Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina
As the developing world rises in power, prosperity, and influence, more and more sporting events like the World Cup and the Olympics are being held more frequently in poorer countries.

However, it seems that every time this happens, the local poor are disenfranchised more than normal or are otherwise whisked away to "keep up appearances".   While there are lesser examples of this in wealthier countries, it seems a lot more stark in the developing world.

The justification for holding these events in developing countries is often one regarding prestige, but it seems like the cost to the poor of these countries is rather high.

What do you guys think?
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5991|Vortex Ring State

Turquoise wrote:

As the developing world rises in power, prosperity, and influence, more and more sporting events like the World Cup and the Olympics are being held more frequently in poorer countries.

However, it seems that every time this happens, the local poor are disenfranchised more than normal or are otherwise whisked away to "keep up appearances".   While there are lesser examples of this in wealthier countries, it seems a lot more stark in the developing world.

The justification for holding these events in developing countries is often one regarding prestige, but it seems like the cost to the poor of these countries is rather high.

What do you guys think?
china really isn't a poor country man...

greece didn't really whisk anyone away

england isn't really poor.

we must wait till 2016 in rio to see if this is true, but then again Brazil is part of the BRIC as well...

but yeah, you should say developing not poorer because all of the BRIC (well maybe not the R) have much higher growth rates in the economy than the US.
Phrozenbot
+632|6607|do not disturb

Trotskygrad wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

What do you guys think?

we must wait till 2016 in rio to see if this is true, but then again Brazil is part of the BRIC as well...

but yeah, you should say developing not poorer because all of the BRIC (well maybe not the R) have much higher growth rates in the economy than the US.
China is terrible. No one said England was poor. No one cares about Greece.

Maybe SA?
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5991|Vortex Ring State

Phrozenbot wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

What do you guys think?

China is terrible. No one said England was poor. No one cares about Greece.

Maybe SA?
well what I meant is what most people don't consider china to be poor despite like 90% of the population is peasants with shit quality of living.

anyways...

SA, didn't see that one.

yeah I guess that they had to do a bunch of cleaning up, but I think they gained more than they lost.
Phrozenbot
+632|6607|do not disturb

The way I see it, is that the governments of these nations spend quite a bit of money to build new stadiums for these events and expos so show how modern and advanced they are like the rest of the developed world. South Africa has huge wealth discrepancy between the whites and blacks, and also have an AIDs crisis, but forget that at the lovely world cup there.

I'm guessing a lot of number smudging and knowing and persuading a lot of the right people has a lot to do with some of these countries getting selected for these kind of things. Then again, I don't watch football.
Turquoise
O Canada

Trotskygrad wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

What do you guys think?

Growth rates don't matter compared to standard of living.  Anything not considered developed is poor in my opinion, since the majority of hosts considered are developed countries rather than developing ones -- and for good reason.

Developing countries should focus on more important things than hosting sporting events.  They still need to reach developed status and deal with their massive poverty issues.

Instead, it seems like allowing them to be hosts just gives them an excuse to push their poor around.
Ticia
+73|5327
Not sure about South Africa but I know in Rio de Janeiro they want to clean up most of the favelas by 2016.
Their methods are questionable but the Olympics are only one of an array of reasons why an intervention is needed.

If they succeed on the fight against the drug lords and crime instead of just hiding the slums for one month then they can become an example for other developing countries organising international events.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5251|foggy bottom
uruguay hosted the first world cup
Tu Stultus Es
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6676|United States of America
I recall Atlanta secretly murdered all their homeless people and such before the '96 Olympics (or maybe they told them to beat it, but still). It's not just the poor countries, then. All these sporting events are times for celebrating the exploits of millionaire athletes, not to worry about the people living on the streets with $4 to their name.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
According to someone I know who was at the 1968 Olympics, and involved in military work, it was CIA snipers doing a lot of the shooting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tlatelolco_massacre
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6673|Disaster Free Zone
Those same sporting events bring in far more wealth to the country, and by "keeping up appearance" as you put it, will encourage tourism for years after the event. They create jobs and advertise the country to the rest of the world all while making a profit. Small price to pay imo, assuming the extra revenue goes into developing the country.
Turquoise
O Canada

DrunkFace wrote:

Those same sporting events bring in far more wealth to the country, and by "keeping up appearance" as you put it, will encourage tourism for years after the event. They create jobs and advertise the country to the rest of the world all while making a profit. Small price to pay imo, assuming the extra revenue goes into developing the country.
I really don't see much evidence for that.  Hell, few professional sports teams even accomplish that on a smaller level.

Take, for example, NFL teams.  I don't know of a single NFL team that truly brings in big money for a city on a level that actually makes a significant contribution to the local economy other than maybe the Green Bay Packers and the Pittsburgh Steelers.  The majority of successful sports teams are based in cities that are already huge and would remain huge and mostly unaffected economically if one of their respective teams left.

I find it hard to believe that the Beijing Olympics made any lasting impression on the tourism for China.  I'm sure it was psychologically pleasing for the Chinese themselves in terms of prestige, but economically, it was probably little more than a blip that lasted that summer.

I don't see how Brazil's Olympics will do that either.

It's kind of funny...  A lot of people were upset when Chicago didn't win for hosting the upcoming 2016 Olympic Games, but after finding out how much it would have cost to get the city ready for that, they should be happy.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5690

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard