SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6123|North Tonawanda, NY

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Cell phones have also only been in service for a few years and we don't know what type of damage they're creating.
Except lowing wasn't arguing against cigs because of the damage they cause--he was because he doesn't want to be subjected to the smell.  I can understand that, but the same logic can be applied to other things as well.

I don't want to needlessly redirect the debate here, it was just an example! 
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

SenorToenails wrote:

lowing wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

So it's the smell... Well yeah on the flip side, The Truth campaign ads are so bad that a study has actually showed that it pushes people towards smoking. The other disgusting ads on tv are actually worse then the smoke will ever be. You smell it for a second or for a min then it's gone, but you can't unsee something. Also I watch TV when I eat and don't want to be subject to that unless I want to watch surgery videos.
Again, I don't care about the "Truth Campaigns", or who decides to pick up smoking for whatever reason. It is obnoxious, and hinders the breathing of those of us that do not smoke. Why? Because when you inhale, you know and expect what is entering your lungs. When a non -smoker inhales, they expect fresh air to enter their lungs, they are not used to or expect cigarette smoke, and that causes choking or coughing.

You have no argument that justifies or rationalizes your "right" to subject anyone to that.. Hell, becauae non-smokers do not want to breathe in your smoke, for whatever reason they cite, or not, is reason enough to prevent you from subjecting someone to it. You can not justify it or rationalize it
You can use that same kind of argument against cell phones though.  If you didn't want to hear them yakking, they have no right to force you to hear them yakking, etc...  I don't care for the smell of cigarette smoke, but it's not the smoke that bothers me so much...it's the rude people smoking that bother me.  Blame the cigarette or blame the person?  I'd say blame the person.
There is no right "not to be annoyed". You do have an expectation that when you inhale, you can do so without breathing in someone elses fucked up habits.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

SenorToenails wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Cell phones have also only been in service for a few years and we don't know what type of damage they're creating.
Except lowing wasn't arguing against cigs because of the damage they cause--he was because he doesn't want to be subjected to the smell.  I can understand that, but the same logic can be applied to other things as well.

I don't want to needlessly redirect the debate here, it was just an example! 
there is action being taken by business owners and govt. building s that curtail cell phone use during certain times. It is a shame however that such action is needed where individual respect and courtesy and common fuckin sense seem to fail.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

lowing wrote:

There is no right "not to be annoyed". You do have an expectation that when you inhale, you can do so without breathing in someone elses fucked up habits.
Except, you find it annoying and that's why you don't want it, right?  You aren't arguing against it based on health reasons because there is no real reason to think that breathing in a whiff of cigarette smoke every now and then will have any long term health effect on you.  You also have the expectation of breathing the exhaust of whatever drove by recently, the smell of whatever industry is in the area, the output of the local coal fired power plant, etc...
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

SenorToenails wrote:

lowing wrote:

Except, you find it annoying and that's why you don't want it, right?  You aren't arguing against it based on health reasons because there is no real reason to think that breathing in a whiff of cigarette smoke every now and then will have any long term health effect on you.  You also have the expectation of breathing the exhaust of whatever drove by recently, the smell of whatever industry is in the area, the output of the local coal fired power plant, etc...
there is a difference between being annoyed by dumb fuck cell phone users, and someone blowing cigarette smoke in my face, hindering my breathing....If you want to say it is the same kind of annoyance fine, I will meet you there, if you can admit having cigarette smoke in your face when it is not welcome is an annoyance that is a quite a few degrees higher on the rude, inconsiderate, disrespectful, fucked up scale of annoyances, and that the attention this annoyance brings on is warranted to a likewise greater degree, if the offended so chooses.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

SenorToenails wrote:

lowing wrote:

Yeah that, and it hinders my breathing even for a second at a time...I am fond of breathing personally.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

lowing wrote:

there is a difference between being annoyed by dumb fuck cell phone users, and someone blowing cigarette smoke in my face, hindering my breathing....If you want to say it is the same kind of annoyance fine, I will meet you there, if you can admit having cigarette smoke in your face when it is not welcome is an annoyance that is a quite a few degrees higher on the rude, inconsiderate, disrespectful, fucked up scale of annoyances, and that the attention this annoyance brings on is warranted to a likewise greater degree, if the offended so chooses.
Absolutely.  But I also realize that in public space and outside, cigarette smoke exists and I have to deal with it to some reasonable extent...unless whoever is doing it is being rude.

Last edited by SenorToenails (2010-08-24 08:58:11)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

SenorToenails wrote:

lowing wrote:

Absolutely.
annnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddd thats a wrap!! bed time.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6347
Wow - that picture of the kid in the beggining of the thread, Im gonna go hug mine.... bye

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard