Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6475

jord wrote:

BN wrote:

jord wrote:

Criminals aren't dumb as dog shit, some are more intelligent than the officers interogating them. Underestimating people is your first step downhill.
Underestimating crooks? You have to be kidding.

I deal with the same pieces of shit every day and they are nowhere near smart.
I don't understand the term "Crooks", is that like petty crime? GBH/ABH/Theft/Affray/etc?

Criminals that make money in a strictly business sense, can be very intelligent.
dude GBH is not a petty crime. nor is (aggravated) theft. you can get life for GBH s.18

american "crooks" sound dumb, but then again so are the law enforcement's methods of dealing with them...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6110|eXtreme to the maX

BN wrote:

I've known a lot of plod, its rare to find a smart one.
They think they're smart but they aren't.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6475

Dilbert_X wrote:

BN wrote:

I've known a lot of plod, its rare to find a smart one.
They think they're smart but they aren't.
it's all to do with the psychology of being in positions of authority-- the motivations for reaching that status and the implications of having it.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
'Being a detective needs smarts, i r an detective, i r must have smarts'
'i r smart, i say who goes to prizun'
Giving dim people power, autonomy and authority is very dangerous, a good example being the average Police Force.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-09-05 18:18:42)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6475
motherfuckaz kept me locked up for a weekend and i was innocents
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6772

jord wrote:

BN wrote:

jord wrote:

I don't understand the term "Crooks", is that like petty crime? GBH/ABH/Theft/Affray/etc?

Criminals that make money in a strictly business sense, can be very intelligent.
Sorry, the crooks I deal with on a regular basis.

druggies, robbers, thieves, wife beaters, shop lifters, drunks. We see the same people most of the time. 80% of our time is taken up by the same 20% of the population.

Very few people have a successful career in crime here. There are 2 types; your deadshit who never has money and is drugfucked. And your "higher end crook"; they make lots of money but for short periods as they tend to get killed over stupid matters.
I don't know how you can presume very few people have a successful criminal career, surely the ones that do are never caught and never accounted for...
That's assuming criminal business is someones only form of income. I know a few people that have an indoor cultivation setup that earns them £5000 every 3 months on top of their legal income. 2 of them have done it for 25 years, it's not terribly difficult.
"I don't know how you can presume" Cos I work in Law Enforcement, I am in contact with the local intelligence agencies, I talk to crooks. That's how I presume!

We know who's in our patch and we who's doing what. Even the dealers who think they are "flying under the radar and haven't been noticed" are noticed.

Example of stupidity; 6 months ago on foot patrol down back alleyway. I see man in car cooking up heroin. I walk up and say "put that spoon down on the dashboard carefully and step out of the car". All he has to do is tip the heroin out of the spoon and I have no evidence. But,like a dumb-ass, he carefully put the spoon full of heroin on the dash and gives me my evidence for a conviction.

Example 2; running a breath testing operation. Randomly select driver and he pulls in. He winds down his window and says "I don't know how you do it, but you always seem to get me". He pops the boot of his car and shows me 2kgs of skunk. I'm almost laughing at his stupidity.

The more stupid they are, the easier my job gets.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6475
those must be supremely stupid examples because i know people that have dealt reasonably-large amounts of street cocaine and other drugs for months in a VERY open fashion (university campus, open mobile-phone communication, open use at parties/events) and have never even been close to getting caught. when i went to the police station locally, in the interview the officer asked me "so what's the deal up there [the uni is on top of a big hill] with this stuff? [cocaine, mainly] we're always bringing in kids from your uni that have it in their possession when they're out clubbing in nearby towns". to which i just replied "lots of rich kids with lots of money and lots of time having lots of fun", and smiled. 3 months later one of my best friends was driving a new convertible and there wasn't even a sign of the police on campus, at any point, ever. this is dumb students playing at games that are in deep, dangerous waters, here... not organized crime, and far from the 'drugs underworld'.

so, i guess if you can generalise and say that all crooks are dumb - i can generalise and say all cops are incompetent!

Last edited by Uzique (2010-09-06 01:08:16)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I know of a Chief Superintendent who forgot to caution someone at the appropriate moment and so had most of his evidence thrown out of court.
He turned purple.

I also saw an Assistant Chief Constable state in open court he didn't believe the Police and Criminal Evidence Act was really all that relevant to policing.
jord
+2,382|6682|The North, beyond the wall.

BN wrote:

jord wrote:

BN wrote:

Sorry, the crooks I deal with on a regular basis.

druggies, robbers, thieves, wife beaters, shop lifters, drunks. We see the same people most of the time. 80% of our time is taken up by the same 20% of the population.

Very few people have a successful career in crime here. There are 2 types; your deadshit who never has money and is drugfucked. And your "higher end crook"; they make lots of money but for short periods as they tend to get killed over stupid matters.
I don't know how you can presume very few people have a successful criminal career, surely the ones that do are never caught and never accounted for...
That's assuming criminal business is someones only form of income. I know a few people that have an indoor cultivation setup that earns them £5000 every 3 months on top of their legal income. 2 of them have done it for 25 years, it's not terribly difficult.
"I don't know how you can presume" Cos I work in Law Enforcement, I am in contact with the local intelligence agencies, I talk to crooks. That's how I presume!

We know who's in our patch and we who's doing what. Even the dealers who think they are "flying under the radar and haven't been noticed" are noticed.

Example of stupidity; 6 months ago on foot patrol down back alleyway. I see man in car cooking up heroin. I walk up and say "put that spoon down on the dashboard carefully and step out of the car". All he has to do is tip the heroin out of the spoon and I have no evidence. But,like a dumb-ass, he carefully put the spoon full of heroin on the dash and gives me my evidence for a conviction.

Example 2; running a breath testing operation. Randomly select driver and he pulls in. He winds down his window and says "I don't know how you do it, but you always seem to get me". He pops the boot of his car and shows me 2kgs of skunk. I'm almost laughing at his stupidity.

The more stupid they are, the easier my job gets.
No I know you're in law enforcment. My point still stands, you're not going to have accurate statistics on the amount of successful criminals because the ones that aren't caught aren't going to be on file.

For every "example 2" there's a lot more that aren't morons and that do get away with it. You'll just never know.

example 1 isn't the stupidiest thing I've heard either. How was he supposed to know tipping it out of the spoon meant there was no evidence? Id assume you'd just use the heroin on the floor an evidence along with your police officers statment, which trumps any statment a civilian can make.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6720
cops in taiwan won't bother white people unless it's something srs like drugs and big fights. cops wont arrest you for drunk driving here and they don't patrol after 2am.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
jord
+2,382|6682|The North, beyond the wall.

Uzique wrote:

jord wrote:

BN wrote:

dude GBH is not a petty crime. nor is (aggravated) theft. you can get life for GBH s.18

american "crooks" sound dumb, but then again so are the law enforcement's methods of dealing with them...
I don't know why I put GBH.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6475
i think you just generally meant crimes of a corporeal nature that have a real, tangible result... as opposed to corporate/financial crime.

you basically listed offences against the person / offences against property in contrast with things like fraud: 'victimless crimes'.

GBH (s18) however is right up there with murder when it comes to legal definition, court procedure and sentencing.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard