AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6143|what

"Dr. David Johnston, formerly the president of the University of Waterloo, was installed as Canada's new Governor-General on Friday. As de facto head of state and the Queen's representative in Canada he is required to design a personal coat of arms. One modern detail has attracted particular attention - a 33-digit palindromic binary stream at the base.

Efforts to decode the meaning of the number using ASCII, Morse, grouping by 3/11 and other theories has so far come up empty (right now it's a toss up between random, the phone number 683-077-0643 and Morse code for 'send help - trapped in a coat of arms factory.')

Is 110010111001001010100100111010011 the combination to his luggage, or just a random stream of digits?"
Source - Slashdot.

https://img828.imageshack.us/img828/3598/armoiries.jpg

About the Coat of Arms

Arms

The pattern of interlaced diagonal stripes symbolizes the central role of family and other relationships in Mr. Johnston’s life, as well as his interest in communication networks and his belief in the interconnectedness of knowledge. As these stripes are set at evenly spaced intervals and cross each other in a particular pattern, the design alludes to the importance that Mr. Johnston places on the ideas of order and organization. The Royal Crown indicates that he is the Sovereign’s representative. The books, also shown in the crest, refer to reading and writing and the written transmission of knowledge. They also symbolize the law, which is codified in written records. The colours and the general structure of the arms are found in other Johnston arms from Scotland.

An annulus inscribed with the motto of the Order of Canada, DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM, meaning “They desire a better country”, encircles the shield, and the insignia of a Companion of the Order of Canada is suspended from the shield.

Crest

The candle symbolizes not only learning and enlightenment but also the transmission of learning from one person to another. The books repeat the symbolism from the arms. Shown here as volumes on a shelf, they represent the acquisition of knowledge from many sources. Their number refers to Mr. Johnston’s five daughters.

Motto

The Latin phrase CONTEMPLARE MELIORA, meaning “To envisage a better world” (literally “To envisage better things”), alludes to a line from George Bernard Shaw’s play Back to Methuselah (Part I, Act I): “You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not? ’”.

Supporters

Being fantastical beasts, the unicorns represent dreams, vision, and imagination. They are also a Christian symbol and an emblem of purity, and can therefore represent integrity and faithfulness. Their red colour represents Canada. The astrolabes on their shoulders are symbols of exploration, including the idea of intellectual exploration. They allude to the history of Canada, especially to Samuel de Champlain, who used such an astrolabe. The winged feet, an attribute of Hermes, evoke physical activity, fitness and sports, in addition to being a symbol of communication. The wavy band inscribed with zeros and ones represents a flow of information, digital communication and modern media.
So, anyone here think they could crack

https://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1401/coatarmsbinary584.jpg

According to the GG's website, "The wavy band inscribed with zeros and ones represents a flow of information, digital communication and modern media."
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6762|PNW

I'm just going to pretend that it really is 'send help - trapped in a coat of arms factory.'
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6683
Lol, that's so corny.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4959|Dundee, Scotland.
hex?
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6402|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
Hahahaha awesome. Digging the Morse version
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5779|Catherine Black

Camm wrote:

hex?
Nah his PB Screenshot looked legit.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4959|Dundee, Scotland.

Finray wrote:

Camm wrote:

hex?
Nah his PB Screenshot looked legit.
BA DUM TISH
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard