Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney
It's only an issue becaue the media has made it an issue, not that that is anything new. I'm sure there are lot more important issues to waste time and resources on than if a few peaceful muslims want to practice their faith.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Meh. Just because you could doesn't mean you should.  Could the US of nuked Afghanistan and Iraq/any other middle eastern country out of existence?  Should we though?
- peacefully worshipping your religion in a country where, legally and principally, everyone is equal and equally 'free'.

- nuking a country and killing thousands/millions of civilians just because you have the technical capability.

do i even have to say anything?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
13rin
+977|6481
No...  I do see your point. 

However, this is nothing more than the enemy using my own countries laws against itself.  An eye poke to the great satan.  I have no problem with Islam.  However these fuckers have ties to CAIR -which has ties to hamas(radical Islam).  This isn't a mosque, its a fucking victory flag.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

DBBrinson1 wrote:

This isn't a mosque, its a fucking victory flag.
https://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/images/0409-02.jpg
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
13rin
+977|6481

Uzique wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03 … 409-02.jpg
VS Iraq or Radical Islam? 

If memory serves correct, those guys got in a bit of trouble for that -right before they pulled the statue down with tanks (that was a publicity stunt).
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03 … 409-02.jpg
VS Iraq or Radical Islam? 

If memory serves correct, those guys got in a bit of trouble for that -right before they pulled the statue down with tanks (that was a publicity stunt).
versus nothing specifically. it's a symbol. an icon. back and forth and back and forth and on and on...

islam isn't the sole aggressor, nor was it the first to strike a blow in this petty feud with white, christian america

people bitching about the mosque and the "muslim enemy" need a history lesson, or a quick briefing in contextualisation.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

you're just sleep walking into electing another president based on bullshit-reasons
Have we ever done anything else?
Eisenhower was pretty solid as a president.  He still made some mistakes, but his experience was relevant to his job, and his statesmanship was well above most modern presidents.

That being said, Eisenhower would have dodged this issue like the plague for basically the same reasons as Obama has.

This isn't a relevant issue for the feds.

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-08-23 06:30:12)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

Turquoise wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

you're just sleep walking into electing another president based on bullshit-reasons
Eisenhower was pretty solid as a president.  He still made some mistakes, but his experience was relevant to his job, and his statesmanship was well above most modern presidents.

That being said, Eisenhower would have dodged this issue like the plague for basically the same reasons as Obama has.

i asserted that in the era of television-presidents (i.e. kennedy->), there have been no good presidents/prime ministers.

in fact the only good statesperson that i can think of with actual political progress and integrity was Thatcher with the neo-liberal overhaul.

and for that she was massively unpopular. not a public icon. just an actual politician. a rarity.

Last edited by Uzique (2010-08-23 06:32:27)

mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6765|d

Uzique wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Meh. Just because you could doesn't mean you should.  Could the US of nuked Afghanistan and Iraq/any other middle eastern country out of existence?  Should we though?
- peacefully worshipping your religion in a country where, legally and principally, everyone is equal and equally 'free'.

- nuking a country and killing thousands/millions of civilians just because you have the technical capability.

do i even have to say anything?
tbh, I don't think even that much was required.
Turquoise
O Canada

Uzique wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

i asserted that in the era of television-presidents (i.e. kennedy->), there have been no good presidents/prime ministers.

in fact the only good statesperson that i can think of with actual political progress and integrity was Thatcher with the neo-liberal overhaul.

and for that she was massively unpopular. not a public icon. just an actual politician. a rarity.
Pretty much, although I think Canada's PMs have been mostly good in recent decades.  Also, some of the smaller Western European nations  have had ok leaders.
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6765|d

cdailey2142 wrote:

I don't live in NY but I personally feel like building this Mosque is a smack in the face of the people who lost loved ones on 9/11. This isn't about wheather they have the right to build it. It's more about the fact those most Americans agree that it should not be built. If this is built against the wishes of the American public I can see this turing in to a huge problem. People will protest outside this Mosque and some may take it even further.
Its a smack in the face if you think all muslims are terrorist. Believe it or not, but Muslims also died on that horrid day.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6580|Columbus, OH
Well if the World Trade Center site aka "ground zero" was truly sacred as people make it out to be, then the site should of been converted into a memorial park instead of commercialized property for leasing buildings. For those emotional people who are distraught over this, blame greed not religion.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England

loubot wrote:

Well if the World Trade Center site aka "ground zero" was truly sacred as people make it out to be, then the site should of been converted into a memorial park instead of commercialized property for leasing buildings. For those emotional people who are distraught over this, blame greed not religion.
Americans compare it to Mecca. In the sense that if Mecca can't have a church than Ground Zero can't have a mosque, so in other words Ground Zero is a Mecca for Americans. I can see some similarities actually, there's a black box in Mecca and there were two at Ground Zero
13rin
+977|6481

mafia996630 wrote:

Its a smack in the face if you think all muslims are terrorist. Believe it or not, but Muslims also died on that horrid day.
You mean other than the hijackers?
Turquoise
O Canada

Mekstizzle wrote:

loubot wrote:

Americans compare it to Mecca. In the sense that if Mecca can't have a church than Ground Zero can't have a mosque, so in other words Ground Zero is a Mecca for Americans. I can see some similarities actually, there's a black box in Mecca and there were two at Ground Zero
Well, it can't really be compared to Mecca.  In Mecca, you aren't allowed to enter if you're a non-Muslim.  Anyone can visit Ground Zero.

By law, anyone can build there too.  But yeah, there are a lot of dumbasses making a big deal about this.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

Mekstizzle wrote:

loubot wrote:

hahahahaha that is not D&ST material but oh my god I laughed.

or maybe there were no black boxes because the CIA removed them beforehand to cover their tracks
cdailey2142
Flesh Peddler
+14|5065

mafia996630 wrote:

cdailey2142 wrote:

I don't live in NY but I personally feel like building this Mosque is a smack in the face of the people who lost loved ones on 9/11. This isn't about wheather they have the right to build it. It's more about the fact those most Americans agree that it should not be built. If this is built against the wishes of the American public I can see this turing in to a huge problem. People will protest outside this Mosque and some may take it even further.
Exactly how many muslims died in the 9/11 attacks? Site source please. I haven't found a single one other than the terrorists.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

cdailey2142 wrote:

mafia996630 wrote:

cdailey2142 wrote:

Exactly how many muslims died in the 9/11 attacks? Site source please. I haven't found a single one other than the terrorists.
the guy's planting bombs on the support pillars of the other WTC building got killed when it collapsed prematurely for no reason
cdailey2142
Flesh Peddler
+14|5065

Uzique wrote:

cdailey2142 wrote:

mafia996630 wrote:

the guy's planting bombs on the support pillars of the other WTC building got killed when it collapsed prematurely for no reason
Well, at least they got to join the 72 virgins club!
Turquoise
O Canada

cdailey2142 wrote:

mafia996630 wrote:

cdailey2142 wrote:

There were a few international citizens who died in the 9/11 attacks that weren't terrorists but were Muslims.  For a pretty comprehensive list by nationality...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties … 11_attacks

Just looking at a surface level, there were 6 Bangladeshis, 1 Indonesian, 2 Jordanians, 3 Lebanese, 3 Malaysians, and 1 Uzbek.  Granted, the list doesn't mention religion, but I'm sure at least one of that group was Muslim.

Also, it's worth noting that Iran publicly mourned the attacks.  Granted, a lot of things have changed in Iran since then.
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6765|d

Turquoise wrote:

cdailey2142 wrote:

mafia996630 wrote:

There were a few international citizens who died in the 9/11 attacks that weren't terrorists but were Muslims.  For a pretty comprehensive list by nationality...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties … 11_attacks

Just looking at a surface level, there were 6 Bangladeshis, 1 Indonesian, 2 Jordanians, 3 Lebanese, 3 Malaysians, and 1 Uzbek.  Granted, the list doesn't mention religion, but I'm sure at least one of that group was Muslim.

Also, it's worth noting that Iran publicly mourned the attacks.  Granted, a lot of things have changed in Iran since then.
So what's your view on my original comments cdailey2142 ?
mikkel
+383|6603

DBBrinson1 wrote:

How the hell is this a "victory flag"?

"Puny infidels! Helplessly observe as we exemplify your tolerant constitution and your boundless adherence to personal freedoms! We won!"

The only way this could even be a "victory flag" to extremists is if yet another set of liberties were trampled upon in their name. Sadly, it seems that a lot of people have their narrow minds set on that.

Last edited by mikkel (2010-08-23 09:42:00)

13rin
+977|6481

mikkel wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

"Puny infidels! Helplessly observe as we exemplify your tolerant constitution and your boundless adherence to personal freedoms! We won!"

The only way this could even be a "victory flag" to extremists is if yet another set of liberties were trampled upon in their name. Sadly, it seems that a lot of people have their narrow minds set on that.
Give your mind some credit, it was narrow enough to answer your own question -even if it was wrong.  You can't see the symbolism of a mosque being built next to the rubble of the twin towers?  dense.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5239|Cleveland, Ohio
the more i hear the people here with their smart ass replies the more it turns me against the mosque which i really did not give a fuck about.  70% of americans think it shouldnt be built.  well fine you fuckers have made me join them.  fine call us all stupid.  dont really care.  keep being such fucking cunts about it.  if its a non issue then why are you fuckers so angry and insulting with your replies?  why reply at all.  funny thing is you are making it an issue with your replies.  which is why the news has picked up this story.  get that?  get that thru your fucking skulls?

fuck the mosque or whatever it is.  it is a slap in the face.  why cuz of muslims?  no.  because they knew it would cause issues which is why they are doing it.  period.
Turquoise
O Canada

mikkel wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

On the one hand, I agree with you.  From a logical person's perspective, this is how to view the situation.

Unfortunately, extremists aren't logical.  So I believe some extremists will use some flawed logic to spin this as a victory for them.

Granted, that's not a good reason to block the building of this community center.

The issue from our perspective is that some of our own people aren't employing sound logic in viewing the situation.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard