mikkel
+383|6603

Turquoise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

This isn't a mosque, its a fucking victory flag.
How the hell is this a "victory flag"?

"Puny infidels! Helplessly observe as we exemplify your tolerant constitution and your boundless adherence to personal freedoms! We won!"

The only way this could even be a "victory flag" to extremists is if yet another set of liberties were trampled upon in their name. Sadly, it seems that a lot of people have their narrow minds set on that.
On the one hand, I agree with you.  From a logical person's perspective, this is how to view the situation.

Unfortunately, extremists aren't logical.  So I believe some extremists will use some flawed logic to spin this as a victory for them.

Granted, that's not a good reason to block the building of this community center.

The issue from our perspective is that some of our own people aren't employing sound logic in viewing the situation.
Yes, let's judge all domestic affairs by how they could be construed by a handful of extremist malcontents. That'll really show those terrorists who's in charge.

DBBrinson1 wrote:

mikkel wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

This isn't a mosque, its a fucking victory flag.
How the hell is this a "victory flag"?

"Puny infidels! Helplessly observe as we exemplify your tolerant constitution and your boundless adherence to personal freedoms! We won!"

The only way this could even be a "victory flag" to extremists is if yet another set of liberties were trampled upon in their name. Sadly, it seems that a lot of people have their narrow minds set on that.
Give your mind some credit, it was narrow enough to answer your own question -even if it was wrong.  You can't see the symbolism of a mosque being built next to the rubble of the twin towers?  dense.
Yes, I can see the symbolism. No, I don't see it from a paranoid and xenophobic perspective. Go through my post again, DBBrinson, and make sure that I really did answer my own question. Being glib only works if you can mask the lack of substance.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

mikkel wrote:

Yes, let's judge all domestic affairs by how they could be construed by a handful of extremist malcontents. That'll really show those terrorists who's in charge.
Mikkel, if you'll notice, we actually agree that the community center should be allowed at Ground Zero.

All I was doing was pointing out that some extremists will actually see this as a victory, but that's because they're crazy.
mikkel
+383|6603

Turquoise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Mikkel, if you'll notice, we actually agree that the community center should be allowed at Ground Zero.

All I was doing was pointing out that some extremists will actually see this as a victory, but that's because they're crazy.
Oh, I know we agree on the issue. I'm merely pointing out how inane it is to even consider how extremists will construe this.
13rin
+977|6481
Wreckage of the plane including landing gear and fuselage went through the building on the proposed 'site' of this mosque.  It's how these guys got such a great deal on the property.  It's as fucking ground zero as it gets.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6455|The Twilight Zone
If I were American I wouldn't object to mosques being built but I would object to the location where it is being built. I don't think the location is appropriate. It should be farther away from where the two towers stood.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6811|NÃ¥rvei

.Sup wrote:

If I were American I wouldn't object to mosques being built but I would object to the location where it is being built. I don't think the location is appropriate. It should be farther away from where the two towers stood.
Totally agree ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6470
Japanese people shouldn't be allowed to live at Pearl Harbor.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

or Americans in Hiroshima, but on a subject that is so, subjective, why would any opinion expressed in this thread be bannable?
.Sup
be nice

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

There are several Americans living in Nagasaki...
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York
I'm both Jewish and American. I know people who perished in 9/11. In 11 days, I'll be living about 3-4 blocks from the Mosque.

Frankly, I don't give a flying fuck.

The media picked this up and made into a gigantic issue. The mosque is not for hate, it's basically an Islamic YMCA ffs. If you can prove that they're spewing hatred there, I'd probably be on the side that wants them to build it elsewhere. Until then, I'm on the side that doesn't exactly support it (and I do get where people are coming from), but I feel it's not a big deal and people should just let it go.

By being pissed off about this, you essentially equate all Muslims with terrorists.

And where does it stop? Do we stop Muslims from visiting Ground Zero next? Prohibit prayer within a 4 block radius? I mean, by the logic the people who are against the mosque are using, these rules should be made too.
.Sup
be nice
As a foreign observer it seems that "Muslims" have destroyed an American statue to build their own there instead. I might be exaggerating as the Muslims who destroyed the towers were totally different people than these who would, by building a mosque, just like to complement their God with prayers. But in the eyes of those (terrorists) who hold a grudge against USA this will be a big victory.

Last edited by .Sup (2010-08-23 14:21:11)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York
Yes, I'm sure Al-Qaeda is going to have a huge party because a Mosque is 2 blocks down from the WTC site.
Turquoise
O Canada

Poseidon wrote:

By being pissed off about this, you essentially equate all Muslims with terrorists.
pretty much...

Poseidon wrote:

And where does it stop? Do we stop Muslims from visiting Ground Zero next? Prohibit prayer within a 4 block radius? I mean, by the logic the people who are against the mosque are using, these rules should be made too.
Yep, if we did do those things, the Mecca analogy would be more appropriate, and it would be a sad sign for our country.

Although...  speaking of Mecca, maybe they'll actually let non-Muslims at least step foot in Mecca sometime in the future.  It's not that it's anything special, but it would show some societal advancement on the part of Saudi Arabia.
.Sup
be nice

Turquoise wrote:

Although...  speaking of Mecca, maybe they'll actually let non-Muslims at least step foot in Mecca sometime in the future.  It's not that it's anything special, but it would show some societal advancement on the part of Saudi Arabia.
Why aren't Christians allowed there anyway? I promise I'll take my shoes off.
Turquoise
O Canada

.Sup wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Good question...  The main excuse I've heard is that the whole place is holy.  Wahhabists have a very strict interpretation of Islam that makes Mecca the sort of place where only Muslims are welcome.

Islam is ok overall, but Wahhabism/Salafism is pretty crazy in a lot of respects.
.Sup
be nice

Turquoise wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Good question...  The main excuse I've heard is that the whole place is holy.  Wahhabists have a very strict interpretation of Islam that makes Mecca the sort of place where only Muslims are welcome.

Islam is ok overall, but Wahhabism/Salafism is pretty crazy in a lot of respects.
I heard the exact same thing, holy place where, only holy people are welcomed? Who are we then? I mean we were all made by (the same) God right? I haven't heard Christians forbid Muslims to enter their church (or other holy places) yet.
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.
You're probably not missing much, if I could go to a restricted place id rather go area51. Go science.
Phrozenbot
+632|6617|do not disturb

When the Jewish Temple existed, only a Jewish high priest was allowed into the holy of holies. It was a commandment by God.

edit: bleh spelling im so bad at it lol

Last edited by Phrozenbot (2010-08-23 19:38:30)

jord

Phrozenbot wrote:

When the Jewish Temple existed, only a Jewish high priest was allowed into the holy of holies. It was a commanded by God.
Who commanded it really though?
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney

.Sup wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

.Sup wrote:

I heard the exact same thing, holy place where, only holy people are welcomed? Who are we then? I mean we were all made by (the same) God right? I haven't heard Christians forbid Muslims to enter their church (or other holy places) yet.
Just because one has their set of laws and rules doesn't automatically mean everyone has to do the same. I'm pretty sure I'm not really allowed to enter a lot of the Vatican.

Last edited by Jaekus (2010-08-23 14:46:05)

.Sup
be nice

Jaekus wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Just because one has their set of laws and rules doesn't automatically mean everyone has to do the same. I'm pretty sure I'm not really allowed to enter a lot of the Vatican.
You are allowed where others are allowed unless its for personnel or for the pope only. Same applies in Mecca you can't go where priests go, obviously. But Muslims CAN go pray where all Christians can , but Christians aren't allowed to go pray where Muslims can. I went a bit of this thread's course and I apologize, I was just really interested in some things and I had to ask.
Phrozenbot
+632|6617|do not disturb

jord wrote:

Phrozenbot wrote:

When the Jewish Temple existed, only a Jewish high priest was allowed into the holy of holies. It was a commanded by God.
God did. They also apparently put ropes around high priests so if God's holy presence killed them, they could be pulled out safely.

I'm not trying to preach by the way. It's in the OT.
jord

Phrozenbot wrote:

jord wrote:

Phrozenbot wrote:

God did. They also apparently put ropes around high priests so if God's holy presence killed them, they could be pulled out safely.

I'm not trying to preach by the way. It's in the OT.
Oh so only the OT authors know then.
Phrozenbot
+632|6617|do not disturb

The Jewish people knew.
jord
Not really. I was just asking who was really behind the non jewish people ban in that high temple, perhaps more than one person.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard