copy the Antonov's, so they wouldn't need to buy em. China should start making indigenous stuff soon or they'll be in trouble. Their tactic of copying everyone elses stuff and adding a few modifications means that they'll always be years behind other countries.
They build 4th and 4.5 gen fighters under license from Russia. They're not really "copying". And they're transferring that tech to their own R&D houses, cutting years off their own development efforts--putting them years ahead of where they would be otherwise.

Acerider wrote:

They are. Multiple links have shown you just that.

Acerider wrote:

This. Except, if you read the article, it's not about transporting troops, either.

article wrote:

Obama stressed in his letter that C-130 cargo aircraft are to be deployed in response to oil spills at sea.
Of course, I'm not really sure how that limitation will be monitored or enforced. That's a pretty low probability of use to justify the expense of purchase.
AUGH. No no no, I knew the C-5 is jet powered. I was reffering to the C-130 having turboprops and agreeing with people on how china needs new stuff.
jord
I'm sure China has better qualified people to determine what they need militarily.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6733

jord wrote:

I'm sure China has better qualified people to determine what they need militarily.
historically china has never ever had a great military expansion nor tried to expand their empire.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
jord
They don't need to now either.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6733

jord wrote:

They don't need to now either.
just filling the gap the soviets left after the they collapsed. china wants to waive its dick around in asia and especially africa.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6422|North Carolina

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Those aren't wasted resources. Those are opportunity costs. Two different cost concepts.
That's still a good reason to end the embargo.

Honestly, I never thought I'd be the one defending free trade against you.
FEOS
+1,182|6428|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

That's still a good reason to end the embargo.

Honestly, I never thought I'd be the one defending free trade against you.
I already said above that I have no issues with lifting the embargo. It's the stupid, illogical arguments against the embargo that I take issue with.

There are no economic reasons for the embargo. Never have been. It is, has, and will be purely political in nature. It's not a free trade issue, and never was.
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard