unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Fair enough.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694
I feel like such a bad-ass when I have exact change to pay for something that measures down to the hundredths decimal.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Meanwhile the twenty people behind you in line are rocking back and forth on their feet, checking their cell phones for the time or rolling their eyes.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6001|The Mitten
it's like those commercials for mastercard or something - everybody is moving along in a choreographed manner, paying with plastic, then that one person - that guy - has to fumble for cash.
EE (hats
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

Morpheus wrote:

it's like those commercials for mastercard or something - everybody is moving along in a choreographed manner, paying with plastic, then that one person - that guy - has to fumble for cash.
Swiping the card, waiting for authorization, and signing the receipt usually takes longer than paying in cash. IJS.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6001|The Mitten

JohnG@lt wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Swiping the card, waiting for authorization, and signing the receipt usually takes longer than paying in cash. IJS.
EE (hats
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Morpheus wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Eh.

Items scanned, card swiped, receipt taken, done. The only reason it takes longer than that is if you have to enter a pin number or type in your telephone number for access to grocery store sales...or it's declined.

People with cash sit there pulling one dollar after another out of their wallets. That isn't so bad, until you see them dig out a handful of change to add to it.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6132|North Tonawanda, NY

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Eh.

Items scanned, card swiped, receipt taken, done. The only reason it takes longer than that is if you have to enter a pin number or type in your telephone number for access to grocery store sales...or it's declined.

People with cash sit there pulling one dollar after another out of their wallets. That isn't so bad, until you see them dig out a handful of change to add to it.
Let's all agree that the real jerks are the ones who pay with a check...  Seriously though, why the rancor towards people who use pennies to pay?  Is everyone in that much of a rush all the time?
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

JohnG@lt wrote:

Cheez wrote:

It still has a gate?

C'mon man, they charge us while we're doing 100.
New York has gates. New Jersey does not.
I haven't seen a single EZ Pass with a gate in the many toll barriers I've gone through in upstate and western New York. 
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6781|Great Brown North
or people don't take care of their card so it doesn't swipe properly, due to it being broken and covered in 6 layers of grime
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

SenorToenails wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Eh.

Let's all agree that the real jerks are the ones who pay with a check...  Seriously though, why the rancor towards people who use pennies to pay?  Is everyone in that much of a rush all the time?
Before I started just using cards, I could pay with a check faster than most people could count pennies. The secret is to have everything but the price already filled out before you get to the counter.

Too bad almost no check users are willing to do that, and that most of them are SLOW writers.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Eh.

Before I started just using cards, I could pay with a check faster than most people could count pennies. The secret is to have everything but the price already filled out before you get to the counter.
Finding a place around here that accepts personal checks is pretty difficult.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

It is nowadays.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Eh.

Too bad almost no check users are willing to do that, and that most of them are SLOW writers.
My parents used to do that too, way back before debit cards became the norm.  You'd think that if you had to write a check, you'd at least know what the date is...

I only ever pay with a pennies if my bill is something like 2.52, then if I have two pennies I'll toss them in so I can get quarters for change.  I need those for the laundromat, you know! 
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SenorToenails wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

My parents used to do that too, way back before debit cards became the norm.  You'd think that if you had to write a check, you'd at least know what the date is...

I only ever pay with a pennies if my bill is something like 2.52, then if I have two pennies I'll toss them in so I can get quarters for change.  I need those for the laundromat, you know! 
I'm the same way. And I always know how much change I have in my pocket before I go reaching in so I don't waste anyones time by coming up short.

I have a gift for numbers
-Frederick Bastiat
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone

JohnG@lt wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Precision.
That was my opinion too, until I sat down and thought about it. When was the last time you paid anyone with pennies? These days, people look upon penny-pushing customers at the front of the line as time-wasting jackasses, and it exasperates the cashiers.

Sure, I'll put them in my pocket if given as change, but if I'm paying attention, I'll decline them or drop them into a donation box. Besides which, real precision is handled at the electronic level in fractions of a cent.

I could see changing them to limited-use currency and increasing the half-dollar to a wider use.
Just about every day I hand over pennies. Then there are other issues like stock and currency valuations, sales tax rates etc on down the line that all depend on the penny as an incremental. Why anyone would bitch about pennies is beyond me anyway. It's not like anyone but my girlfriend is carrying around a 10 lb bag full of them. They sit in a jar until they get turned in. Not a big deal, and definitely not worth the hassle and unintended side effects of doing away with it.

Understand when I say all this that I am not one of those guys that believes in custom or doing things 'because thats the way they've always been done'. Really, no line of thinking infuriates me more. In this instance the side effects of doing away with the penny really don't outweigh the benefits.
You're joking right?
How does any of that depend or even slightly relate to pennies?

Hell it was only just over 10 years ago (10 years 1 month) you bothered to change your stock market from fractions of a dollars to decimals. So where are all your 1/32 coins and 1/64 coins that your stock market must have depended on back then?
BVC
+325|6697

Spark wrote:

I heard a rumour once that if you taped two of them back-to-back then a vending machine would think it was a $2 coin but I doubt it works (vending machines don't quite work like that and a $2 coin is much more than twice as heavy as a 5c coin)
Until we shrunk our coins and got rid of the 5c, we could use our cent coins in each other's vending machines and vice versa, except maybe for 50s.  I think Fiji still uses the same sized coins too.

Is your pre-decimal currency the same size as your current stuff?  (6pence = 5c, shilling = 10c, florin = 20c, half crown = 50c)

Last edited by Pubic (2010-09-23 17:57:10)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone

Pubic wrote:

Spark wrote:

I heard a rumour once that if you taped two of them back-to-back then a vending machine would think it was a $2 coin but I doubt it works (vending machines don't quite work like that and a $2 coin is much more than twice as heavy as a 5c coin)
Until we shrunk our coins and got rid of the 5c, we could use our cent coins in each other's vending machines and vice versa, except maybe for 50s.  I think Fiji still uses the same sized coins too.

Is your pre-decimal currency the same size as your current stuff?  (6pence = 5c, shilling = 10c, florin = 20c, half crown = 50c)
Yes, very similar in size/weight. Except the 50c.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6550|San Diego, CA, USA
Has anyone mentioned already the major credit card companies have been working on micro-payments in `smart cards` and embedded in phones?  My understanding is that in other parts of the world they already use phones for micro-payments.

If micro-payments from, whatever device, becomes so common place many of coins could be done away with, especially as they cost more in precious metals than the actual value on the coin (i.e. as of May 2008 it costs $0.0126 to make a penny).

https://img844.imageshack.us/img844/8620/cellphonecoke.jpg

Source: http://gizmodo.com/204157/purchase-coca … -cellphone

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard