Reciprocity
+721|6581|the dank(super) side of Oregon
It's just funny that the people at Fox News were so eager to connect this "ground zero mosque" to terrorism and extremists that they implicated a major shareholder of the company they work for.  So the question was posed; are they that stupid or that evil?

Last edited by Reciprocity (2010-09-01 21:01:00)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

Reciprocity wrote:

It's just funny that the people at Fox News were so eager to connect this "ground zero mosque" to terrorism and extremists that they implicated a major shareholder of the company they work for.  So the question was posed; are they that stupid or that evil?
I'd say neither. There's normally a serious disconnect between a parent corporation and its subsidiaries, especially in one as large as News Corp.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I think you're reading too much into it. Fox has been producing wild story after wild story for the past year and a half while doing everything possible to condemn Obama and make him look bad. There have probably been a thousand attacks made and this one happened to be the one that stuck and struck a chord with people. They've been pounding away on that knee trying to get a reaction and finally hit the right spot with the average American. Not exactly a conspiracy.
I'm not suggesting the Prince came up with the idea all by himself, but I'm sure he's seen the profit to be made.  The only conspiratorial angle I see in this is that he's probably using his influence to keep Fox from mentioning him by name, even though they've already mentioned his charity behind the community center.
I don't see why that's an issue at all. Why should his name be dragged through the mud simply because a bunch of people overreacted to something they were led to believe was bigger, closer and more relevant than what it actually is. We've had enough witch hunts in our legal history based on populist anger. Anything to mitigate further abuse is fine by me.
I don't think it's that though...   It seems more like a deliberate use of controversy for profit in an exceptionally ironic way.

It seems odd to me that you would gloss over this sort of thing in the business world, but you usually are much more reactionary about it in government.
Reciprocity
+721|6581|the dank(super) side of Oregon
They insinuate that this person is linked to terrorist organizations and they don't know he's the 2nd largest shareholder of newscorp?  They are that stupid.
Turquoise
O Canada

Reciprocity wrote:

They insinuate that this person is linked to terrorist organizations and they don't know he's the 2nd largest shareholder of newscorp?  They are that stupid.
...quite possibly....
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I'm not suggesting the Prince came up with the idea all by himself, but I'm sure he's seen the profit to be made.  The only conspiratorial angle I see in this is that he's probably using his influence to keep Fox from mentioning him by name, even though they've already mentioned his charity behind the community center.
I don't see why that's an issue at all. Why should his name be dragged through the mud simply because a bunch of people overreacted to something they were led to believe was bigger, closer and more relevant than what it actually is. We've had enough witch hunts in our legal history based on populist anger. Anything to mitigate further abuse is fine by me.
I don't think it's that though...   It seems more like a deliberate use of controversy for profit in an exceptionally ironic way.

It seems odd to me that you would gloss over this sort of thing in the business world, but you usually are much more reactionary about it in government.
Because I think it's a serious stretch to assume that the guy funded the mosque to boost Fox's ratings and thereby profit?

Even if that were the case there's nothing illegal about it. Look at our celebrities that profit off of negative PR as much as they do the positive. They hire people to create stories for them all the time.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-09-01 21:22:28)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Because I think it's a serious stretch to assume that the guy funded the mosque to boost Fox's ratings and thereby profit?

Even if that were the case there's nothing illegal about it. Look at our celebrities that profit off of negative PR as much as they do the positive. They hire people to create stories for them all the time
No, that's not what I'm saying...  I'm saying that he's probably figured out that having Fox harp on this controversy will make him more money through higher ratings.

He probably funded the mosque expecting some controversy, but when Fox and several other sources decided to really stir the pot, he realized...  wow...  this may actually work to my advantage even though I helped create this controversy in the first place.

Although this is different from the celebrities thing, because it ends up causing problems for all Muslims in the area.

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-09-01 21:24:40)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

No, that's not what I'm saying...  I'm saying that he's probably figured out that having Fox harp on this controversy will make him more money through higher ratings.

He probably funded the mosque expecting some controversy, but when Fox and several other sources decided to really stir the pot, he realized...  wow...  this may actually work to my advantage even though I helped create this controversy in the first place.
Read my edit: celebrities do that type of thing every day of the week. There's nothing illegal about that even if it were true.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
There's nothing illegal....

but as my edit shows...   this particular controversy has consequences that extend well beyond just him.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

but as my edit shows...   this particular controversy has consequences that extend well beyond just him.
Who cares? You've already stretched the issue well beyond the point of reason and now you want me to worry about what if's too?
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Who cares? You've already stretched the issue well beyond the point of reason and now you want me to worry about what if's too?
No need to get defensive....  lol
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I'm not getting defensive at all. You're just well into ATG conspiracy territory here
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I'm not getting defensive at all. You're just well into ATG conspiracy territory here
No more than when you assume that all things government related are evil.... 
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

No more than when you assume that all things government related are evil.... 
Seriously, read the book that I just finished. Paints a nice picture of the government causing the S&L scandal from the late 80s and then scapegoating everyone that it could to take the blame off itself. Kind of like what they've been doing to Goldman and the derivatives market following the 2007 crash...
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique wrote:

identify a consumer-trend --> american right-wing xenophobia, terrorism paranoia, racism/bigotry

invest in american right-wing television station after recent terrorist attacks/conflict in middle east

???

PROFIT
They've also managed to divert anger from 9/11 to everyone but Saudi muslims and particularly onto their personal enemies.
Iran, who offered to help the US with AQ, are at the top of the list of evil-doers, the Saudis are the US number one ally

Nice work Fox.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-09-01 21:43:06)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique wrote:

identify a consumer-trend --> american right-wing xenophobia, terrorism paranoia, racism/bigotry

invest in american right-wing television station after recent terrorist attacks/conflict in middle east

???

PROFIT
They've also managed to divert anger from 9/11 to everyone but Saudi muslims and particularly onto their personal enemies.
Iran, who offered to help the US with AQ, are at the top of the list of evil-doers.
I wasn't aware that News Corp owns the entirety of American media.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
Find me a Fox News fan, or any American, who thinks Iran is awesome and we should be bombing the Saudis.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Find me a Fox News fan, or any American, who thinks Iran is awesome and we should be bombing the Saudis.
Well, let's see. Saudi Arabia never took hostages. Saudi citizens did mastermind 9/11, but that wasn't the state. Saudi Arabia never had a western style democracy, Iran did. There are far more citizens of Iranian birth living in the US than Saudi-born. Oh, and Saudi Arabia has oil, and we defended them from Saddam in 1991. So, while we've had a historically acrimonious relationship with Iran, the same can't be said for Saudi Arabia.

Thanks for trying to tell me how I should think though.
-Frederick Bastiat
Ticia
+73|5335

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Well, let's see. Saudi Arabia never took hostages. Saudi citizens did mastermind 9/11, but that wasn't the state. Saudi Arabia never had a western style democracy, Iran did. There are far more citizens of Iranian birth living in the US than Saudi-born. Oh, and Saudi Arabia has oil, and we defended them from Saddam in 1991. So, while we've had a historically acrimonious relationship with Iran, the same can't be said for Saudi Arabia.

When Saudi Arabia abuses human rights constantly, has no real democratic freedoms and denies women their basic rights exactly like the Taliban regime… it is inconsistent and hypocritical.
No one is asking the US to leave Afghanistan and attack the Saudis but this chummy behaviour only cripples your image worldwide.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Ticia wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

When Saudi Arabia abuses human rights constantly, has no real democratic freedoms and denies women their basic rights exactly like the Taliban regime… it is inconsistent and hypocritical.
No one is asking the US to leave Afghanistan and attack the Saudis but this chummy behaviour only cripples your image worldwide.
best just to stay out of people's business. until they try to kill you that is.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5237|Cleveland, Ohio

Ticia wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

and what do euro countries do to saudis to right those injustices?

go ahead ill wait
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ticia wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

It's not our job to police the world and fix all the injustices that abound. If Saudi's want to remove the theocracy then they should rebel, topple their government, and install a new one. Until then? Not my problem.
-Frederick Bastiat
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5237|Cleveland, Ohio

Dilbert_X wrote:

i dont know anyone personally who thinks either is awesome.

thanks for trolling and have a wonderful day.
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Ticia wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

It's not our job to police the world and fix all the injustices that abound. If Saudi's want to remove the theocracy then they should rebel, topple their government, and install a new one. Until then? Not my problem.
I think Ticia is mostly just pointing out how our interventionism has nothing to do with spreading democracy and everything to do with economics.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Ticia wrote:

I think Ticia is mostly just pointing out how our interventionism has nothing to do with spreading democracy and everything to do with economics.
Duh. You can't make people free over the barrel of a gun.
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard