13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

Dilbert_X wrote:

I call bullshit, the US protects its interests, thats it.
of course you do!

i'll call bullshit also, but - not because i'm australian, but because the U.S. is inherently militaristic.

i'm surprised Dilbo, you let that get by you . . .
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America

Dilbert_X wrote:

Set aside for the moment the invasion of Iraq. America spends more on defense than the rest of the industrialized world combined, not because it is inherently militaristic, but because the United States is the enforcer of the international system. American military power overlays every region of the planet, restraining belligerents and preventing arms races from East Asia to Latin America. That, in turn, enables globalization to proceed, even in these troubled times for the world economy.
I call bullshit, the US protects its interests, thats it.
Our interests are taking over the world, you fool.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone

Vilham wrote:

Lol, when countries like Greece come before the UK in political environment you know something is wrong with the data they are using.

So the UK had 65% voter turn out in the last election yet score 5/10 on their scale...
Australia has a 95% participation rate (the highest in the world) yet only scores 7.78.

mtb0minime wrote:

How is Australia's quality of life so high if there are bandwidth caps!?
According to http://www.speedtest.net my DL Speed is 3 times the global average, and although my 120GB isn't unlimited it's more then I'll ever use.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6632|Finland

Apparently Newsweek may have mixed things up a bit. Switzerland might be No.1 and Finland No.2, scoring 89.3 and 89.0 respectively. According to news sources, they're looking in to it at Newsweek.

Makes more sense to me tbh.
I need around tree fiddy.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6474|6 6 4 oh, I forget

As you know, no.2 is no.1
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6474|Kakanien

Dilbert_X wrote:

How does having a big military make life better for you?
+ how does playing an important geopolitical role make life better for you?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

DrunkFace wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Lol, when countries like Greece come before the UK in political environment you know something is wrong with the data they are using.

So the UK had 65% voter turn out in the last election yet score 5/10 on their scale...
Australia has a 95% participation rate (the highest in the world) yet only scores 7.78.

mtb0minime wrote:

According to http://www.speedtest.net my DL Speed is 3 times the global average, and although my 120GB isn't unlimited it's more then I'll ever use.
Don't you get fined if you don't vote in Aus
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6150|'straya

Cybargs wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Vilham wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

Don't you get fined if you don't vote in Aus
Yeah, but if you don't want to vote for anyone you just donkey vote
jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.
Compulsive voting and internet restrictions are 2 blows to an otherwise great country to emmigrate to.

Whoever you vote for are going to do pretty much the same thing as the other party. You should have the freedom to sit at home for the duration of the voting period and play with yourself.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6566|Area 51

Sydney wrote:

They forgot Iceland completely, what a bunch of idiots.
Hahaha

lol'd
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

I didn't say it does, I said you guys all rely on our big military. It makes your life better. I have a great standard of living btw, according to the list better than the average German. In any case
Looking again at the NEWSWEEK list, the “best” countries tend to be small, homogenous, and fairly harmless: Finland (No. 1), Switzerland, Sweden. All wonderful places—but they are nations that have almost no geopolitical role to speak of and never will. They’re just too tiny. Yet in the category of “large”—read significant—countries, the United States still finishes handily ahead of China in every major index, including economic dynamism, education, health, and “political environment.”
1. Finland -5,313,399
2. switzerland- 7,647,675
3. Sweden- 9,219,637
4. Australia - 21,431,800
5. Luxemberg - 488,650
6. Norway - 4,768,212
7. Canada -33,311,400
8. Netherlands - 16,445,593
9. Japan - 127,704,000
10. Denmark- 5,493,621
Total - a bit over 227,500,000
U.S. population 300,000,000

Despite carrying the world's military burden and having one of the largest populations and people to be accountable for we still are way a head of the vast majority of states on the planet. Since the U.S. scored a 85 compared to Finland 89, it's not a stretch to figure that, if we didn't have to keep the world stable and spent more of our money on ourselves we could be #1 or #2, even if we have 60 times Finlands population.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
The US doesn't carry 'the world's military burden', the US just looks after its own interests.
Most of what the US spends on the military is recycled straight back into the US economy.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-08-18 05:49:55)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6454|The Twilight Zone

Macbeth wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

I didn't say it does, I said you guys all rely on our big military. It makes your life better. I have a great standard of living btw, according to the list better than the average German. In any case
Looking again at the NEWSWEEK list, the “best” countries tend to be small, homogenous, and fairly harmless: Finland (No. 1), Switzerland, Sweden. All wonderful places—but they are nations that have almost no geopolitical role to speak of and never will. They’re just too tiny. Yet in the category of “large”—read significant—countries, the United States still finishes handily ahead of China in every major index, including economic dynamism, education, health, and “political environment.”
1. Finland -5,313,399
3. Sweden- 9,219,637
5. Luxemberg - 488,650
6. Norway - 4,768,212
7. Canada -33,311,400
9. Japan - 127,704,000
10. Denmark- 5,493,621

Despite carrying the world's military burden and having one of the largest populations and people to be accountable for we still are way a head of the vast majority of states on the planet. Since the U.S. scored a 85 compared to Finland 89, it's not a stretch to figure that, if we didn't have to keep the world stable and spent more of our money on ourselves we could be #1 or #2, even if we have 60 times Finlands population.
You get lots of oil and other minerals in return. Don't be blinded by your "generosity".
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6742

suck shit cunts, i'm a fucking winner
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471

.Sup wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

1. Finland -5,313,399
3. Sweden- 9,219,637
5. Luxemberg - 488,650
6. Norway - 4,768,212
7. Canada -33,311,400
9. Japan - 127,704,000
10. Denmark- 5,493,621

You get lots of oil and other minerals in return. Don't be blinded by your "generosity".
indeed. nobody is asking - or even WANTING - you guys to be our 'world police'.

using your militaristic and industrial-military spending and its 'drain' on your quality of life as an excuse is weak, tbh.

helps you conveniently ignore some home-truths, though, i suppose...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
.Sup
be nice

Jestar wrote:

suck shit cunts, i'm a fucking winner
You've won the Afghani national lottery? Gratz you can now afford yourself a pair of new shoes. Fakes but still new.
Graphic-J
The Artist formerly known as GraphicArtist-J
+196|6127|So Cal
Small Countries... is really no real comparison to bigger countries.  Newsweek fail.
https://i44.tinypic.com/28vg66s.jpg
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6632|Finland

Graphic-J wrote:

Small Countries... is really no real comparison to bigger countries.  Newsweek fail.
I'm sure E.g. China would be no.1 in a study called "Best country that is really big, located in Asia and has over one billion inhabitants and is China".

There are many different sizes of countries in the world. I know this may come as a shock to you.
I need around tree fiddy.
.Sup
be nice

DonFck wrote:

Graphic-J wrote:

I'm sure E.g. China would be no.1 in a study called "Best country that is really big, located in Asia and has over one billion inhabitants and is China".

There are many different sizes of countries in the world. I know this may come as a shock to you.
hehe I also, when I read his post, thought of China
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6543|Texas - Bigger than France
Only a few points separate the tops.

Its like arguing over which Olsen twin you'd rather bang.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
It's the one with the head
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6655

Pug wrote:

Neither because they're both anorexic and more pale than my ass?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

These lists are all so funny, as if you can quantify something like 'the world's best countries.'

It would be interesting to see the immigration/migration rates for those countries.
.Sup
be nice
"After the Mormon Tabernacle Choir performing Gypsy music from Slovenia under the direction of a Japanese conductor"
what the fu..
Gypsies have their music so it doesn't matter if the mormons are performing Gypo music from Slovenia or Romania
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6543|Texas - Bigger than France

mtb0minime wrote:

Pug wrote:

Neither because they're both anorexic and more pale than my ass?
tough, you have to choose.

nihilism isn't an option.
Shem
sɥǝɯ
+152|6528|London (At Heart)

Lol at some yanks getting all defensive as they weren't top of the list

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard