Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5371|London, England

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I live in the largest city in America and your view is just plain wrong. The people that surround me are even more likely to put their head down and grasp simple pleasures in life rather than take the time out of their day to educate themselves. No, if anything, what you get in cities is a firmer grasp of mob mentality. People are more likely to attach themselves to a group and mindlessly follow the groupthink than think for themselves. They're misguided and not to be admired in the slightest.
I'm not disputing human nature.  Yes, the average person is a sheep, but I find it very hard to believe that the average person who lives in the middle of nowhere is going to be better informed than the average person living in a large city.

JohnG@lt wrote:

The man I admire is one who lives away from society and can form his own opinions on a topic without becoming a sheep. From isolation comes real thought, not from immersion.
From what I've observed, isolation just tends to make a person more extremist.  People generally hold more moderate views when they interact with a variety of viewpoints.

When someone has mostly experienced the same views all of his life or has only introspectively viewed the world around him rather than having actually discussed things with others on a regular basis, that tends to make a man much more dogmatic.
Society, especially a close society like that which I live in here in NYC doesn't moderate anyone, it simply forces them to conform. You have an overwhelming desire to conform. Thus, the city appeals to you. I do not and hate it.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6418|North Carolina

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I live in the largest city in America and your view is just plain wrong. The people that surround me are even more likely to put their head down and grasp simple pleasures in life rather than take the time out of their day to educate themselves. No, if anything, what you get in cities is a firmer grasp of mob mentality. People are more likely to attach themselves to a group and mindlessly follow the groupthink than think for themselves. They're misguided and not to be admired in the slightest.
I'm not disputing human nature.  Yes, the average person is a sheep, but I find it very hard to believe that the average person who lives in the middle of nowhere is going to be better informed than the average person living in a large city.

JohnG@lt wrote:

The man I admire is one who lives away from society and can form his own opinions on a topic without becoming a sheep. From isolation comes real thought, not from immersion.
From what I've observed, isolation just tends to make a person more extremist.  People generally hold more moderate views when they interact with a variety of viewpoints.

When someone has mostly experienced the same views all of his life or has only introspectively viewed the world around him rather than having actually discussed things with others on a regular basis, that tends to make a man much more dogmatic.
Society, especially a close society like that which I live in here in NYC doesn't moderate anyone, it simply forces them to conform. You have an overwhelming desire to conform. Thus, the city appeals to you. I do not and hate it.
I guess this is one of those things where the city itself matters.  Greensboro might be in the middle of the Bible Belt, but we're fairly diverse in viewpoints.  So is Raleigh.  So is Charlotte.

Maybe NYC is on the extreme end of conformity.  That's quite possible.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

I guess this is one of those things where the city itself matters.  Greensboro might be in the middle of the Bible Belt, but we're fairly diverse in viewpoints.  So is Raleigh.  So is Charlotte.

NYC is one of those places where the people vote the same way their father voted and they don't understand why. They'll take up causes without understanding the root causes or the consequences of their actions.

Case in point. There is a North Brooklyn Open Space Alliance that has put on concerts all summer in order to raise money for, well, creating open space. Superficially this sounds like an extremely worthy cause right? Well, the hipsters that settled in Brooklyn did so to escape the high rent of Manhattan while creating their own community of poor artists who wouldn't quite starve as much as they would've in Manhattan. Now, by creating parks and other crap, they're going to drive up the cost of living in their own neighborhood and make their situation untenable. By limiting space for development it necessarily drives up property values, which in turn drives up rent. They're sowing the seeds of their own destruction but the few of them that bought brownstones and other property instead of simply living the starving artists dream will profit handsomely.

Then there is rent control and numerous other grand ideas that have backfired over the years because some idiot had a dream, sold it on emotion without real understanding, and then instead of admitting he was wrong, doubled down on it and made the situation even worse. Every action that the liberal mass has taken in NYC to alleviate the poor has instead made them poorer, more isolated, and less likely to 'get out'.

This might appeal to you, but I like logic far more than I like groupthink, especially flawed groupthink.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

NYC is one of those places where the people vote the same way their father voted and they don't understand why. They'll take up causes without understanding the root causes or the consequences of their actions.

Case in point. There is a North Brooklyn Open Space Alliance that has put on concerts all summer in order to raise money for, well, creating open space. Superficially this sounds like an extremely worthy cause right? Well, the hipsters that settled in Brooklyn did so to escape the high rent of Manhattan while creating their own community of poor artists who wouldn't quite starve as much as they would've in Manhattan. Now, by creating parks and other crap, they're going to drive up the cost of living in their own neighborhood and make their situation untenable. By limiting space for development it necessarily drives up property values, which in turn drives up rent. They're sowing the seeds of their own destruction but the few of them that bought brownstones and other property instead of simply living the starving artists dream will profit handsomely.
Heh...  well, I would argue the whole "starving artist" idea is the problem to begin with.  What hipsters don't realize is that the majority of artists who actually make it have had connections.  In truth, art is mostly a luxury of the rich.  We simply glamorize those few artists that reach notoriety but die before they can profit from it.

JohnG@lt wrote:

Then there is rent control and numerous other grand ideas that have backfired over the years because some idiot had a dream, sold it on emotion without real understanding, and then instead of admitting he was wrong, doubled down on it and made the situation even worse. Every action that the liberal mass has taken in NYC to alleviate the poor has instead made them poorer, more isolated, and less likely to 'get out'.

This might appeal to you, but I like logic far more than I like groupthink, especially flawed groupthink.
Oh I completely agree on rent control.  When one of the most liberal friends I know started explaining how screwed up it really is, I knew it was a bad thing.
Phrozenbot
+632|6629|do not disturb

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Don't confuse education level with intelligence. I know a lot of dumb fuck college grads. I also know quite a few genius rednecks.
Intelligence is surely not synonymous with education, but it does help.  Wisdom is a more common sense grounded intelligence that many less educated people have as well.  So we mostly agree on this point, however...

A lot of people are both uneducated and clueless.  The hockey mom types really are sheltered from world affairs, and most rednecks don't know much beyond what affects their day to day life.  Granted, the same could be said for a lot of inner city poor.

The importance of education is that it can help someone with average perception and average intelligence comprehend more esoteric topics like foreign policy.  That's how an uninformed voter becomes informed.  So, the net effect of better education for the masses is having a better informed voter base.
Foreign policy is esoteric? When I think of esoteric I think of metaphysics, philosophy, occult religions etc.

Generally speaking, the more metropolitan an area is, the more informed the average person is.  That might sound elitist, but it's mostly true.
It is elitist, and it is also not true. Educated types have terrible ideas on our government and foreign policy. That attitude shouldn't be taken seriously.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Are you starting to get why people like SenorToenails and myself, people who actually think semi-rationally, want to flee this godawful state posthaste? There is a very good reason that people in their late 20s and early 30s are fleeing as fast as they possibly can to other states.
-Frederick Bastiat
Phrozenbot
+632|6629|do not disturb

Is it just New York? Personally I think the whole east coast is rather smug.
Turquoise
O Canada

Phrozenbot wrote:

Foreign policy is esoteric? When I think of esoteric I think of metaphysics, philosophy, occult religions etc.
For the average person, it really is.  I'm using the term also in the context of anything that is well beyond their immediate sphere of interests.

Try discussing foreign policy with a random person in a bar.  It usually just leads to a puzzled expression....  lol

Phrozenbot wrote:

It is elitist, and it is also not true. Educated types have terrible ideas on our government and foreign policy. That attitude shouldn't be taken seriously.
If they are Ivory Tower types, yes.  If they are actively engaged in studying or applying policy, not usually.

Education doesn't make a person immune to the dogmatic results of discussing issues with only like-minded individuals.  Since many circles of academia can seriously lack in a diversity of viewpoints, dogma can result.

However, I can assure you that a city like Charlotte presents enough diversity of opinions that the average person there will be considerably more informed than the average person in a podunk place like a city near me called Kernersville.

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-08-13 08:43:37)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Phrozenbot wrote:

San Francisco isn't smug? LA? Seattle? I'd say it's even worse out there. Boston is a college town and Philly is blue collar. New York is a mix of people wanting to become billionaires and San Francisco type lefties
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

Phrozenbot wrote:

That definitely depends on the city.  Chapel Hill is smug.  Fayetteville is redneck as hell.   And Durham....  is about as ghetto as it gets.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5272|foggy bottom
I dont think ive ever been in a military town as depressing as fayetteville

my first impression of north carolina was at the taco bell close to the airport I went to.  the chick at the counter had a beard and a deeper voice than i did.

Last edited by eleven bravo (2010-08-13 08:48:04)

Tu Stultus Es
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6484

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Heh...  well, I would argue the whole "starving artist" idea is the problem to begin with.  What hipsters don't realize is that the majority of artists who actually make it have had connections.  In truth, art is mostly a luxury of the rich.  We simply glamorize those few artists that reach notoriety but die before they can profit from it.
i believe in the gilded era, jazz age and up to the 50's/60's pop-art phase artists could just stroll to city hall with a painting of theirs as proof of their trade, say they're living in a neighbourhood, and they'd get a little plaque - 'artist in residence' or something - and would pick-up a nice healthy maintenance cheque. personally, think what you will of art, but i think that's a bloody great idea. state-sponsorship or patronage of art and culture is a very important thing. good on new york! andy warhol et al profited from this nicely.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Turquoise
O Canada

eleven bravo wrote:

They don't call it Fayettenam for nothing...  lol
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6143|North Tonawanda, NY

JohnG@lt wrote:

Are you starting to get why people like SenorToenails and myself, people who actually think semi-rationally, want to flee this godawful state posthaste? There is a very good reason that people in their late 20s and early 30s are fleeing as fast as they possibly can to other states.
This.  I will hopefully be out of this shithole within a year...yay me!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

The one outside lostinthewoods was awful. It had like two strip clubs, three pawn shops and a gas station.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

my first impression of south carolina was at the taco bell close to the airport I went to.  the chick at the counter had a beard and a deeper voice than i did.
Did you buy fireworks?
-Frederick Bastiat
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6143|North Tonawanda, NY

Phrozenbot wrote:

Just about everyone I've met from the West Coast (Seattle in particular) has been insanely smug...it's probably just that people are smug everywhere.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

i believe in the gilded era, jazz age and up to the 50's/60's pop-art phase artists could just stroll to city hall with a painting of theirs as proof of their trade, say they're living in a neighbourhood, and they'd get a little plaque - 'artist in residence' or something - and would pick-up a nice healthy maintenance cheque. personally, think what you will of art, but i think that's a bloody great idea. state-sponsorship or patronage of art and culture is a very important thing. good on new york! andy warhol et al profited from this nicely.
I can't think of a more ruinous waste of money than this... I could take a shit on a piece of canvas and call it art as long as I have the skills of a salesman.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5272|foggy bottom
there were two malls in fayettevill.  one that looked like a shitty mall no different than killeen's and the other had about 6 open stores and a movie theater
Tu Stultus Es
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6750|Oxferd Ohire
i dont get why black people can call me their nigger but i have to be cautious to ever say the word around them.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
eleven bravo
+1,399|5272|foggy bottom
I should have said north carolina instead of south
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

there were two malls in fayettevill.  one that looked like a shitty mall no different than killeen's and the other had about 6 open stores and a movie theater
Killeen had a mall? I just remember the strip malls along 190.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5272|foggy bottom

JohnG@lt wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

yeah, had a dillards and a sears and spencers and everything
Tu Stultus Es
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6665|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

Now this is an analogy I can buy into.
I don't know why the left is so enraged by her, she's nothing more than the counter to the Obama madness that this country experienced two years ago. His ride to office was fueled by nothing more than emotion. She's doing the exact same thing.
Because for better of for worse she is a threat to liberal entitlement. Problem is, they have nothing on her, I mean shit, they tried to make an issue out her writing crib notes on her hands during speeches, while Obama gets a pass by having teleprompter speak for him. Go figure.

there was one guy in here trying to make a big deal out of a teenage pregnancy within the Palin family, using this as reason for her lack of parenting skills and leadership. I pointed out that leadership is when you own up to your responsibilities, in Palin case, the family did by keeping the baby. I don't think I got a response to that. All it shows is how desperate they are to bring her down using any means fair or unfair, real or imagined they can.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

yeah, had a dillards and a sears and spencers and everything
Oh, ok, now I remember it. The mall outside of Fort Gordon was pretty nice. The Killeen one was ghetto
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard