ATG
Banned
+5,233|6500|Global Command
"American Muslims have the right to practice their religion in accordance with the Constitution of the United States," Rauf said. "I see the [ U.S. ]article of independence as more compliant with the principles of Islam than what is available in many of the current Muslim countries."

It seems my Brother understands The Word.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/n … obinsource

I support or do not object to the mosque being built.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

President Barack Obama has said he believes Muslims have the right to build an Islamic center in New York as a matter of religious freedom, though he's also said he won't take a position on whether they should actually build it.
[ ] surprised
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5208|Cleveland, Ohio
fence sitting makes you look cool
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

11 Bravo wrote:

He just needs to stop commenting about things that don't have anything to do with him. Every time he makes a comment on something he alienates a bunch of people and then alienates a bunch of others trying to correct himself.
mikkel
+383|6572

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

President Barack Obama has said he believes Muslims have the right to build an Islamic center in New York as a matter of religious freedom, though he's also said he won't take a position on whether they should actually build it.
[ ] surprised
Why on Earth should he take an official position on something like this?
11 Bravo
Banned

mikkel wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

[ ] surprised
why not?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

Macbeth wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

He just needs to stop commenting about things that don't have anything to do with him. Every time he makes a comment on something he alienates a bunch of people and then alienates a bunch of others trying to correct himself.
this is what happens when you elect a president based on celebrity appeal rather than political acumen.

people get upset because their 'support' of him is support of him as a person.

not support of his political vision or ideology, as such. not that he even fucking has one.

(is in support of muslim's having a right to practice their religion in a mosque located in their local neighbourhood)
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon

mikkel wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

[ ] surprised
because new york building permits are within his jurisdiction.
mikkel
+383|6572

11 Bravo wrote:

mikkel wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

[ ] surprised
why not?
Well, as far as I can tell, it's a private project about which nothing is at odds with any legislation, or any branch of the government. It's being picked up as political confetti by idiot politicians who apparently have no respect for the most basic judicial and social tenets of the country. Which part of this warrants the president to take any kind of official stance?

I think we both know that regardless of which side of the argument he would align with, the other would criticise him for abusing his mandate to effect change in affairs unrelated to his office. Rightfully so.
11 Bravo
Banned

mikkel wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

mikkel wrote:

why not?
Well, as far as I can tell, it's a private project about which nothing is at odds with any legislation, or any branch of the government. It's being picked up as political confetti by idiot politicians who apparently have no respect for the most basic judicial and social tenets of the country. Which part of this warrants the president to take any kind of official stance?

I think we both know that regardless of which side of the argument he would align with, the other would criticise him for abusing his mandate to effect change in affairs unrelated to his office. Rightfully so.
i think anything around ground zero will spark interest...whether you like it or not or agree with it or not.  i personally would like to know where the man stands.  i would respect him more for picking a side tbh.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
he's wise for not doing so, tbh. a lot of stupid people in your country with their dumb eyes on the POTUS

if he speaks out against = neocon like bush, narrowminded, all muslims are terrorists trololol
if he speaks out for = liberal, son of a muslim, half-black, probably is muslim, probably is actually a terrorist trololol

mikkel is right - the president and the political parties have nothing to do with this. it's legal and within rights. it's a media circus.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
11 Bravo
Banned
yes but people like to know where the people who they will be voting for stand on hot button issues.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
if people are going to base their democratic right to vote on whether or not a guy agrees with a mosque in new york...

then god fucking help them.

i can think of, oh i dunno, just about EVERY other thing in the world that is more politically important.

this is a complete political non-issue. making muslims and mosques a 'political problem' is bad-news, through and through.
11 Bravo
Banned
oh but it is a political issue.  like it or not it is.  find it sad or not is irrelevant.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
well then sure, care and enquire about that... you're just sleep walking into electing another president based on bullshit-reasons

and you'll end up with yet another trainwreck

the people of america are more concerned with things that fox news calls 'issues' than ACTUAL political issues

on that basis, god knows how you're ever gonna sort out your problems when you keep electing hot-topic publicity men
11 Bravo
Banned
oh come on.  ive seen political ads in other countries...they all babble about hot button issues.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
and that's why every president and prime minister since kennedy has been mostly shite

television-era politicians are more about hollywood-smiles and populist bullshit than hard political stances and real action-plans
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon
it's pseudo-political bullshit constructed to play on the emotions and fears of our simpleton masses.

We don't just get to enjoy all the rights, all the freedoms that come with our Constitution.  We also have the responsibility to accept and defend what may not be universally liked, in this case, an islamic community center built near a site of national tragedy.  Nowhere in the Constitution does it say, "all this shit only applies when it feels good and everyone is cool with it."

Last edited by Reciprocity (2010-08-23 00:15:30)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Uzique wrote:

you're just sleep walking into electing another president based on bullshit-reasons
Have we ever done anything else?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
not for me to say, really... but im glad the exterior-spectator skepticism permeates the inside spheres, too .
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Uzique wrote:

not for me to say, really... but im glad the exterior-spectator skepticism permeates the inside spheres, too .
Outside perspectives may influence Euro-wannabes (and such), but it's really only news to very few of us.
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6734|d
“...the best speaker is...the speaker who knows how to win the hearts of the masses.”

-ˈadɔlf ˈhɪtlɐ

Last edited by mafia996630 (2010-08-23 03:57:49)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6592|London, England

11 Bravo wrote:

yes but people like to know where the people who they will be voting for stand on hot button issues.
If this whole mosque thing is a 'hot button issue' for someone, then I think everyone already knows where they stand on it. If you get what I mean. The fact that this is something that people feel needs to be elevated to such a high level says everything.

Plus if two blocks isn't 'far enough' for some, you can safely assume that "anywhere in the US" isn't far enough, lol
13rin
+977|6450
Meh. Just because you could doesn't mean you should.  Could the US of nuked Afghanistan and Iraq/any other middle eastern country out of existence?  Should we though?
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
cdailey2142
Flesh Peddler
+14|5034
I don't live in NY but I personally feel like building this Mosque is a smack in the face of the people who lost loved ones on 9/11. This isn't about wheather they have the right to build it. It's more about the fact those most Americans agree that it should not be built. If this is built against the wishes of the American public I can see this turing in to a huge problem. People will protest outside this Mosque and some may take it even further.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard