Sgt.Gene
+215|6763
Just wondering if any of you noticed that when u fire a missile from a jet now at a target it flys sideways

instaed of it flying like this:  ------     it now flys to the side but vertical... weird next time u lock on and fire a missile look for it
sparklet
Banned
+34|6747|stop corecting my grammer!!!!!
who cares
i now OWN in air to air combat the AA lock is SO GOOD
the AA vechils OWN choppers and jets
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Hmm, this could be a bad thing, but I'll reserve judgement for when I actually try it out.

Piloting fighters in 1.12, I could merely dodge missiles from angry jetfighters chasing just by executing a neat series of manuevers that the missiles couldn't track with their own momentum. If DICE has turned AA into no-skill Unreal-like AVRiLs (only with a higher speed), I'm going to be somewhat irritated.

Are the days of dogfighting over?

Update: Hah. Looks like they are AVRiLs...damnit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIwheIX13_o (from the "Omfg. (aa)" thread). All the ground pounders will be jumping up and down like angry terrorists on airplane and grasshopper wreckage. AA is honestly a no-skill ordeal now. I just watched an AA missile perform a 90-degree to fly sideways against its own thrust to slam into me while I was flying straight down with afterburners engaged. WTF is that?

In 1.12, I had no problem taking out vehicles with AA. Just wait for their countermeasures to disperse, and poof. Now, in maps with AA planted all over the place, helo survivability will be nil...and to make things worse, TV range has been decreased, so you can't even resort to that. Forget taking out a chopper with a Vodnik now. Nerf launcher emplacements all the way...what a rip.

All fine and dandy for the groundpounders to cheer and yell "PAYBACK", but can you honestly say that this is a balancing change when aircraft were already so easy to take out? The only change I would have made would be to increase tank damage vs choppers, as one tank shell can easily take out an airplane. Other people can chant "REALISTIC," but since when is a missile changing directions against the direction of its thrust realistic? Maybe they should have given armor the "realistic" option of going into BF1942/VN-like artillery mode and firing from in-base.

Then I went into AA and sat there, not really paying attention, with a bowl of lasagna in my lap. I'd just hear a lock on and fire without looking at the screen. 4 times out of 5, I got a kill. Jets stopped trying, and it got very, very dull and boring for me. No challenge...

Have fun with your new noobtoobs.

*waits eagerly for a 1.21 tweak*

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-02-14 21:05:53)

DU
+0|6655
Pay Back Time Jet Whores
batman_psu
+3|6750
i just got done a few rounds on Gulf of Oman.  after 3 kills by me using the Phalanx, no other pilot even dared come within range of the carrier.  it was great (and boring).  i locked on to one jet, fired one or 2 missiles before it got out of range and the 3rd after the lock was gone.  i see 1 x.  2 x's!  3 x's!!!   "BubbleGhost81 [USS Essex]  poorpilot"     SWEET!    its great.  takes about 5 seconds of direct phalanx to down a blackhawk and about 2-3 seconds of direct phalanx to down a plane.  AWESOME.
crazymonkee84
+0|6646
well thats bad and good good being no more jet or heli whores bad thing being its a complete no skill weapon....
dracul
+2|6807
"In 1.12, I had no problem taking out vehicles with AA."

Congrats, you must have mystical powers.

shooting aam missiles at zero deflection, zero relative velocity shots on helicopters, half of the time you would see them pass directly THROUGH the target without exploding.

same deal with sams.

Do not even get started at how the j10 is apparently a "stealth" aircraft.

Not questionable lag misses. I'm talking about where the missiles contrails would track directly to the vehicle, stop at the paint, and then continue through the otherside.

Im not talking about shooting through the doors on blackhawks, either. I mean you'd see the missile pass through the tail rotor, the tail boom, the engine cowling and out the front of the helicopter.

It was laughable. 90% of the time I would have to slow down to stall speed and cannon them to death instead.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

No mystical powers at all. Just don't shoot at them while they're popping chaff. Alternatively, switch to a real-skill vehicle/fixed machine gun for a quick kill. The only thing they needed to fix were the occasional dummy AA missile explosions that did no damage to your target at all. Maybe your experience was different, but I never saw a missile just pass through a target aircraft. They sometimes just missed them by a few feet. A better change would have been to give them proximity explosion to at least inflict splash damage on your target, and this would have helped to prevent so many random friendly-fire AA kills resulting from misses and automatic reacquiring.

They've been picking at AA for awhile now, but 1.2 has been a complete cavein to people who don't know what they're doing with AA. Instead of improving the weapon for the better, they've given low-skill players the ability to take out high-skill players with no real innate skill. It's just the computer doing all the work. I don't even see Tunguskas using their primary fire mode anymore...

dracul wrote:

"In 1.12, I had no problem taking out vehicles with AA."

Congrats, you must have mystical powers.

shooting aam missiles at zero deflection, zero relative velocity shots on helicopters, half of the time you would see them pass directly THROUGH the target without exploding.

same deal with sams.

Do not even get started at how the j10 is apparently a "stealth" aircraft.

Not questionable lag misses. I'm talking about where the missiles contrails would track directly to the vehicle, stop at the paint, and then continue through the otherside.

Im not talking about shooting through the doors on blackhawks, either. I mean you'd see the missile pass through the tail rotor, the tail boom, the engine cowling and out the front of the helicopter.

It was laughable. 90% of the time I would have to slow down to stall speed and cannon them to death instead.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-02-14 21:03:45)

batman_psu
+3|6750
Skill SHMILL.  you're pointing and clicking.  not performing brain surgery.  stop being so high and mighty.
dracul
+2|6807
Just don't shoot at them while they're popping chaff.
It has nothing to do with chaff. The missiles CLIPPED THROUGH THE HELICOPTER > 50% of the time.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

batman_psu wrote:

Skill SHMILL.  you're pointing and clicking.  not performing brain surgery.  stop being so high and mighty.
AA now involves pointing and clicking in a way that was never accessable to jets; you don't have to pay attention! Real nice balancing feature there, Scooter...

I can sit my grandma down at an AA station and just tell her to click the mouse buttons when she hears the speakers buzzing, and she will rack up kills. Meanwhile, some ace dogfighter will be left with the short end of the stick.

dracul wrote:

Just don't shoot at them while they're popping chaff.
It has nothing to do with chaff. The missiles CLIPPED THROUGH THE HELICOPTER > 50% of the time.
Never had that happen, but then I only have 6.5 hours and a 4:1 k/d ratio with AA (and no, don't just sit up on a hill and shoot at spawning infantry), so I might not have had the opportunity to experience that bug. But if that was the main problem, they should have just fixed thatm, instead of giving missiles a higher accuracy than quantum torpedoes. And I stand by my proximity explosion suggestion for at least a small amount of splash damage from an, ah, near-miss. Everybody would have been happy.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-02-14 21:17:07)

batman_psu
+3|6750
"AA now involves pointing and clicking in a way that was never accessable to jets; you don't have to pay attention! Real nice balancing feature there, Scooter...

I can sit my grandma down at an AA station and just tell her to click the mouse buttons when she hears the speakers buzzing, and she will rack up kills. Meanwhile, some ace dogfighter will be left with the short end of the stick."                  -unnamednewbie13
and why should AA be more complicated than that?  you flyboys are piloting multimillion dollar aircraft with a mouse and keyboard (or stick).  my grandma can do that shit too. 

...and don't call me scooter, gaylord!
The Soup Nazi
+18|6786|North Lauderdale, FL
Air-to-Air missiles while dogfighting really need to be tweaked back a couple notches.  All that's required is to get behind an enemy jet, wait for their flares, and release your missiles.  Instant kill regardless of any manuever the pilot tries.  It doesn't even matter what angle/velocity the bogey is flying.  The missiles will make complete 180's to meet their target...  EVERYTIME. 

blah.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6788|Singapore

You don't even have to wait for teh flares. Just shoot. Instant kill.
dracul
+2|6807
Never had that happen, but then I only have 6.5 hours and a 4:1 k/d ratio with AA (and no, don't just sit up on a hill and shoot at spawning infantry),
Congrats sparky, I have 45 hours of aviator and over 2000 kills.

Ground aa was meat before patch. A non-factor for anything other than infantry asking to be killed by any jet pilot with a clue.

It was a ground-target that lit up the vehicle indicator, could not dodge ,and offered no armor protection.
It was barely a nuisance to helicopter pilots. Your hand waving and exclamations to the contrary does not fool anyone.

Jet pilots would routinely win head-on-shootouts with the guns on the essex. ground AA that was massively more effective than the arse-in-the-wind SAM's.

Prior to patch it was easy to get 50, 60 to 1 ( or zero ) k/d ratios by repeatedly bombing spawn points on maps like wake.
ChibiAlpha
+0|6650
While I'm all for better locks since it helps a bit and it kills the chance of having your missiles pull a sharp turn and go for your team's BH instead, once they're in the air, they seem to be a bit ridiculous. 

Watching AA missiles overshoot or shoot off at obtuse angles, then pull 180 flips to go after a plane regardless of the level of manuevers makes it AAing completely trivial in my opinion.  I've been watching TV while using an AA station and have taken down about a half-dozen planes. 

I remember when it actually took some degree of aptitude to get the AA badge.
jjrp02
+18|6646|Baton Rouge, LA, USA
they do tend to "juke" at pretty rediculous angles...

I was looking at the UAV once..and a dogfight crossed by and I swear I saw the missle trail looked like 2 year old took a crayon to my screen
General_Anabolic
+0|6769|Washington, USA
I was all for improving the AA since it was almost useless before but these new tweaks are way overboard.  This patch pretty much eliminated jets and helis from the game.  I play battlefield for infantry, vehicle, and air combat.  Now 1/3 of the game is eliminated.  If AA is locked on you now you might as well just bail since its all but impossible to lose.  Actually the SAMs are not even the real problem, though they are a bit overboard, its the jet air to air missles.  Any moron now can just get behind a jet and get free kills without even earning them.  I got a feeling EA will release a new patch 1.21 soon to rebalance this and some other issues that have swung too far the other direction.
Hyper
Banned
+154|6750
i was and am all for making the AA better.
previous versions were a joke and it was nothing to even think about let alone fear, but the adjustments made are way over the top.
today i saw a missile fired from the essex miss its target due to flares and turn 180 degrees and kill a chopper that was flying over the island.
its not even close to a good thing. it now takes no skill and no thought to shoot down anything in the air and there is not alot even the best pilots can do about it.
shrugs....

Last edited by Hyper (2006-02-14 23:41:06)

|60|Cobalt
Terror in the Skies
+30|6751|Leipzig/Germany
thank god i did not patch yesterday but instead played wake on some unpatched servers - i had 600 frags and 14 gold stars all in a jet
i guess this times are over
well back to tank whoring in karkand

ea overeacted - lets hope they undo it in the next patch as air vehicles are completly useless now

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard