Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6404|North Carolina
I'll put it this way.  I think it's clear that smoking in media can influence people's decisions on a subconscious level, but I think this is the sort of thing that the market should determine -- not the government.

Basically, these activist groups are fully within their rights to lobby the industry for change, but I don't think that the government should intervene.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

11 Bravo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

is it a big leap?  total alcohol deaths in the US as of 2008 were at least under 50K if i remember correctly.  second hand smoke gets credit for way more deaths that that per year.  so ya i guess it was a big leap.
Second hand smoke kills no one. If a non-smoker lives with a smoker and dies, that will be credited as a second hand smoke death no matter what the real cause of death. Statistics on issues like these are never to be trusted.
says you.  like i said i have seen air filters of airplanes when they allowed smoking compared to what they look like now.  not to mention air filters in homes of smokers.
So don't smoke, and feel free to preach to smokers as much as you want, but it's not your right to force me to quit.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

11 Bravo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

is it a big leap?  total alcohol deaths in the US as of 2008 were at least under 50K if i remember correctly.  second hand smoke gets credit for way more deaths that that per year.  so ya i guess it was a big leap.
Second hand smoke kills no one. If a non-smoker lives with a smoker and dies, that will be credited as a second hand smoke death no matter what the real cause of death. Statistics on issues like these are never to be trusted.
says you.  like i said i have seen air filters of airplanes when they allowed smoking compared to what they look like now.  not to mention air filters in homes of smokers.
It's a huge numbers game. Well how long was the flight? how many cigs have been smoked? I'm sure I can say orange juice and organic vegetables kill your liver if you've chugged 40 litres a day and 10 kilos of veggies a day too.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5236|Cleveland, Ohio

JohnG@lt wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

So don't smoke, and feel free to preach to smokers as much as you want, but it's not your right to force me to quit.
i dont.  except growing up i had to fly on planes and be in places filled with smoke.  im sure that did some damage.  so its too late for me.  if its a public health hazard then one should have the right to ban it.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6404|North Carolina

Cybargs wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

It's a huge numbers game. Well how long was the flight? how many cigs have been smoked? I'm sure I can say orange juice and organic vegetables kill your liver if you've chugged 40 litres a day and 10 kilos of veggies a day too.
For the most part, it has been proven that secondhand smoke can affect your health.  As you said, there are many variables (including the ventilation involved), but I don't think there is any question that smoke in any form is not good for you.

On the other hand, I don't think there's any question that firsthand smoke is much worse.
jord
+2,382|6677|The North, beyond the wall.

11 Bravo wrote:

jord wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

hmmmm... i enjoy drinking and driving...why cant i do that without getting in trouble?
You can just don't get caught.

Pretty big leap you made there though.
Then don't stand next to someone smoking in a public place or get a girlfriend that smokes?

I can assume some statistics and try to "remember correctly" about air being polluted by cars/manufacturing/power plants being worse than second hand smoke. You have the option not to work in manufactuing and be exposed to that like you have the option not to stand/sit next to someone who is smoking.

Here's a statistic. 250k people a day die on average, there are bigger issues than trying to ban smoking.

Last edited by jord (2010-08-22 08:31:57)

11 Bravo
Banned

Cybargs wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

no its not a numbers game.  filters get changed on a time cycle.  same time every time.  the difference is amazing.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6774|Moscow, Russia

11 Bravo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

you are talking to an addict, mate. to a person who's fucked up so hard he's incapable of looking at this matter objectively. his so called "arguments" in defence of smoking are speaking for themselves. let the poor bastard be.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

11 Bravo wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

no its not a numbers game.  filters get changed on a time cycle.  same time every time.  the difference is amazing.
Well if you don't mind me asking... how many cigs per flight and how long was the flight?

edit: fat people see the doctors more on health problems then smokers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10963427

Last edited by Cybargs (2010-08-22 08:34:01)

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
11 Bravo
Banned

Cybargs wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Well if you don't mind me asking... how many cigs per flight and how long was the flight?
they are not changed every flight.  it is like every 3 months or something.
jord

Shahter wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

you are talking to an addict, mate. to a person who's fucked up so hard he's incapable of looking at this matter objectively. his so called "arguments" in defence of smoking are speaking for themselves. let the poor bastard be.
And I've never smoked and I'm still defending keeping it legal. I have no addiction, I just happen to believe in personal freedoms and have an "each to their own" philosophy. John is doing a better job at debating the point than you are, you've just come and made some bone, semi controversial post with your dismissive attitude. Thanks for contributing...
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6680|Disaster Free Zone

Cybargs wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

edit: fat people see the doctors more on health problems then smokers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10963427
Fat people don't effect other peoples health.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

11 Bravo wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Well of course it's going to be dirty since we can assume that in every single flight there would be people smoking. It's not like you assume a smoker would smoke 24/7 right. Everything in moderation brah.
11 Bravo
Banned

Cybargs wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Well of course it's going to be dirty since we can assume that in every single flight there would be people smoking. It's not like you assume a smoker would smoke 24/7 right. Everything in moderation brah.
point is the same filter after three months of no smoking is beyond night and day.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

11 Bravo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

i dont.  except growing up i had to fly on planes and be in places filled with smoke.  im sure that did some damage.  so its too late for me.  if its a public health hazard then one should have the right to ban it.
Too late for you? They say that even a heavy smoker will have the lungs of a non-smoker given ten years time to heal. This is why non-smokers bitching about the occasional whiff is nothing more than hot air.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

jord wrote:

Shahter wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

And I've never smoked and I'm still defending keeping it legal. I have no addiction, I just happen to believe in personal freedoms and have an "each to their own" philosophy. John is doing a better job at debating the point than you are, you've just come and made some bone, semi controversial post with your dismissive attitude. Thanks for contributing...
"each to their own" only works when you aren't effecting other people by your actions. Smoking effects far more then yourself.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

11 Bravo wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

point is the same filter after three months of no smoking is beyond night and day.
be an asian. build trooper immune system to pollution my air filter at home is full of dust lulz. change it every 3 months too =/

edit: drunkface, anybody that smokes inside a mall or restaurant is a twat imo. smoking inside stinks, i would rather have a smoke outside instead of stinking up the place. common courtesies ftw.

Last edited by Cybargs (2010-08-22 08:39:38)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911

Cybargs wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

be an asian. build trooper immune system to pollution my air filter at home is full of dust lulz. change it every 3 months too =/

edit: drunkface, anybody that smokes inside a mall or restaurant is a twat imo. smoking inside stinks, i would rather have a smoke outside instead of stinking up the place. common courtesies ftw.
Smoking outside stinks just as much.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I don't want you to quit. In fact I encourage you and all smokers to inhale deep and long, hold it in as long as possible. enjoy yourselves.
jord

DrunkFace wrote:

jord wrote:

Shahter wrote:

"each to their own" only works when you aren't effecting other people by your actions. Smoking effects far more then yourself.
Then ban it in public places. People smoking in their own home is nobodys business.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

jord wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

jord wrote:

Then ban it in public places. People smoking in their own home is nobodys business.
Fine by me.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire
then people would start complaining about the children in smoking homes
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6499|so randum
smokers who smoke anywhere near children are dickheads.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
jord

DrunkFace wrote:

jord wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Fine by me.
Is it not already in ausland?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

jord wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

jord wrote:

Fine by me.
Is it not already in ausland?
You're still allowed to smoke in uncovered public areas. So outside shops and businesses, on side walks, at bus stops and train stations, in most sports grounds, parks, playgrounds, beaches, outdoor restaurants and cafes etc Many places where it is almost unavoidable but to have to walk through or wait around a cloud of pure evil.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard