Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

A whining New Jersey woman's gripe that her precious sports car was destroyed by a suicidal man's 40-story fall triggered a venomous outpouring from his friends, neighbors and fellow New Yorkers yesterday.

"The damage to the car -- it saved his life, and that's what you should care about, not your car!" fumed Alyssa Laib, 23, whose friend, Tom Magill, 22, survived the plunge Tuesday from a West End Avenue rooftop when he crash-landed onto Maria McCormack's 2008 Dodge Charger.

"I was angry at first" about McCormack's remarks, "but some people just think materialistically."

McCormack complained that the muscle car -- her "baby" -- was just repaired and fueled up when it was crushed by the falling man. She questioned whether Magill feels "like an idiot" and why it had to be her car instead of the countless others parked in Manhattan that day.

Ali Watts, 24, a Fordham classmate of Magill, was furious over McCormack's attitude.

"I think it's unfortunate that someone would value a material object over someone's life," she said, adding that her pal needed "positive thoughts" as he faced a long recovery.

Another Fordham friend e-mailed The Post that it was "unsettling her main concern is the loss of a $14,000 car."

"I truly hope she steps back and realizes how foolish it is to prize a vehicle over a human life," the friend wrote.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manh … c25gUUxmeN
I read this in the NY post this morning. This angered me along with the fact they put American cheese on my sandwich instead of Swiss like I asked.

I'm with Maria McCormack 100% percent. If some asshole I didn't know tried offing himself by jumping and landed on my M3, I would be fucking pissed off. I don't see where she has to be considerate to the guy or his family. If anything the guy owes her an apology for wrecking her Charger in a failed suicide attempt.

Now if a person had been pushed or had fallen by accident and my car saved their life, I wouldn't mind. I could totally live with that since the person didn't mean to fall.

I don't understand why anyone feels that she is in the wrong for caring more about her property than some suicidal jackass. Fuck Tom Magill, fuck his family, and fuck his friends. He would be fine if it wasn't for his stupid ass actions.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6423|The Twilight Zone
the car is insured no?
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

.Sup wrote:

the car is insured no?
They only give you the current value of the car. So if your car is a classic, rare find, or good deal/lucky purchase. You're FUCKED.
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
I kinda agree, other than the "suicidal jackass" remark.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina
Well, for starters...  a 2008 Dodge Charger is not a muscle car unless you get the SRT8 model.

This...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/1969_GTO_Judge.jpg

is truly a muscle car.

That being said, while I intrinsically value human life over a car....  a suicidal person is sometimes hard to sympathize with.

I'd have to know more about why this guy was attempting suicide before really being able to sympathize with him.  My first reaction would be...  "Goddamn idiot smashed my car."
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Turquoise wrote:

Well, for starters...  a 2008 Dodge Charger is not a muscle car unless you get the SRT8 model.

This...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … _Judge.jpg

is truly a muscle car.

That being said, while I intrinsically value human life over a car....  a suicidal person is sometimes hard to sympathize with.

I'd have to know more about why this guy was attempting suicide before really being able to sympathize with him.  My first reaction would be...  "Goddamn idiot smashed my car."
yeah your car that you just got fixed. id be pretty pissed to.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Turquoise wrote:

This...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … _Judge.jpg

is truly a muscle car.

I'm pretty certain it needs a V8 in order to be a Muscle car otherwise if it has a V6 it's a pony car. I could be wrong though.
jord
I don't really agree or abide by the lesser, more pointless rules. However I do think using descriptive thread titles is logical.

If I were to commit suicide id do it in a way that affects the least amount of people possible, to the extent of not letting my mother see my corpse.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6336|California
it's a fucking 2008 dodge charger thats nothing stupid bitch
tuckergustav
+1,590|5884|...

I have to admit...I would be angry about the jumper as well.  I don't know that I would run around making statements to the press about it though(out of sympathy for the guy's family and friends).

Suicide is so selfish.  The person attempting the act is thinking of nobody but themselves...putting the lives and property of others in harms way.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

I'd be pissed, but I'm not going to be a cunt to his friends, family or the media about it.
jord

tuckergustav wrote:

I have to admit...I would be angry about the jumper as well.  I don't know that I would run around making statements to the press about it though(out of sympathy for the guy's family and friends).

Suicide is so selfish.  The person attempting the act is thinking of nobody but themselves...putting the lives and property of others in harms way.
Suicide isn't selfish, that's a generalisation if ever I heard one. Ill tell you what is selfish, making someone who doesn't want to live, for whatever reason, continue to exist for yourself.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

jord wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

Suicide isn't selfish, that's a generalisation if ever I heard one. Ill tell you what is selfish, making someone who doesn't want to live, for whatever reason, continue to exist for yourself.
To be fair, if you have kids that rely on you then yes it's selfish otherwise, go for it.
jord

Macbeth wrote:

jord wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

To be fair, if you have kids that rely on you then yes it's selfish otherwise, go for it.
Yes.

And if you have MS and are in pain every single day and want to end your life its not selfish. Like I said, generalisations.
Turquoise
O Canada

jord wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

It depends.

If you're physically healthy and have a family and friends that love you, then suicide is selfish.

If you're deathly sick and suffering, then suicide is understandable.

EDIT: damn it...  I guess this is a redundant post now...

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-09-03 15:35:07)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Turquoise wrote:

jord wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

It depends.

If you're physically healthy and have a family and friends that love you, then suicide is selfish.

Most people who commit suicide have a lot of serious mental and sometimes physical shit going on.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
jord

Turquoise wrote:

jord wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

It depends.

Even if you're physically healthy you can still be mentally unhealthy.

Unless you have dependants, then its nobody elses business if you wish to commit suicide. Though its a whole differant topic.
Turquoise
O Canada

Cybargs wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

jord wrote:

It depends.

Most people who commit suicide have a lot of serious mental and sometimes physical shit going on.
Mental is more common.  Mental problems may be overwhelming at times, but there are medications and therapy that can be used to improve your situation.

Physically, things can often be more dire.
tuckergustav
+1,590|5884|...

jord wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

Are you implying that I would force someone to exist?...Hey, you want to off yourself? Go ahead...just don't do it in such a way that would put the lives or property of others at risk(ie parking on a train track) and don't get all upset that I don't feel a need to coddle you if you fail at your attempt...
Turquoise
O Canada

jord wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

jord wrote:

It depends.

Unless you have dependants, then its nobody elses business if you wish to commit suicide. Though its a whole differant topic.
I'll put it this way, I support the legalization of euthanasia and the right to privacy.
Turquoise
O Canada

tuckergustav wrote:

jord wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

Are you implying that I would force someone to exist?...Hey, you want to off yourself? Go ahead...just don't do it in such a way that would put the lives or property of others at risk(ie parking on a train track) and don't get all upset that I don't feel a need to coddle you if you fail at your attempt...
I think he may be making a reference to euthanasia.
tuckergustav
+1,590|5884|...

Turquoise wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

jord wrote:

I think he may be making a reference to euthanasia.
I figured. I was just wondering if he gathered that from something that I said.
jord
I

tuckergustav wrote:

jord wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

I worded it wrong, I didn't mean "yourself", I was speaking in general terms. I know nothing about you to assume your stance.

To rephrase, people who guilt someone who wishes to commit suicide into continuing to exist are selfish.
jord

Turquoise wrote:

jord wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

It depends.

I'll put it this way, I support the legalization of euthanasia and the right to privacy.
I support the right to assisted suicide. Some people in pain don't have the means to off themselves and have a willing partner that would help them end their life but for the law.

Personally euthanasia clinics are never an option, its what £6000? I'd sooner off myself and give the money to funeral costs/charity.

Last edited by jord (2010-09-03 15:47:15)

Ticia
+73|5305

Macbeth wrote:

A whining New Jersey woman's gripe that her precious sports car was destroyed by a suicidal man's 40-story fall triggered a venomous outpouring from his friends, neighbors and fellow New Yorkers yesterday.

"The damage to the car -- it saved his life, and that's what you should care about, not your car!" fumed Alyssa Laib, 23, whose friend, Tom Magill, 22, survived the plunge Tuesday from a West End Avenue rooftop when he crash-landed onto Maria McCormack's 2008 Dodge Charger.

"I was angry at first" about McCormack's remarks, "but some people just think materialistically."

McCormack complained that the muscle car -- her "baby" -- was just repaired and fueled up when it was crushed by the falling man. She questioned whether Magill feels "like an idiot" and why it had to be her car instead of the countless others parked in Manhattan that day.

Ali Watts, 24, a Fordham classmate of Magill, was furious over McCormack's attitude.

"I think it's unfortunate that someone would value a material object over someone's life," she said, adding that her pal needed "positive thoughts" as he faced a long recovery.

Another Fordham friend e-mailed The Post that it was "unsettling her main concern is the loss of a $14,000 car."

"I truly hope she steps back and realizes how foolish it is to prize a vehicle over a human life," the friend wrote.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manh … c25gUUxmeN
I read this in the NY post this morning. This angered me along with the fact they put American cheese on my sandwich instead of Swiss like I asked.

I'm with Maria McCormack 100% percent. If some asshole I didn't know tried offing himself by jumping and landed on my M3, I would be fucking pissed off. I don't see where she has to be considerate to the guy or his family. If anything the guy owes her an apology for wrecking her Charger in a failed suicide attempt.

Now if a person had been pushed or had fallen by accident and my car saved their life, I wouldn't mind. I could totally live with that since the person didn't mean to fall.

I don't understand why anyone feels that she is in the wrong for caring more about her property than some suicidal jackass. Fuck Tom Magill, fuck his family, and fuck his friends. He would be fine if it wasn't for his stupid ass actions.
He'll probably end up paying for the damage.
The owner sounds like a heartless moron though. She indirectly saved a life...i guess that's worthless for some.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard