Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6398|North Carolina
As you may have heard recently, the Supreme Court will soon hear a case that will determine if groups like the Westboro Baptist Church have the right to protest at funerals via freedom of speech or if this violates the right to privacy for grievers.

This ruling has the potential to go either way, so the only surefire way of making sure the WBC and others like them can't harass people is to pass a Constitutional Amendment that limits free speech regarding funerals.

Normally, I'm more in favor of extending free speech, but this is one form of speech that I really feel no one benefits from other than fanatics.

What do you guys think?  Would you support an amendment that bans funeral protests?
13rin
+977|6472
Yes.  Currently tis' law in FL. This to me is kinda like shouting 'fire' in a crowded building (when there's no fire).
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Turquoise
O Canada
I didn't think state governments could actually ban protests.  I'm surprised that hasn't gone to the Supreme Court.

Well, I suppose if state governments can pass a ban on that without it being struck down by the feds...  that would be an even easier way to stop these idiots.
Benzin
+576|5991
I certainly wouldn't mind seeing protests like these banned. You're right, the only people that really have any "benefit", if you want to even use that word, are fanatics. These are the same people who protest against homosexuality at parades for returning fallen soldiers, right?
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5992|Vortex Ring State
I heard the organizing guy on the radio...

"It's irrelevant that this marine was not gay. We live in an age of sodomy..."

no respect at all
Turquoise
O Canada

CapnNismo wrote:

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing protests like these banned. You're right, the only people that really have any "benefit", if you want to even use that word, are fanatics. These are the same people who protest against homosexuality at parades for returning fallen soldiers, right?
Yep...   Their main hatred is for gays, but they've somehow taken things so far as to protest funerals of soldiers because of it.

This seems like one issue that all political sides can agree on.  Liberal, moderate, conservative or whatever...   No one likes fanatical assholes that harass grieving families.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Seems a bit extreme to pass an amendment to block one religious fanatic. WBC are a bunch of dicks but I really don't like any sort of laws or amendments which undermine free speech.

I'm surprised that with all of those disgruntled Iraq veterans running around one of them hasn't decided to wipe out WBC.
Turquoise
O Canada

Macbeth wrote:

Seems a bit extreme to pass an amendment to block one religious fanatic. WBC are a bunch of dicks but I really don't like any sort of laws or amendments which undermine free speech.

I'm surprised that with all of those disgruntled Iraq veterans running around one of them hasn't decided to wipe out WBC.
I don't like legislating out problems either, but this is one case where it seems like you could easily design the law to be completely limited to this specific context.

With most issues, you can't pinpoint the problem with a law.  With this one, you really can.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6642

Much as I enjoy free speech, and dangerous precedent blah blah blah etc, I'm fully in support of this. But like Macbeth says, I'm really surprise no one has shot those fucks.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6685
I'd rather they'd be scared off by gunfire than an amendment be made.
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5029|Massachusetts, USA
That should be included in the amendment. Protesters will be shot at.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
WBC is one of those internet meme things
Tu Stultus Es
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Turquoise wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

I don't like legislating out problems either, but this is one case where it seems like you could easily design the law to be completely limited to this specific context.

With most issues, you can't pinpoint the problem with a law.  With this one, you really can.
You can't really legislate away douchbags. I read the time article and the state laws do a fine enough job already. 
More than 40 states and the U.S. Congress have passed laws limiting funeral protests — largely as a direct result of the Westboro Baptist Church. Many municipalities have also passed funeral-protest ordinances at the local level.

The measures generally criminalize protests near funeral processions as a form of disorderly conduct. The measures typically impose both time and distance limitations. Some of the laws only prohibit protesting at military funerals, while many others ban protests at any funeral.

The Oklahoma Funeral Picketing Act blocks protests at military funerals, prohibiting such activity from one hour before to two hours after the funeral. It also prohibits protests within 300 feet of the location of the funeral service or 300 feet of the “military funeral procession or burial.”
http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/ass … l_protests

WBC wasn't anywhere near the Snyder family or the funeral. Snyder only saw the protest on the news afterward. The most emotional damage came when the father was online and accidentally opened a link by WBC that declared his son was in hell for being Catholic and a few other things.

WBC are asses rah rah rah but after we you ban them for funeral protesting and they find some other way to cause emotional distress to family members what then? Ban something else in reaction to them? Screw playing some stupid game legislative game with these assholes and screw anything that undermines my own personal liberty, rights blah blah blah.

Sorry if my post seems like a bit of a thought salad but something something not really in it right now.
Turquoise
O Canada
Mac, I understand where you're coming from, and you make some good points.

I'll put it this way.  Every state should limit this sort of thing.

However, I wouldn't exactly vote against an Amendment for this ban either.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
the chance of seeing another amendment passed in our lifetimes is slim to none
Tu Stultus Es
Turquoise
O Canada

eleven bravo wrote:

True but there's a significantly higher chance of this one passing than any other I can think of.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Would this hypothetical ban only limit it for soldiers or would it ban all funeral protest? I mean: if the leader of the American Nazi party died and they wanted a massive funeral party in the middle of Atlanta or some equally rundown black area, would protesting the Nazi's funeral party be unconstitutional?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom

Turquoise wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

True but there's a significantly higher chance of this one passing than any other I can think of.
more than the ERA when more than have the population is female?
Tu Stultus Es
EVieira
+105|6471|Lutenblaag, Molvania

Macbeth wrote:

You can't really legislate away douchbags. I read the time article and the state laws do a fine enough job already.
That sums it up. Freedom does have this downside, people have a right to be douchbags if they want to. The governemnt should not ever legislate where you can or can't protest. If a douchbag did you wrong, the law that protects you are civil lawsuits.

If there is one thing I admire in American culture is how everyone fights for their freedoms. In Brazil, we put up with alot more than we should when it comes to freedom of speech. Don't ever loose that.

Last edited by EVieira (2010-10-06 07:58:48)

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
Ticia
+73|5328
The best way to eliminate religious fanatics is to ignore them. If a specific amendment passes then the WBC has a real reason to be boastful.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5351|London, England
Idiots have their right to free speech. Most of the funerals don't even know they are being protested so whatever. I'm surprised there hasn't been any violence because you know the local sheriffs would look the other way if these people were assaulted by a bunch of angry vets. I suppose they video tape everything in order to protect themselves.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ticia wrote:

The best way to eliminate religious fanatics is to ignore them. If a specific amendment passes then the WBC has a real reason to be boastful.
This.

Best way of dealing with any fanatical element in society is to deny them a podium. If they're ignored the ideas eventually wither and die. This is why waging war against an idea is fruitless. You're giving them the attention they desire.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Idiots have their right to free speech. Most of the funerals don't even know they are being protested so whatever. I'm surprised there hasn't been any violence because you know the local sheriffs would look the other way if these people were assaulted by a bunch of angry vets. I suppose they video tape everything in order to protect themselves.
Would you rather risk violence?  I'd rather put something in place to avert the conflict altogether.
Turquoise
O Canada

eleven bravo wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

more than the ERA when more than have the population is female?
Yes, because women are notoriously bad about not standing up for each other.   Men are generally more unified for their rights, but women unfortunately tend to have a lot of infighting.

That might sound sexist, but it seems to match most of history.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Would you rather risk violence?  I'd rather put something in place to avert the conflict altogether.
Sure. It's a one shot deal with no permanent repercussions on the country.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-10-06 08:44:28)

-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard