11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5208|Cleveland, Ohio
Why isnt it popular here in the US?  I mean most of us play it when we are little thru our teen years.  So why does it fade?
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

It's not as lucrative for advertisers. People get bored watching guys run around for 90 minutes and rarely score. Though the same could be said about baseball.

That's why sports like American football and basketball are popular, because the scores get way up there, and points are made in high frequency.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6468

i see it getting a little traction, now. to have a US team actually win a world Cup game helps. no offense to our European members, but the US needed something like Major League Soccer to be created (and then leagues like Europe) and then get there ass handed to them when they play Continental teams. the LA team needed Beckham way more than he needed them . . .
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6460|Gogledd Cymru

High profile players like Pele, Beckham, Henry etc will help, I can imagine a lot more moving towards the end of their careers for some financial security too.

In time it will be big.
rdx-fx
+955|6562
Futbol is not uniquely American. 
Baseball, NASCAR, and American Football are "American" sports.

Too many people here perfectly content to pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist, except for on CNN and Fox.
Easier to do if all the teams in the World Championship event of your favorite "sport" are all American.

And, we don't do sports.  We do "excuses to sit around, drink beer, and yell at the TV".  Half the sports fans in this country would have a damn coronary event just watching those soccer players run around the field like they do.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6781|Nårvei

Soccer needs a tweak to be popular in the US ...

*Each goal should yield 1000 points
*Each player should get points for downing an opponent, not those fag-like red and yellow cards
*Remove the keeper
*Enlarge the goal
*Double the amount of players on the pitch
*Commercial breaks that yields the fatties a short rest
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6592|London, England

mtb0minime wrote:

It's not as lucrative for advertisers. People get bored watching guys run around for 90 minutes and rarely score. Though the same could be said about baseball.

That's why sports like American football and basketball are popular, because the scores get way up there, and points are made in high frequency.
But with baseball, there's plenty of interruptions for ad breaks and stuff. TV rules the US. If the media see sports like NFL and baseball which gives them tons of ad time and revenue, they'll heavily promote that ahead of something like football.

This goes back towards history when sports was developing alongside TV in the US

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-09-10 06:11:19)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Varegg wrote:

*Each player should get points for downing an opponent, not those fag-like red and yellow cards
*Remove the keeper
*Enlarge the goal
Play it against only 13 US based teams and 1 Japanese based team and call it a World Series.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
11 Bravo
Banned

AussieReaper wrote:

Varegg wrote:

*Remove the keeper
*Enlarge the goal
Play it against only 13 US based teams and 1 Japanese based team and call it a World Series.
thank you both for your awesome contributions.  stupid twats.
jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.
A lack of support at high school/college?

A certain unmanly stigma attached when rough, tough american football is the main sport?

A lack of a few world class teams?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
They say they wear pads because they hit each other so hard. I say the only reason they hit each other so hard is because they wear padding. Let's see how eager these guys are to be so hard if they're playing american football with minimal protection, just like another sport.
11 Bravo
Banned
mek you are beyond stupid sometimes.  one lineman could bench press all of man united ffs.
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6373|dm_maidenhead

11 Bravo wrote:

mek you are beyond stupid sometimes.  one lineman could bench press all of man united ffs.
he should probably practice lining a bit more instead of weightlifting then
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
What do you mean that "most of us play it"? I would say most of us have played it (i.e. in gym class or so forth), but you usually get peewee football, Little League, whatever your youth basketball thing is called, and the soccer people, who tend to stick with it through high school.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5454|Bolingbrook, Illinois
because the media can't advertise with soccer aas much as they can in other sports
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5935|London, England

Mekstizzle wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

But with baseball, there's plenty of interruptions for ad breaks and stuff. TV rules the US. If the media see sports like NFL and baseball which gives them tons of ad time and revenue, they'll heavily promote that ahead of something like football.

This goes back towards history when sports was developing alongside TV in the US
Because people only started playing baseball when the television came out
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Mekstizzle
WALKER

Mutantbear wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

I'm talking about why certain sports prevailed in the US over others, commercial interests and media plays a big part. You can see it so clearly, how the US Sports can be dominated by ad breaks which means so much revenue for the broadcasters. There's no way they'd rather have something as commercially unfriendly as 'soccer' compared to something like american football. It all adds up.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6468

i like your new avatar, mek
Mekstizzle
WALKER
i'll alternate between f1 and pats depending on what's going on, so no u burns
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6468

stop derailing!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
A Its a really boring game.
B US Sports are about sponsorship and advertising.

A + B does not compute.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
11 Bravo
Banned

Mekstizzle wrote:

Mutantbear wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

I'm talking about why certain sports prevailed in the US over others, commercial interests and media plays a big part. You can see it so clearly, how the US Sports can be dominated by ad breaks which means so much revenue for the broadcasters. There's no way they'd rather have something as commercially unfriendly as 'soccer' compared to something like american football. It all adds up.
eh?  watching an english football match is like watching people play on the yellow pages ffs.
GravyDan
Back from the Grave(y)
+768|5903|CA
Maybe it's because it's gayer than jizz on a mustache?
jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.
So you like it then dan?
mikkel
+383|6572
Because professional league sports in the U.S. are little more than soap operas for men. If you can't clip together a bunch of people or cars slamming together framed by some form of dramatic orchestral music with entirely too much emphasis on brass instruments, then you won't catch the interest of people looking to get their adrenal glands going and their testicles humming.

Association football isn't dramatic enough.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard