Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia

Cybargs wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

And what happened to your economy in the 80s
... proves what i posted: as soon as ussr opened themselves to the world market thier economy collapsed.
http://www.cfr.org/content/publications … _Chart.png

Yeah it's totally in the slums
lol. i won't even bother answering this. go read a book on what makes a strong aconomy, will ya.

JohnG@lt wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Protectionism never works...
orly? it worked for ussr, you know. aside from totalitarian ideology, it was hardcore protectionism that enabled them to build a superpower they were.
never works my ass.
Sure, it works if you keep a completely isolated economy. As soon as a protected economy opens itself to any degree it will collapse. A protected economy is simply non-competitive and stagnant. The true loser in a protected economy is the consumer as they are stuck purchasing what ever piece of trash can be produced locally with no competitive compulsion to provide a quality product.
as i said numerous times, not everybody measures his/her well-being in happy-meals-a-day, there are alot of other factors. but you are seemingly incapable of undesrtanding that, so whatever.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5237|Cleveland, Ohio
i would love a happy meal a day

thats a good idea

Last edited by 11 Bravo (2010-09-26 10:18:19)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

Shahter wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Shahter wrote:

... proves what i posted: as soon as ussr opened themselves to the world market thier economy collapsed.
http://www.cfr.org/content/publications … _Chart.png

Yeah it's totally in the slums
lol. i won't even bother answering this. go read a book on what makes a strong aconomy, will ya.

JohnG@lt wrote:

Shahter wrote:

orly? it worked for ussr, you know. aside from totalitarian ideology, it was hardcore protectionism that enabled them to build a superpower they were.
never works my ass.
Sure, it works if you keep a completely isolated economy. As soon as a protected economy opens itself to any degree it will collapse. A protected economy is simply non-competitive and stagnant. The true loser in a protected economy is the consumer as they are stuck purchasing what ever piece of trash can be produced locally with no competitive compulsion to provide a quality product.
as i said numerous times, not everybody measures his/her well-being in happy-meals-a-day, there are alot of other factors. but you are seemingly incapable of undesrtanding that, so whatever.
It's not about happy meals. It's about having cars designed and built that don't collapse on the highway in a high wind. It's about having nuclear power plants that don't overheat and explode.

Maybe you don't mind going to the store and having a single option for whatever it is you wish to purchase. Personally, I enjoy having choices. I can get the laptop in blue with a 100 gig hard drive and a large widescreen instead of being stuck with whatever is being produced by the state run monopoly that year. In black.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-09-26 10:22:38)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
11 Bravo
Banned
sweet the current happy meal toys are little clone wars skateboards.  gonna buy one today.  thank you again for the idea, shatler.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia

JohnG@lt wrote:

It's not about happy meals. It's about having cars designed and built that don't collapse on the highway in a high wind. It's about having nuclear power plants that don't overheat and explode.

Maybe you don't mind going to the store and having a single option for whatever it is you wish to purchase. Personally, I enjoy having choices. I can get the laptop in blue with a 100 gig hard drive.
when i was a kid, my parents didn't even lock the doors, because nobody was affraid of thieves and bandits. and now everybody has a fucking reinforced metal one.
in ussr everybody allowed their kids to be out till dark and later - and now my fiancee almost has a heart attack every time her daughter is late for like half an hour.
in ussr we had a steady population growth up to, iirc, alomost 150 mil in 1990th - and now the decline is at about 700.000 a year.

i could go on forever with this. the point is - you can stick your laptop right up your ass, man. it seems like in your idiotic desire to shit diamonds you are incapable of seeing anything else - it would've actually been funny it it wasn't so sad.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shahter wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Maybe you don't mind going to the store and having a single option for whatever it is you wish to purchase. Personally, I enjoy having choices. I can get the laptop in blue with a 100 gig hard drive.
when i was a kid, my parents didn't even lock the doors, because nobody was affraid of thieves and bandits. and now everybody has a fucking reinforced metal one.
in ussr everybody allowed their kids to be out till dark and later - and now my fiancee almost has a heart attack every time her daughter is late for like half an hour.
in ussr we had a steady population growth up to, iirc, alomost 150 mil in 1990th - and now the decline is at about 700.000 a year.

i could go on forever with this. the point is - you can stick your laptop right up your ass, man. it seems like in your idiotic desire to shit diamonds you are incapable of seeing anything else - it would've actually been funny it it wasn't so sad.
This has been a change globally, not just in Russia. When I was a kid I was out in the street until well after dark most nights playing baseball or football. Now you never see kids outside. I blame video games and paranoid parents for this. Anyway, because kids are no longer outside, there has been an increase in the crime rate. Nothing deters criminals like a busy street. So, staying inside and barricading your doors actually makes the situation worse. Just food for thought.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5999|...
Russian manufacturing principles worked out really well for them during the soviet era. Cheap, easy to mass-produce and sturdy. When I was in Kazachstan we were driving in a 35 year old lada (minimal amount of parts changed since purchase), broke down on the road and the guy fixed the engine with elastic bands and a little ducktape, lol.

People were generally alot more self reliant aswell. In a TV-docu about some guy travelling through Russia for a couple of months you really got to see all the new / good / bad things about the place. What stuck with me the most was some lady who needed to have her lock fixed, some guy did it for her and she asked "how much money do you want for it?" fella got angry talking about how noone would actually do things for eachother anymore simply to help out unlike the 'olden days'.

The soviet union was one hell of a big mess in alot of other departments though, but it really wasn't all bad.
inane little opines
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
russia lost the cold war lol
Tu Stultus Es
11 Bravo
Banned

eleven bravo wrote:

russia lost the cold war lol
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina
John, this is my reply.  I think Colbert has the right idea.

I think the market is best served by genetically engineering fruit to pick itself putting forth certain regulations to protect the rights of workers while opening up the visa system to accomodate the many workers that would like to be here legally.

As for manufacturing jobs, I would agree that protectionism won't stop them from leaving.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716
holiday working visa program would help america get a lot of cheap immigrant labour.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6549|San Diego, CA, USA

Cybargs wrote:

holiday working visa program would help america get a lot of cheap immigrant labour.
Why do we need cheap immigrant labour now?  We have 9.6% unemployment (real unemployment rate of 16.6%).

Shouldn't we be talking about helping our own citizens first?  Or are American works too 'proud' to work the jobs immigrant labour are willing to work?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Harmor wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Why do we need cheap immigrant labour now?  We have 9.6% unemployment (real unemployment rate of 16.6%).

Shouldn't we be talking about helping our own citizens first?  Or are American works too 'proud' to work the jobs immigrant labour are willing to work?
You really think most of those who got laid off would work in a farm and do shitty jobs?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

Cybargs wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

You really think most of those who got laid off would work in a farm and do shitty jobs?
Well here's a Farm Worker job making $9.78 /hr.  You can work at Burger King flipping burgers for $8.50 /hr.

I wonder how much more that job would be if we didn't have so many poor illegal immigrants depressing the wage?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Harmor wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Well here's a Farm Worker job making $9.78 /hr.  You can work at Burger King flipping burgers for $8.50 /hr.

I wonder how much more that job would be if we didn't have so many poor illegal immigrants depressing the wage?
Zero. Farm product prices are capped by the government in order to keep food prices down.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Zero. Farm product prices are capped by the government in order to keep food prices down.
Well, it depends on the product.  Some subsidies are designed to keep the prices up.

Overall, we need to end all agricultural subsidies, because, for the most part, the foods that are cheapest in an open market with no intervention are actually healthier than the ones that are naturally more expensive.

We subsidize beef to keep it cheaper, but it's unhealthy for us.  We don't subsidize fish, which makes it more expensive comparatively, but it's healthier.

On the other hand, we subsidize dairy products like milk and cheese to keep those prices up, when they naturally would be cheaper to purchase.
Turquoise
O Canada

Harmor wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Well, if our inflation continues and our debts aren't handled properly in the near future, our standard of living may fall enough that our unemployed will be both cheaper to hire and more willing to work shit jobs.  You could say the market might solve that issue all by itself.

On the other hand, it's kind of sad to think that our people would even have to compete for such shitty jobs to begin with.  Our education system should be capable of making our labor force more skilled, but apparently, it has failed a large portion of the population.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia

JohnG@lt wrote:

This has been a change globally, not just in Russia. When I was a kid I was out in the street until well after dark most nights playing baseball or football. Now you never see kids outside. I blame video games and paranoid parents for this. Anyway, because kids are no longer outside, there has been an increase in the crime rate. Nothing deters criminals like a busy street. So, staying inside and barricading your doors actually makes the situation worse. Just food for thought.
pffft. speak for yourself, would you kindly. you've no idea what you are talking about - you simply spewing the bullshit you red in a school textbooks about how ussr was an evil empire oppressing its people, while you were born in the land of perfect freedom and liberty. had you been here in 1990-es you'd have known why everybody barricades their doors now. video-games my ass.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shahter wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

pffft. speak for yourself, would you kindly. you've no idea what you are talking about - you simply spewing the bullshit you red in a school textbooks about how ussr was an evil empire oppressing its people, while you were born in the land of perfect freedom and liberty. had you been here in 1990-es you'd have known why everybody barricades their doors now. video-games my ass.
It's got nothing to do with textbooks. In fact, the USSR and Russia are barely mentioned in American history textbooks. They focus on Western Europe for the most part.
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

JohnG@lt wrote:

Shahter wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

It's got nothing to do with textbooks. In fact, the USSR and Russia are barely mentioned in American history textbooks. They focus on Western Europe for the most part.
When I was in high school they focused a bit on Mongols and Bolshevik uprising for Russia.

i dont think shahster needs to post anymore. if he wants to point his opinion he should just type "my opinion" same old dribble blah blah westerners propaganda you dont know shit.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Face it, History in our schools is sorely undervalued in the curriculum.  They would rather teach kids about Daddy and Daddy, how to put a condom on a Banana, and how the sea level is going to rise because their parents drove them to school in an SUV than teach them about History.  (Did you know they actually showed Al Gore's movie in schools?)

What's the saying, "Those Who Do Not Learn From History Are DOOMED To Repeat It!"
Reciprocity
+721|6581|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Harmor wrote:

Face it, History in our schools is sorely undervalued in the curriculum.  They would rather teach kids about Daddy and Daddy, how to put a condom on a Banana, and how the sea level is going to rise because their parents drove them to school in an SUV than teach them about History.  (Did you know they actually showed Al Gore's movie in schools?)

What's the saying, "Those Who Do Not Learn From History Are DOOMED To Repeat It!"
don't forget evolution.  you know it's just a theory.
Turquoise
O Canada

Harmor wrote:

I'd be less worried about history and more worried about the lack of practical business courses.  Teaching people how to invest properly is very needed at this point.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

Reciprocity wrote:

Harmor wrote:

don't forget evolution.  you know it's just a theory.
Who knows for sure.  As far as we know we're all a figment of your imagination :-P

13.6 billion years it took for us to get here and look at our achievement (a bunch of guys on a Internet forum).
oChaos.Haze
+90|6438

Harmor wrote:

Face it, History in our schools is sorely undervalued in the curriculum.  They would rather teach kids about Columbus discovering America, how the US basically won WWII alone, how we got our land from the Natives through peace and concerned corralling, and how superior we have always been to any contender.   

What's the saying, "Those Who Learn From a false History Are DOOMED!"
Fix'd

Dude, how many classes do you think it takes to show kids how to put on condoms?  One.  Not weekly, just one.  It's a valid lesson, as obviously teaching kids to abstain is ludicrous at best.  Kids have always been fuckin', just back in the day, you got sent off to a school once pregnant, so no one could see you while carrying.  Promptly pop off the baby to rich family, or have the baby become the mother's sister and grandma assumes the role of mom.  No facebook, no internet, not even telnet email.  Secrets were secrets then.  That's the only reason conservatives can even look back at the false "good times" and want them back.  They never existed, but ignorance is bliss...

Happened SO SO SO much more than you'd think. 

Don't use liberal stereotypes to blame our education system, as that's incredibly easy to call the bluff.  Absolutely in NO way can teaching a kid to put on a condom do damage to us.  As many of these members know, putting on a condom < sex.  Putting on a condom is protecting your life, your family, showing that impulse shall not prevail over logic.

Last edited by oChaos.Haze (2010-09-28 00:05:40)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard