SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6137|North Tonawanda, NY

Uzique wrote:

it's not like the motion picture authorities or the movie classification boards in america... you know, those concentrated small groups of angry neo-puritan housewives classifying all sorts of perfectly acceptable films as 'R' rated and thus dooming them to commercial failure: that's an example of an industry group that exercises an undemocratic amount of power, much to the detriment of the industry. the ASA is britain's advertising industries completely self-funded, self-run and self-regulated body that responds to PUBLIC DEMAND. i don't see how its censoring, undemocratic or 'problematic', even.
The MPAA is a good example of industry self-regulation.  It isn't illegal to admit people under 17 into a rated R movie but if a theater does that consistantly, the MPAA will no longer do business with them--which is a death sentence.  And the MPAA ratings board is as Uzique says, though it is the dreaded NC-17 rating that will guarantee the failure of a movie, not R. 

There was a good documentary on the ratings board--This Movie Is Not Yet Rated.  It shows how secretive and arbitrary the whole process is.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5365|London, England

Uzique wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Uzique wrote:

right so you can quote one utilitarian thinker and still completely not get the principle, hahahaha.

typical galt
The failure is on your part zique.
seeing as we're discussing legal concepts of censorship here and legal action against advertisers...

i am relying upon the key utilitarian thinker for legal concepts: jeremy bentham, NOT MILL.

"the greatest good for the greatest number" etc.

thus an advert that appeals to a tiny minority of people offending an entire city/nation's catholics... just no.
I simply choose the individualist within the school
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6598
A pregnant 'immaculately conceived' nun selling ice cream is kind of funny and relevant.

Now, a wincing altar boy being used to sell Preparation-H hemorrhoid ointment, that would be hilarious to me. And wildly inappropriate.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

rdx-fx wrote:

A pregnant 'immaculately conceived' nun selling ice cream is kind of funny and relevant.

Now, a wincing altar boy being used to sell Preparation-H hemorrhoid ointment, that would be hilarious to me. And wildly inappropriate.
I 'd
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6412|North Carolina

Uzique wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Uzique wrote:

so anyway john considering the ASA's process is essentially the exact same as multiple individuals replying to the 'market' in america, i.e. by picketing the business and forcing it to 'capitulate' on its advertising interests... are they both 'censorship', then? if the above example of an advert widely exploiting mormon stereotypes was democratically reacted against by the people at large... would they be 'censoring' the business? or is it a fair, democratic process? im confused as to where you personally draw the lines, considering that one thing is applaudable democratic action to you and the other is terrible acts of censorship.
Yes, of course they are both censorship. I don't agree with either form but I also have a thick skin and am rather difficult to offend The idea of self-policing businesses just strikes me as bad form. You're condensing power into the hands of a few who may have a much different opinion of what is acceptable than the public at large. That's my complaint with your system.
my complaint with you americans is that you clearly don't have a fucking clue about how the system works.

the 'small few' is actually a large body of people, a very wide representation of the industry.

and, the KEY PART, is that they do not take action until the "PUBLIC AT LARGE" demand it.

it's not like the motion picture authorities or the movie classification boards in america... you know, those concentrated small groups of angry neo-puritan housewives classifying all sorts of perfectly acceptable films as 'R' rated and thus dooming them to commercial failure: that's an example of an industry group that exercises an undemocratic amount of power, much to the detriment of the industry. the ASA is britain's advertising industries completely self-funded, self-run and self-regulated body that responds to PUBLIC DEMAND. i don't see how its censoring, undemocratic or 'problematic', even.
It is censorship then, but it's self censorship.  I'll amend the OP to reflect that.

Still, it sounds like U.K. citizens are pretty politically correct on average.

Granted, too many Americans are as well.
Turquoise
O Canada

rdx-fx wrote:

LOL...  THAT's what I'm talking about.  It probably wouldn't sell well, but it would be awesome for an ad.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6477

JohnG@lt wrote:

Uzique wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

The failure is on your part zique.
seeing as we're discussing legal concepts of censorship here and legal action against advertisers...

i am relying upon the key utilitarian thinker for legal concepts: jeremy bentham, NOT MILL.

"the greatest good for the greatest number" etc.

thus an advert that appeals to a tiny minority of people offending an entire city/nation's catholics... just no.
I simply choose the individualist within the school
well dont tell me i dont understand utilitarianism when you're quoting fucking mill on legal matters.

jeremy bentham is one of the philosophical key-points for all democratic legal systems.

you're the one that's wildly out of context quoting random shite, not me.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6361

Uzique wrote:

i hate catholics. i detest fucking catholics. i hate everything their faith and institution stands for.
I guessed this but why?  How do you feel about islam then, and why ? Should I go off about your lack of capitalisation ?

Uzique wrote:

im sorry but how can you possibly hope to construe an insult when you cannot even spell
Insult ? For this I usually cut and paste your own quotes

JohnG@lt wrote:

I live in the nanny state capital
A Cooperism ?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6477
im not really sure why turq and co. keep using 'political correctness' as if its a euphemism for some terrible crime.

were you guys really so fond of 9/11 that you want a bunch more?

i can do without race-riots and mass discontent in my country, thanks very much.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

im not really sure why turq and co. keep using 'political correctness' as if its a euphemism for some terrible crime.

i can do without race-riots and mass discontent in my country, thanks very much.
Have you ever seen Gran Torino?
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6477
no but im sure a hollywood flick can tell me a bunch more about multiculturalism in london than actually living there!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I just described the nun ad to my devoutly Catholic best friend...

His response? "    ahahaha"
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

no but im sure a hollywood flick can tell me a bunch more about multiculturalism in london than actually living there!
It's a good one to rent.

Point being that racism and other crap festers under the surface precisely because of political correctness. Get it all out in the open, deal with it, and you can laugh it off instead of walking around all day with a stick up your ass trying to be offended by every small thing.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6477
i don't have a stick up my ass because i'm repressing my freudian urge to call my black friends "homies" and "niggas".

im fine, thanks very much.

also many of my friends are devoutly religious- catholics, too. they'd laugh at it. but they wouldn't then go and make an ad offensive to atheists.

it's petulant and silly. you know you're doing something wrong when a religious person can take the high-ground.
Turquoise
O Canada

Uzique wrote:

I would rather have riots than become blandly complacent.

I was always fond of conflict theory in sociology.  It seems like very little gets accomplished without some major clash between ideologies and/or cultures.

I despise PC in all of its forms -- the left wing ones and the right wing ones.

I would prefer that everyone was as cynical and hard to offend as George Carlin.  Why?  Because we could then focus on the real issues and maybe come up with something that would move us away from religion and attachment to symbols or traditions.

Rationality requires a certain amount of skepticism and a thick skin.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6477
i think rationality strikes a line somewhere between what you believe now and what you perceive as 'political correctness'.

i agree with your points... mostly... but you just can't be all shock & awe in your approach to progressivism. it doesn't work.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6361

Uzique wrote:

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

What kind of name is Tipper?
How the 773H did she get here ? Sorry Bravo, I didn't do it ! Knock off the sentence spacing uziqe Ghetto can't read that, makes him upset too!
seriously am i the only guy that reads his messages and feels like somebody mistranslating encrypted signals from the enigma machine?
G@lt can Read, retain, recall and reference, it doesn't trip him up so.

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2010-09-16 09:41:50)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6477
dude i spend all day decrypting (post) modernist poets, for fun

by the time i get to your jargon i feel like putting a round in my head
eleven bravo
+1,399|5266|foggy bottom

JohnG@lt wrote:

Uzique wrote:

gran torino is not that good of a movie if you ask me.  if anybody other than clint eastwood was starring in it it would have gone direct to dvd.
Tu Stultus Es
Turquoise
O Canada

Uzique wrote:

i think rationality strikes a line somewhere between what you believe now and what you perceive as 'political correctness'.

i agree with your points... mostly... but you just can't be all shock & awe in your approach to progressivism. it doesn't work.
Admittedly, I'm not saying that Dawkins or Hitchens are particularly successful at converting people to their views.

Sam Harris is more diplomatic and more effective.

Still, given the short time I have on this planet, I'm more interested in short term conflicts than long term diplomacy.  There has to be a greater swing toward offensiveness before more diplomatic behavior can commence regarding religion.
jord
+2,382|6685|The North, beyond the wall.

eleven bravo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Uzique wrote:

gran torino is not that good of a movie if you ask me.  if anybody other than clint eastwood was starring in it it would have gone direct to dvd.
That's probably true but the whole film just centres around a grumpy old war vet. Clint plays it well
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6688|Disaster Free Zone
Mericans got an Aussie ad 'banned'.
rdx-fx
+955|6598

Uzique wrote:

Political Correctness has gone completely stupid in this country.  It is the new Doubleplusungood Groupthink.
It gives us Zero Tolerance policies where children are expelled from school for having Aspirin, while violent gang members are being allowed to stay in high schools as to expel them would be "racist".

It is the extreme marginal interpretation of certain laws, with no common sense applied to it, in a fruitless attempt to be 'fair' to all, that has morphed into a form of oppression instead.

Politically Correct, as it has come to be used here, is a "terrible crime".  It is a crime against our ideals, it is an affront to reason, it is the absence of common sense, and it is devoid of compassion and fairness.  It is the endgame of a Republican Democracy turned into a mindless Bureaucracy.

It is Kafka, Orwell, and Dostoyevsky collaborating on a screen play for a Michael Bay film, America: 1984 to 2012

Last edited by rdx-fx (2010-09-16 09:48:03)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Uzique wrote:

To each their own, beaner.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

eleven bravo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Uzique wrote:

I disagree.  I thought it was written well too.   The scene where he walks out of the truck was hilarious.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard