Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6185|Ireland

SenorToenails wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Does free speech mean I can start going up to people's little kids in public yelling things like faggot, queer, ass banger.........  No, that is against the law.  What these religion freaks are doing is profane, therefore not protected.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl … peech.html
The speech itself is protected.  The behavior is not.
Exactly!  Don't know what the issue is with this though, if people really gave a shit it would have been handled by now.  People just don't know how to get shit done by themselves anymore.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6132|North Tonawanda, NY

Lotta_Drool wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Does free speech mean I can start going up to people's little kids in public yelling things like faggot, queer, ass banger.........  No, that is against the law.  What these religion freaks are doing is profane, therefore not protected.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl … peech.html
Exactly!  Don't know what the issue is with this though, if people really gave a shit it would have been handled by now.  People just don't know how to get shit done by themselves anymore.
Woah there a second...before you said it was 'profane, therefore not protected'.  Now you agree that it is protected, but the behavior isn't?  Make up your mind, man!

Besides, profanity is protected speech, obscenity is not.  They are two very different things.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom
Tu Stultus Es
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6185|Ireland

SenorToenails wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Woah there a second...before you said it was 'profane, therefore not protected'.  Now you agree that it is protected, but the behavior isn't?  Make up your mind, man!

Besides, profanity is protected speech, obscenity is not.  They are two very different things.
You can be profane without saying a word. 

Main Entry: 1pro·fane
Pronunciation: \prō-ˈfān, prə-\
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English prophanen, from Anglo-French prophaner, from Latin profanare, from profanus
Inflected Forms: pro·fanedpro·fan·ing
Date: 14th century
: to treat (something sacred) with abuse, irreverence, or contempt : desecrate
: to debase by a wrong, unworthy, or vulgar use

Try to walk through a Public school cussing at kids and when you are arrested state it is protected under freedom of speech.  These A-holes have to stay a certain distance from the funeral and they can be arrested for desturbing the peace or inciting a riot if people react to their being profane (see definition #1).
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Lotta_Drool wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Etymology: Middle English prophanen, from Anglo-French prophaner, from Latin profanare, from profanus

Try to walk through a Public school cussing at kids and when you are arrested state it is protected under freedom of speech.  These A-holes have to stay a certain distance from the funeral and they can be arrested for desturbing the peace or inciting a riot if people react to their being profane (see definition #1).
The speech is protected, the actions are not.  You are free to say whatever you like, and are thus free to suffer the consequences of that action.  In your example, it's not that you said those words that is bad, but where you said them.  That's the point, and it's a very important one.  The discussion is about amending free speech to block protection of funeral protests, which is just plain wrong.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom
theres also fighting words doctrine
Tu Stultus Es
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

eleven bravo wrote:

theres also fighting words doctrine
Yes, but isn't that one not used very often?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX
Better just ban anyone from making political, religious or any other controversial statements at a funeral.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6716|US
Correct me if I am wrong, but the issue here isn't that the WBC say idiotic things, but rather how and where.
I think there is enough of a judicial record around those topics to do something without changing the Constitution.

...which is exactly why the case is going to the Supreme Court.

(I hope the case goes against the WBC based upon established precedents.  These .... well, they protested at one of my friend's memorial service because they think God sends people to shoot up schools to punish gays...morons...)

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2010-10-06 19:54:14)

Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6185|Ireland

SenorToenails wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

The speech is protected, the actions are not.  You are free to say whatever you like, and are thus free to suffer the consequences of that action.  In your example, it's not that you said those words that is bad, but where you said them.  That's the point, and it's a very important one.  The discussion is about amending free speech to block protection of funeral protests, which is just plain wrong.
Yeah, we are on the same page. I guess my point was just that it how you use the words that makes it illegal and the situation which is exactly what you are saying also.  There really is no need for a new law IMO.  It is obvious they are disturbing the peace and infringing on other's rights by harassing them.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6777|Moscow, Russia
@Turq: i think you are overreacting here a little bit. ammending the fucking constitution because somebody took offence to a bunch of religious dumbfucks is just silly, imo. this whole "free speach" idea is so open to interpretation - and also vulnerable to abuse - that its would be impossible to put together a kind of ligislation that would regulate every aspect of this.
i say approach issues like that on case-by-case basis. also, as some of other posters said - i'm actially really surprised people didn't handle this by themselved. personally, i'd have no problem whatsoever if some of those religious cretins got their faces smashed.

Last edited by Shahter (2010-10-07 01:59:53)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6413|'Murka

States and localities can--and many do--already deal with this. To modify the Constitution to deal with such a (relatively) minute issue while simultaneously chipping away at the First Amendment is fraught with poor precedent.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

I like the solution that they can still protest, but not within x amount of metres of the funerals. Out of earshot and sight.

They are utterly deplorable to picket funerals and I have no sympathy for them, while feel every sympathy for those families are in mourning.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6413|'Murka

AussieReaper wrote:

I like the solution that they can still protest, but not within x amount of metres of the funerals. Out of earshot and sight.
Makes it easier to "deal" with the situation, as well.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6151|'straya
I've got somewhere for them to protest, its called Woomera Weapons Range. They can stand in the middle of it.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

Shahter wrote:

@Turq: i think you are overreacting here a little bit. ammending the fucking constitution because somebody took offence to a bunch of religious dumbfucks is just silly, imo. this whole "free speach" idea is so open to interpretation - and also vulnerable to abuse - that its would be impossible to put together a kind of ligislation that would regulate every aspect of this.
i say approach issues like that on case-by-case basis. also, as some of other posters said - i'm actially really surprised people didn't handle this by themselved. personally, i'd have no problem whatsoever if some of those religious cretins got their faces smashed.
So your solution is to physically assault offenders rather than change laws....  and I'm the one overreacting.

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-10-07 06:31:15)

Turquoise
O Canada

FEOS wrote:

States and localities can--and many do--already deal with this. To modify the Constitution to deal with such a (relatively) minute issue while simultaneously chipping away at the First Amendment is fraught with poor precedent.
I would argue that the First Amendment is somewhat naive in its basis.

I think most free speech should be allowed, but like I said earlier, there are rational limits to free speech.  I believe this is one of them.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

Turquoise wrote:

Shahter wrote:

So your solution is to physically assault offenders rather than change laws....  and I'm the one overreacting.
A beating lasts a few seconds and is quickly over. The impact is local. What you are suggesting would fundamentally change all of society rather than scare off one specific threat.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Shahter wrote:

A beating lasts a few seconds and is quickly over. The impact is local. What you are suggesting would fundamentally change all of society rather than scare off one specific threat.
Really?  So a ban on funeral protests fundamentally changes the system?

I don't know about you, but I've never protested a funeral, nor do I plan to.

I just don't feel the same level of protectiveness toward the Constitution as most people seem to.  Times change, and so must the rules.
13rin
+977|6481
Patriot Guard usually keeps them away.

Marines are badass.

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I just don't feel the same level of protectiveness toward the Constitution as most people seem to.  Times change, and so must the rules.
Suggesting that the constitution be changed just to stop one particular group is a very clear fundamental change to the system.
Turquoise
O Canada

SenorToenails wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Suggesting that the constitution be changed just to stop one particular group is a very clear fundamental change to the system.
Well, like I said, it doesn't have to involve the Constitution.  I like how some state governments have enacted bans of their own.

The fact that this has happened seems to suggest that it isn't unconstitutional to begin with.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Turquoise wrote:

Well, like I said, it doesn't have to involve the Constitution.  I like how some state governments have enacted bans of their own.

The fact that this has happened seems to suggest that it isn't unconstitutional to begin with.
It's not the speech that's being prevented by these laws.  The act of protesting a funeral is allowed--but the manner in which it is conducted can still be regulated by local laws.  I'm sure the supreme court will give some idea of just how regulated they can be.

How happy were you with the 'free speech zones' that came up a few years ago?  This isn't all that different.
Turquoise
O Canada

SenorToenails wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

It's not the speech that's being prevented by these laws.  The act of protesting a funeral is allowed--but the manner in which it is conducted can still be regulated by local laws.  I'm sure the supreme court will give some idea of just how regulated they can be.

How happy were you with the 'free speech zones' that came up a few years ago?  This isn't all that different.
I support the existence of free speech zones.  I know they can separate people from certain events, but in general, protesters do more harm than good most of the time.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

i remember when Rage Against the Machine played at the demcratic convention. it was in a free zone . . .

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard