Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6547|San Diego, CA, USA

Yahoo News wrote:

(Time) Government agents can sneak onto your property in the middle of the night, put a GPS device on the bottom of your car and keep track of everywhere you go
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599201315000 via http://www.michaelsavage.wnd.com/

---

Chalk another of our rights lost, the 4th Amendment, against improper search and seizure.

I equate adding a GPS unit to someone's car as the same as a wire tap on your phone or email - as long as you get a search warrant I think the government should be able to do it...but not in California apparently.

<== Trying to get my company out of this crappy state...maybe Utah or Texas.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5257|foggy bottom
Tu Stultus Es
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6403|North Carolina

eleven bravo wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_PATRIOT_Act
That's never been abused...  just ask FEOS... 
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6409|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

I don't believe I've ever said any such thing. That law, just like any other law, is prone to abuse. Because it is enacted by man and man is not perfect.

The key is in the enforcement of the mechanisms to counter such abuses, like those that already exist in Titles 18 and 50 of US Code for the PATRIOT Act. That is the part that we keep arguing about. You seem to think that the PATRIOT Act somehow throws those out the window...it does not.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Turquoise
O Canada

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

I don't believe I've ever said any such thing. That law, just like any other law, is prone to abuse. Because it is enacted by man and man is not perfect.

The key is in the enforcement of the mechanisms to counter such abuses, like those that already exist in Titles 18 and 50 of US Code for the PATRIOT Act. That is the part that we keep arguing about. You seem to think that the PATRIOT Act somehow throws those out the window...it does not.
I had been wondering where you've been...   Fair enough... 
FEOS
+1,182|6409|'Murka

RL's been kicking me in the sack for the past month or so.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
eleven bravo
+1,399|5257|foggy bottom
welcome to obamas america
Tu Stultus Es
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

Harmor wrote:

Yahoo News wrote:

(Time) Government agents can sneak onto your property in the middle of the night, put a GPS device on the bottom of your car and keep track of everywhere you go
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599201315000 via http://www.michaelsavage.wnd.com/

---

Chalk another of our rights lost, the 4th Amendment, against improper search and seizure.

I equate adding a GPS unit to someone's car as the same as a wire tap on your phone or email - as long as you get a search warrant I think the government should be able to do it...but not in California apparently.

<== Trying to get my company out of this crappy state...maybe Utah or Texas.
You mean they can do this without a warrant? As it is with a warrant they can enter your home without your knowledge. If they get a warrant I have no problem with this.
OxenBreeder
+46|5764|KTRI
Iirc, this is my first D&ST reply, so please be gentle?

I believe as American's, we have a LOT to fear from our Gov't, no doubt about it.

But if you're that paranoid, take a peek under your car from time to time, if you "see" said GPS device, simply remove it. Toss it in the fucking lake/take a sledge hammer to it for all I care... it's not like it couldn't be removed from your car, damn!

All these fuckers are gonna catch me doing, is, my sorry ass going from home, to work. From work, to home....where's the thrill in that?

Has anyone ever stopped to think about how many people would have to be hired to analyze all this "data" that our Gov't supposedly collects on us?

500, or 5,000 people hired to "spy" on us?

Hell, lets say 5,000 are hired, just to read the text messages we Americans send daily. There's no way 5,000 people could handle the text data transmitted by teens alone, on a daily basis in America, let alone spy on where I'm going/where I've been..

Track my cell phone, track my car movements, track my online activities, the list can go on and on.. But it would take MANY millions of people just to analyze the "data" of the American people alone, on a daily basis.

"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself!!"

Paranoia will destroy ya!
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6808|Nårvei

^^ But it seems so easy in the movies
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
FEOS
+1,182|6409|'Murka

OxenBreeder wrote:

Has anyone ever stopped to think about how many people would have to be hired to analyze all this "data" that our Gov't supposedly collects on us?
Well, DUH! The Illuminati have supercomputers in the basement of the Alamo they use to do the stuff.
― Albert Einstein

ghettoperson
+1,943|6647

FEOS wrote:

OxenBreeder wrote:

Well, DUH! The Illuminati have supercomputers in the basement of the Alamo they use to do the stuff.
They quite obviously do use supercomputers in order to analyse the data to send stuff of possible interest to analysts, I'm not sure what you're joking about.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6488|Gogledd Cymru

The illuminati bit I think...
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6322|Graz, Austria
I think the Illuminati have already been bought up by Google.
Prepare to soon get ads for new exhaust pipes, because they're scanning your car's underfloor with these GPS devices.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

there's a difference between some laws being misinterpreted and abused by the imperfections of man/human legal instrumentation

AND

purposefully designing a law with the aim of reducing liberties, freedoms and basic rights.

the neocons drafted up the patriot act hastily during a time of national emergency in order to effect the latter, not the former...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6563|Area 51
I think most of you do not have to worry about your car being tracked. Think this mostly applies to high profile criminals or people suspected from terrorist activities.
13rin
+977|6477
..and anyone on the Bamster's "black list".
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6647

RDMC wrote:

I think most of you do not have to worry about your car being tracked. Think this mostly applies to high profile criminals or people suspected from terrorist activities.
Not in Holland. When does that tracking device in every car thing come into effect? AFAIK that's just to stop people speeding or some bullshit.
Turquoise
O Canada

Uzique wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

there's a difference between some laws being misinterpreted and abused by the imperfections of man/human legal instrumentation

AND

purposefully designing a law with the aim of reducing liberties, freedoms and basic rights.

the neocons drafted up the patriot act hastily during a time of national emergency in order to effect the latter, not the former...
That's been my argument as well.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

RDMC wrote:

erm, hello. the legislation (e.g. the patriot act) is written-up and legally worded so as to give a VERY wide definition of 'terrorist'. that was the neocons tactful tampering: introducing political agendas and ambitions to the legislative/judiciary side of government. the patriot act is a decidedly ultra-conservative piece of legislation that seeks only to alienate, criminalize and invade the rights of the US's own citizens. it's kind of like the purposeful open-endedness of the definition of 'combatant' or 'pirate' in relevant war/piracy laws. the people that draft these documents up do so with a very specific and self-aware set of terminologies that can be left to the discretionary doctrine of judicial interpretation in a very... 'open'... way. all it takes is a judge with a right-wing world-view (of which there are many on the US Supreme Court) and the Patriot Act suddenly becomes a VERY imposing and intimidating piece of law.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6128|North Tonawanda, NY

OxenBreeder wrote:

I believe as American's, we have a LOT to fear from our Gov't, no doubt about it.

But if you're that paranoid, take a peek under your car from time to time, if you "see" said GPS device, simply remove it. Toss it in the fucking lake/take a sledge hammer to it for all I care... it's not like it couldn't be removed from your car, damn!

All these fuckers are gonna catch me doing, is, my sorry ass going from home, to work. From work, to home....where's the thrill in that?

Hell, lets say 5,000 are hired, just to read the text messages we Americans send daily. There's no way 5,000 people could handle the text data transmitted by teens alone, on a daily basis in America, let alone spy on where I'm going/where I've been..

Track my cell phone, track my car movements, track my online activities, the list can go on and on.. But it would take MANY millions of people just to analyze the "data" of the American people alone, on a daily basis.

If you have nothing to hide, then why worry, right?  I reject that notion.  It's the principle of the thing, I suppose.  Also, computers can sort through data significantly faster than humans can, but I don't really think the government is spying on all of us.  Like you said, it just wouldn't make sense.

Food for thought--on the Top 500 list of the highest performing supercomputers in the world, there isn't a single NSA entry...I find that kind of interesting!
Turquoise
O Canada

ghettoperson wrote:

RDMC wrote:

Not in Holland. When does that tracking device in every car thing come into effect? AFAIK that's just to stop people speeding or some bullshit.
Well....  I'm glad I don't live in the Netherlands then...
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

SenorToenails wrote:

OxenBreeder wrote:

If you have nothing to hide, then why worry, right?  I reject that notion.  It's the principle of the thing, I suppose.  Also, computers can sort through data significantly faster than humans can, but I don't really think the government is spying on all of us.  Like you said, it just wouldn't make sense.

Food for thought--on the Top 500 list of the highest performing supercomputers in the world, there isn't a single NSA entry...I find that kind of interesting!
isn't that because most government/intelligence agencies have their computers hosted over vast 'networks' of computational power? one big super-computer/database in a centralized processing/data capacity is one big target for cyber-terrorism, hackers and foreign nation's own spying efforts. that's just afaik, anyway, living in the shadow of GCHQ...
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6128|North Tonawanda, NY

Uzique wrote:

isn't that because most government/intelligence agencies have their computers hosted over vast 'networks' of computational power? one big super-computer/database in a centralized processing/data capacity is one big target for cyber-terrorism, hackers and foreign nation's own spying efforts. that's just afaik, anyway, living in the shadow of GCHQ...
Well, 'supercomputer' is kind of a misnomer.  It isn't one monolithic machine, but rather several thousand linked together.  Still, given the performance of the ones at the various national laboratories (LLNL, Sandia, Los Alamos, etc...) pretty much shows that the government does have centralized computing power.  For codebreaking, the NSA would need massive computing power available to it.  Bruteforcing encryption codes can be very computationally intensive.  As far as I understand, anyway.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6563|Area 51

Uzique wrote:

RDMC wrote:

erm, hello. the legislation (e.g. the patriot act) is written-up and legally worded so as to give a VERY wide definition of 'terrorist'. that was the neocons tactful tampering: introducing political agendas and ambitions to the legislative/judiciary side of government. the patriot act is a decidedly ultra-conservative piece of legislation that seeks only to alienate, criminalize and invade the rights of the US's own citizens. it's kind of like the purposeful open-endedness of the definition of 'combatant' or 'pirate' in relevant war/piracy laws. the people that draft these documents up do so with a very specific and self-aware set of terminologies that can be left to the discretionary doctrine of judicial interpretation in a very... 'open'... way. all it takes is a judge with a right-wing world-view (of which there are many on the US Supreme Court) and the Patriot Act suddenly becomes a VERY imposing and intimidating piece of law.
Right. Didn't understand half of it, but still if you've got nothing to hide, then what is the big deal?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard