11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5259|Cleveland, Ohio
Not much to this OP tbh but can someone explain the difference between a cult and a religion?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6492
one is considered 'okay' and the other, for arbitrary reasons, is not.

also one brainwashes millions whilst the other is more modest and sticks to a close-knit bunch.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
11 Bravo
Banned
so a religion is the fortune 500 if cults?
rdx-fx
+955|6613
Gotta have a Holy Book on the bestseller list.

And a dead prophet.  Preferably a dead prophet that gave a shout-out to the other dead prophets like they were his homies.
(See Abraham, Jesus, Mohammed, and that one Mormon dude)
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5607

from a google search wrote:

A cult is usually defined as a "a religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader", is also often considered as a "obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing". It is also characterized for being "young in years of existence" and having usually "only relatively few followers".

A religion in change is defined as a "personal or institutionalized system grounded in the belief, worship and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe". It also has a "set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader". Religions are usually "ancient or very old in years" and have "millions of followers".

Therefore, a religion is not necessarily a cult, but a cult is always a religion. Being a cult a religion usually characterized by radicalism, oddness, obsession, short number of years, small number of followers and guidance by a founder who almost all the times tend to be authoritarian. Another particularity is that in cults, you found that in many cases the cult-followers worship the founder as God himself.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6128|eXtreme to the maX
Religions are about the worship of long dead people, the study of their thoughts and ideas - however ridiculous - and transfer of money and power to their priests.

Cults are about the worship of living or very recently deceased people, the study of their thoughts and ideas - however ridiculous - and transfer of money and power to them, their relatives and occasionally their priests if they have any.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
11 Bravo
Banned
but didnt people follow said dead person before they died?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

11 Bravo wrote:

They were cults at that point.

Its like the difference between an icon, eg Lady Gaga, and a timeless legend, eg Marilyn Monroe.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-09-06 00:24:28)

11 Bravo
Banned

Dilbert_X wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

They were cults at that point.
i see
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5607

Last I checked Hindu's don't worship any one person.
11 Bravo
Banned
so basically its too late to start another popular religion because of evolution?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

11 Bravo wrote:

so basically its too late to start another popular religion because of evolution?
No its easy, just find a dead person with apparent supernatural powers to worship.
They don't even need to have existed for certain, I'd pick Darth Vader.

Evolution and intelligence are not factors with religion.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-09-06 00:27:24)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6492

11 Bravo wrote:

new religions are made all the time-- they need their own 'theology', which is academic talk for 'back-story' and 'filler'.

e.g. thelema, the occult religion made by smart-man aleister crowley.

all good religions, like thelema, borrow heavily from past spiritual tradition; you have to pay your dues to the classics, sorta thing.

throw in a few veiled references to ancient greece/egypt, wear dark robes and charge $25 per seat at your local temple... and bada-bing!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

new religions are made all the time-- they need their own 'theology', which is academic talk for 'back-story' and 'filler'.

e.g. thelema, the occult religion made by smart-man aleister crowley.

all good religions, like thelema, borrow heavily from past spiritual tradition; you have to pay your dues to the classics, sorta thing.

throw in a few veiled references to ancient greece/egypt, wear dark robes and charge $25 per seat at your local temple... and bada-bing!
Midnight outdoor nakedness is the clincher.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6492
+ lots and lots and lots of acid, especially circa 1950-1970.

acid was definitely the foundation stone of many spiritualist beliefs back then. yummy.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6794|PNW

Billy-Bob's Okanagan Waffle House vs IHOP. Oh...wait, I thought I was still in that EE church thread...
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6832|Nårvei

Like Manson you just have to make people believe you are Jesus and poof you have a sect or cult or whatever ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6492

Varegg wrote:

Like Manson you just have to make people believe you are Jesus and poof you have a sect or cult or whatever ...
jesus christ was a biblical era manson. the only difference is that people were stupider and more impressionable then.
Varegg
+2,206|6832|Nårvei

Uzique wrote:

Varegg wrote:

jesus christ was a biblical era manson. the only difference is that people were stupider and more impressionable then.
I'm not so sure about that ... there are quite a good portion of stupid people around today ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6492
people are far more skeptical nowadays - suspicious and critical of everything, self-interested to the maximum.

back then i reckon the 'common masses' were far less educated, in a general sense, and so thus far less suspect of 'miracles' and the like.
Varegg
+2,206|6832|Nårvei

Uzique wrote:

people are far more skeptical nowadays - suspicious and critical of everything, self-interested to the maximum.

back then i reckon the 'common masses' were far less educated, in a general sense, and so thus far less suspect of 'miracles' and the like.
That may be but I don't think they where generally more stupid then as an average as opposed to now ...
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6492
so you're saying that biblical-era slaves, feudal-era peasants and modern-day people are all equally 'aware' and 'educated'?

sorry, im going to have to disagree.

when people cannot even read, write or develop basic skills of analysis and/or critical thought... they're dumber.
Varegg
+2,206|6832|Nårvei

Hm ... that was not what I said ...

I said I don't believe people then was more stupid for their time than stupid people are on average today ... I would actually claim for people to join a sect or cult today you have to be more stupid than 2000 years ago ...

A lack of education doesn't default being stupid, that stupid people in general lacks education is a totally different matter ... linked yes but not true by default ...
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6492
there's no difference between the small batshit insane cults we have today and the multitude of small batshit cults they had back then.

the only difference is that a few of them hit the bigtime and became institutionalized with political-favour and, in turn, power.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6797|Moscow, Russia
scientology is pretty modern and is doing fine. there's still enough idiots on earth.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard