Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6477
i ALWAYS maintain that the only difference between underground, narco-state fuelling drugs and the ones you get from your doctor or local pharmacy is the presentation and the reduced cost... haha. for all intensive purposes (i.e. 'instant gratification', pain-release, escape, feelings of mental happiness and relaxing stress and anxiety) the over-the-counter drugs and the drugs killing gang-members in mexico are one and the same. people are over-medicated, that is true enough; the divisive difference is one group get their drugs from a black market that funds and fuels lots of human misery and economic dependency in third-world countries, and the other gets pharmaceutical companies and doctors very, very rich in a regulated and state-approved avenue.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6412|North Carolina
Yep...  and we all know how the state likes to ban anything it doesn't have control over.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6477
if mexico got its shit together, seized control of the supply/distribution channels and legalized/taxed drugs...

it would economically prosper in a BIG way, it would wipe out its gang/cartel problem (... eventually) and would benefit in a LOT of ways.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5244|Cleveland, Ohio
i aint talking aboot jail, lads.

i am talking about full military border control.  UAV's.  Napalm pot fields.  bunker buster underground ones.  spec ops to kill all narco people.

ya you would still have drugs but i guarantee a dramatic decrease.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6778|PNW

There's too much money in the illegal drug trade to allow it to be legalized.
Turquoise
O Canada

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

There's too much money in the illegal drug trade to allow it to be legalized.
Well, that's true in the sense that the money made off of the illegal drug trade probably is enough for the parties involved to spend money on politicians who will keep it illegal (and thus keep the value of the drugs high).
Turquoise
O Canada

11 Bravo wrote:

i am talking about full military border control.  UAV's.  Napalm pot fields.  bunker buster underground ones.  spec ops to kill all narco people.

I suppose that could work, but that seems a lot more expensive than the alternative of legalization + regulation.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6477

11 Bravo wrote:

the UN advisory board says that for there to be any significant decrease or 'damage' done to a countries illegal drug trade, around 60-70% of ALL imported drugs would have to be seized and taken out of circulation. in the united kingdom, after funding 'the war on drugs' for 40 years, at the cost of billions of £'s and the combined efforts of thousands of service-personnel, we are seizing aroundabout 1-2% of all incoming drugs.

60% target
1% reality

there is nothing short of absolute martial-law and draconic public policy that could have any 'effect' on the drugs-trade. even being incredibly harsh to people (the laws already penalise people severely... but they're only low level pushers, mules and exploited people living in poverty) does NOTHING. zilch. nada. as people say time and time again: as long as there's a demand, there will be a supply and a trade to service that demand. and no amount of government, police or military intervention is going to destroy people's personal choice/motivation to take drugs. drug-use is as old as human experience itself. it's not going away through any exercise of state power. period.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5244|Cleveland, Ohio

Turquoise wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

I suppose that could work, but that seems a lot more expensive than the alternative of legalization + regulation.
i dont disagree with that all i am saying is it could work.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6536|Global Command

11 Bravo wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

I'd give up the right to get high for security.
Turquoise
O Canada

ATG wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I'd give up the right to get high for security.
I wouldn't (although it's not really a right yet anyway)...  although I do support actually having some form of border security (and reforming the citizenship process)
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6555|San Diego, CA, USA

Uzique wrote:

if mexico got its shit together, seized control of the supply/distribution channels and legalized/taxed drugs...

it would economically prosper in a BIG way, it would wipe out its gang/cartel problem (... eventually) and would benefit in a LOT of ways.
Ok, so lets assume that all works.  What'll happen in the United States then?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6112|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique wrote:

drug-use has existed and will exist for longer than any modern nation.

aztecs were getting high in central america centuries ago... mexico is fucked-up now because it has been criminalised and thus driven underground into the world of drug-lords, drug-gangs, corrupt politicians and bought-out officials. if you just allowed it to be legal and controlled it, then the demand would be satisfied by a safer avenue of distribution (made cheaper by the process, too)- and the underworld would effectively die out. as it stands right now, corruption and drug-taking interests exist at every level in the state/society. politicians use, law-enforcement use, average citizens use, and criminals use. always have done, always will. it's a waste of money and contributing towards a  'narco-state' status is contributing towards a state-of-emergency situation, tbh.
I'd say personal behaviour is at the root of it, peoples propensity to break the law for their own short term pleasure and never mind the wider consequences.

Why stop partying because people are dying?
Maybe a severed head should be bundled with each kilo of coke?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5592

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique wrote:

drug-use has existed and will exist for longer than any modern nation.

aztecs were getting high in central america centuries ago... mexico is fucked-up now because it has been criminalised and thus driven underground into the world of drug-lords, drug-gangs, corrupt politicians and bought-out officials. if you just allowed it to be legal and controlled it, then the demand would be satisfied by a safer avenue of distribution (made cheaper by the process, too)- and the underworld would effectively die out. as it stands right now, corruption and drug-taking interests exist at every level in the state/society. politicians use, law-enforcement use, average citizens use, and criminals use. always have done, always will. it's a waste of money and contributing towards a  'narco-state' status is contributing towards a state-of-emergency situation, tbh.
I'd say personal behaviour is at the root of it, peoples propensity to break the law for their own short term pleasure and never mind the wider consequences.

Why stop partying because people are dying?
Maybe a severed head should be bundled with each kilo of coke?
Everything we have in 'the west' is covered in someones blood...
rdx-fx
+955|6598
Do not send the US military to help Mexico.

If we so much as step foot in Mexico, then in the eyes of the Mexicans all of their problems of the last 30 years will be El Gringo's fault.

We've got our own problems to sort out.
Fuck off, we're closed.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Harmor wrote:

Uzique wrote:

It could hardly get much worse.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6536|Global Command

Dilbert_X wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Not true.

Imagine argi-giants churning out insecticide and fertilizer charged dope at affordable prices.
The hippy economy of petty pound pot dealers would collapse.

Actually, sounds good.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

ATG wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Not true.

Imagine argi-giants churning out insecticide and fertilizer charged dope at affordable prices.
The hippy economy of petty pound pot dealers would collapse.

Actually, sounds good.
Plus tax, its not going to be cheaper than cigarettes -> Govt makes the money, hippys have to get jobs, seems reasonable.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5480|Ventura, California
What's the future of MEXICO?!!!

duh
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

JohnG@lt wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Unless the U.S. military uses it's full power and force in the most ruthless way then any involvement in Mexico will make things worse.
It's not worth the time and effort to fix unless we just fucking annex the place. Mexican history is a series of revolutions and counter-revolutions, dictator following dictator. We're better off just walling ourselves off and letting them kill themselves
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6786|Great Brown North

rdx-fx wrote:

If we so much as step foot in Mexico, then in the eyes of the Mexicans all of their problems of the last 30 years will be El Gringo's fault.

Fuck off, we're closed.
once again agreeing in full 100% with rdx
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

krazed wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

Fuck off, we're closed.
once again agreeing in full 100% with rdx
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6477

-Sh1fty- wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Unless the U.S. military uses it's full power and force in the most ruthless way then any involvement in Mexico will make things worse.
It's not worth the time and effort to fix unless we just fucking annex the place. Mexican history is a series of revolutions and counter-revolutions, dictator following dictator. We're better off just walling ourselves off and letting them kill themselves
shifty i think you're missing the point a little in your rudimentary understanding of mexican history...

american demand for their drugs is what is fueling their current 'crisis'.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
I was only quoting the last line. I should have removed what was mentioned before.
Reciprocity
+721|6587|the dank(super) side of Oregon
our war on drugs did nothing more than shift production and control to mexico.  They saw the gap and filled it.

Last edited by Reciprocity (2010-08-23 00:22:49)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard