Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6696|Canberra, AUS
Yeah, I really am astonished. Not something I thought I would see.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
rdx-fx
+955|6613

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Firstly, did I miss the memo when the Taliban were terrorists?
Google "Taliban Atrocity"
The video of a brainwashed 12 year old Taliban child beheading an 'infidel' seems to be popular in some circles.

They 'ruled' by fear, hence the 'Terrorist' moniker.

Things like genocide, stoning women to death, honor killings, acid on faces, cutting off noses, burning people alive, hypocritically growing drugs for sale to fuel their religious theocracy.

They did not rule through popular mandate, they did not believe in freedom of speech, equality, equitable treatment.
No, they were of the mind 'believe as I believe, or live in fear of my wrath'
There was no respectful standoff between differing factions - there was their rule, or damnation.

They were a scourge on the people they dominated.
Most simply put, they were Terrorists of the truest sense.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5380|London, England

rdx-fx wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

The video of a brainwashed 12 year old Taliban child beheading an 'infidel' seems to be popular in some circles.

Things like genocide, stoning women to death, honor killings, acid on faces, cutting off noses, burning people alive, hypocritically growing drugs for sale to fuel their religious theocracy.

They did not rule through popular mandate, they did not believe in freedom of speech, equality, equitable treatment.
There was no respectful standoff between differing factions - there was their rule, or damnation.

They weren't terrorists. They were simply religious extremists. End result is the same. That word is thrown around far too often now. Was Henry VIII a terrorist because he chopped off his wives heads? Were absolute monarchs terrorists? Seriously, stupid term that really has no meaning anymore.

Is the US government a terrorist organization because it exacts tribute on pain of prison? Some would say yes.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-08-29 21:51:56)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6613

JohnG@lt wrote:

Whodathunkit. People that swore to defend the Constitution actually believe in freedom of speech while the one that didn't would happily piss on it.
QFE

"Freedom has a taste, and for those who have fought for it, the taste is so sweet the protected will never know ..." - General George S. Patton
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

rdx-fx wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Whodathunkit. People that swore to defend the Constitution actually believe in freedom of speech while the one that didn't would happily piss on it.
QFE

"Freedom has a taste, and for those who have fought for it, the taste is so sweet the protected will never know ..." - General George S. Patton
I think it has more to do with having been in a situation where we had no rights. Freedom tastes sweet when you've had your every waking moment scheduled out for you by someone else and to speak out results in punishment.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5200|Sydney
Wow John, I thought I shared quite different views than you but everything of yours I've read in the past couple weeks I'm in complete agreeance. The point made about freedom of speech is of particular note.
rdx-fx
+955|6613

JohnG@lt wrote:

They weren't terrorists. They were simply religious extremists. End result is the same. That word is thrown around far too often now. Was Henry VIII a terrorist because he chopped off his wives heads? Were absolute monarchs terrorists? Seriously, stupid term that really has no meaning anymore.

Is the US government a terrorist organization because it exacts tribute on pain of prison? Some would say yes.
Yes, I agree the word terrorist is thrown about so freely it has lost most meaning.  Like Hero, or Tragedy.

Though, in this case, I'm using it in line with a proper definition;
Terrorism - the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear
Princeton WordNet for a quick bit of GoogleFu for an articulate definition.

Henry VIII wasn't chopping off wives heads in a calculated bid to instill fear in English womenfolk.  No, he was done with that woman and wanted a new one.  Evil, nasty, brutish behavior - but not 'calculated' to strike fear into the English womenfolk.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5281|foggy bottom
I think thats the last of harmor we've seen in this thread
Tu Stultus Es
rdx-fx
+955|6613

JohnG@lt wrote:

I think it has more to do with having been in a situation where we had no rights. Freedom tastes sweet when you've had your every waking moment scheduled out for you by someone else and to speak out results in punishment.
That, and having seen a bit of what a world without those values looks like, and the truism 'A thing earned is more valued than a thing given'
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

rdx-fx wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Yes, I agree the word terrorist is thrown about so freely it has lost most meaning.  Like Hero, or Tragedy.

Though, in this case, I'm using it in line with a proper definition;
Terrorism - the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear
Princeton WordNet for a quick bit of GoogleFu for an articulate definition.

Henry VIII wasn't chopping off wives heads in a calculated bid to instill fear in English womenfolk.  No, he was done with that woman and wanted a new one.  Evil, nasty, brutish behavior - but not 'calculated' to strike fear into the English womenfolk.
There are still a million examples from history where instilling fear was the desired goal. Queen Mary comes to mind, and that was about religion as well.

Was the Christian faith run by terrorists when it was burning pagans and heretics at the stake? Was Pope Urban a terrorist when he called for the Crusades? Do we need to go back and rewrite our history books now since that is the definition now?

Whatever, it's not even the main point. The Taliban today have no real power, but they were the power in charge. We've pushed them into the role of freedom fighters. How about dem apples?
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6613

JohnG@lt wrote:

Was the Christian faith run by terrorists when it was burning pagans and heretics at the stake? Was Pope Urban a terrorist when he called for the Crusades? Do we need to go back and rewrite our history books now since that is the definition now?

Whatever, it's not even the main point. The Taliban today have no real power, but they were the power in charge. We've pushed them into the role of freedom fighters. How about dem apples?
Wouldn't take much to convince me the old Catholic church was as bad as the modern Taliban, in many ways.
Then again, I've got one friend's death I lay squarely at the feet of the Catholic Church  - so i am not exactly a member of their fan club either.

And calling them 'freedom fighters' would be ironic at best, as their belief system has absolutely nothing to do with freedom.

Edit: though much of the Taliban's history is loaded with ironic events.  Sponsored and formed from elements of our allies in the region.  Saudi and Pakistani funding, Wahabbiist Sunni in origin, mostly populated by Pashtun tribals (who are usually the more easy to deal with of the Afghanis), military training from many of the same commanders we funded in the 1970's and 1980's, etc, etc...

Last edited by rdx-fx (2010-08-29 22:21:26)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

rdx-fx wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Wouldn't take much to convince me the old Catholic church was as bad as the modern Taliban, in many ways.
Then again, I've got one friend's death I lay squarely at the feet of the Catholic Church  - so i am not exactly a member of their fan club either.

And calling them 'freedom fighters' would be ironic at best, as their belief system has absolutely nothing to do with freedom.
They still fit the bill of classical freedom fighters. The French Resistance, Russian Partisans etc. I wonder if the Germans labeled those groups terrorists in WWII because I know we glorify them in our own history books... Just take a moment and flip your perspective. The world is an interesting place when you do
-Frederick Bastiat
Reciprocity
+721|6603|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Harmor wrote:

This, to me, is not free speech, this is treasonous.  You don't, for example, have the right to yell fire in a crowded movie theater nor should should have the right to aid our enemies as they kill American citizens (or anyone in NATO), in the convoy.
recording the reality of war is treason?

Damn Harmor.  I'd call you Orwellian but you might take that as a compliment.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5281|foggy bottom
there is a difference between yelling fire in a crowded theater and recording the actions of combantants as a non participating neutral observer.  one is a part of the exhchange of information in the market place of ideas, the other is just used to create chaos.
Tu Stultus Es
rdx-fx
+955|6613

JohnG@lt wrote:

They still fit the bill of classical freedom fighters. The French Resistance, Russian Partisans etc. I wonder if the Germans labeled those groups terrorists in WWII because I know we glorify them in our own history books... Just take a moment and flip your perspective. The world is an interesting place when you do
A Partisan force perhaps.  Not a Freedom Fighter.

And I do spend a fair bit of time trying to see things from differing perspectives.

Last book I finished was Vali Nasr - The Shia Revival

Last website i was looking at was Ayatollah Sistani's

In 3+ years in the Army Engineers, I was always part of the OpFor team in field exercises (that had an OpFor component), precisely because of my knowledge of OpFor order of battle and languages. (okay, so I was MI before I was an Engineer too. There's that.)

Though I think we have wandered a bit off the OP now...
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6696|Canberra, AUS

rdx-fx wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

A Partisan force perhaps.  Not a Freedom Fighter.

And I do spend a fair bit of time trying to see things from differing perspectives.

Last book I finished was Vali Nasr - The Shia Revival

Last website i was looking at was Ayatollah Sistani's

In 3+ years in the Army Engineers, I was always part of the OpFor team in field exercises (that had an OpFor component), precisely because of my knowledge of OpFor order of battle and languages. (okay, so I was MI before I was an Engineer too. There's that.)

Though I think we have wandered a bit off the OP now...
I think that may be because the OP's assertions have well and truly been buried.

Last edited by Spark (2010-08-29 22:33:53)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
rdx-fx
+955|6613
'They've got a beautifully rich culture and storied history.  Shame we're going to have to waste 'em all 'cause they can't play well with others'
- Anon, from another nearby location in a different era. 

The exaggerated hubris of an English speaking soldier is intentional and ironic.
Another thing we inherited from our English side.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6171|'straya

rdx-fx wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

They certainly did terrorize their own populace and I'm not arguing they didn't (previous post was poor wording on my behalf), but they did not terrorize the west, so they were only the enemy once the coalition invaded... But anyway, whether or not they did terrorize the Afghan people is irrelevant to this argument. This is about a reporter documenting the Taliban's fight against the coalition, who in their minds is a legitimate enemy.

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2010-08-29 22:45:01)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

They certainly did terrorize their own populace and I'm not arguing they didn't (previous post was poor wording on my behalf), but they did not terrorize the west, so they were only the enemy once the coalition invaded... But anyway, whether or not they did terrorize the Afghan people is irrelevant to this argument. This is about a reporter documenting the Taliban's fight against the coalition, who in their minds is a legitimate enemy.
You just edited out the most important part of what you wrote
-Frederick Bastiat
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6171|'straya

JohnG@lt wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

haha oops. I don't even remember what it was
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

haha oops. I don't even remember what it was
Something about the Taliban terrorizing their own populace not qualifying them as terrorists.
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6613

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

They were heavily intertwined with Al Quaeda starting around 1996.  Taliban provided territory for Al Quaeda to headquarter and train, in return the Taliban got funding, protection, and training from Osama bin Laden.  Cozy little arrangement, up until Osama thought it a good idea to stage 9/11.

Shortly after that, the good Muslim tradition of protecting your houseguests caused the Taliban a world of grief.
We knew OBL was in Afghanistan, we asked the Taliban to hand him over, they would not. We went in after him.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6171|'straya

rdx-fx wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

They were heavily intertwined with Al Quaeda starting around 1996.  Taliban provided territory for Al Quaeda to headquarter and train, in return the Taliban got funding, protection, and training from Osama bin Laden.  Cozy little arrangement, up until Osama thought it a good idea to stage 9/11.
Sounds rather similar to America's arrangement with the current Afghan "government".
eleven bravo
+1,399|5281|foggy bottom
someone should do harmor a favor and cut off his internet
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

someone should do harmor a favor and cut off his internet
Now now, free speech, remember?
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard