Poll

When listening to an album for the first time, which do you prefer...

Read about it first, find out the artist's intentions0%0% - 0
Draw your own conclusions first, read about it later50%50% - 8
Only listen to the music, no outside research50%50% - 8
Total: 16
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6646

There have been times where I'd read an inlay, insert, or article on an album, get the artist's intentions and perspective, and then listen to the album and enjoy it thoroughly. Then there were times where I'd listen to an album a few times, come across a piece about it later (written by the artist of course, not talking about reviews here), then listen again and sometimes enjoy it a bit more, and other times get the same experience (and it's quite possible that I've had a worse experience, too).

Lastly, there have been times where I'd just listen to the music and not read up on it. (Usually because it wasn't justified)
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5956|London, England

Draw your own conclusions first, read about it later
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

Mutantbear wrote:

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
I know people who won't listen to an album, or see a film, if it gets a bad review
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
that's insane... reviewers will give positives, negatives and indifferent reviews... shame to ignore an artist because of just one opinion!

normally i do the second-- the artistic process, thought and 'intention' of music fascinates me. it often isn't as apparent as a visual piece of art, and is far removed thematically and theoretically from the intentions of literature. understanding the mindset, the context and the aesthetic of the artist very often helps to appreciate their music as art and as a finely-crafted and thought-provoking piece. also, there's the obvious benefits associated with looking up lyrics or liner-notes to written-songs in order to aid your understanding of the verse-lyricism. reading the 'concept' behind many electronic albums brings them alive in a whole new light, though.

sometimes, although rarely, i'll be reading a high-art music monthly such as WIRE magazine that will feature a new, upcoming artist or will do a retrospective-study of 'x' discography. if the way they present the artist's material there is interesting enough, then i will go and check that particular musician/band/artist out. it's kind of like reading a book when you know the ending, though, and you start to wonder to what end you're listening to simply hear what the reviewer/essayist/critic has instructed you to 'hear' in the music through their secondary-work. still, though, i cannot lie.... this method has helped me to discover some fantastic artists, such as the back-catalogue of John Cage.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6646

Reviews I'm not too keen on, at least as far as an understanding goes. But reading a piece the artist wrote saying something like "I tried to do this" or "I aimed for that" is something I find informative. It's nice to be able to draw one's own conclusions from the piece, but I can't deny the enjoyable feeling of "Ah ha! I see it!" moments either.
Wreckognize
+294|6477

jsnipy wrote:

Mutantbear wrote:

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard