lowing
Banned
+1,662|6642|USA
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/08/13/d … tml?hpt=C1

So Dr Laura talking with a black woman says the "N word" that would appear to have been completely in context with the discussion. However the black woman on the phone, of course, was offended. Never acknowleding the point Dr. Laura was trying to make.
Dr Laura then, in an effort to bow to PC goes on the air to apologize. Does she really owe an apology to anyone for this conversation? I think not.

Is Dr Laura now a considered a racist for this bullshit? Of course Al Sharpton thinks so.

Last edited by lowing (2010-08-13 05:15:36)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6665|Canberra, AUS
I think the "don't marry out of your race" comment is worse tbh.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6642|USA

Spark wrote:

I think the "don't marry out of your race" comment is worse tbh.
But in context to the discussion I do not think so. all she said, was if you are going to see racism everywhere and in every comment, and be so sensitive about every little thing regarding it, don't marry outside of your race. Sounds like sound advice to me.
Spark
+874|6665|Canberra, AUS
I mean I wouldn't call it "sound advice" to someone you don't know and can't even see, but yeah it's very thin-skinned. My point is that that comment could be taken to be more offensive than the other one. Context does actually matter, often more than the words used. I'd call it silly (never advisable to use that word in public) but not malicious and that's what counts.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6642|USA

Spark wrote:

I mean I wouldn't call it "sound advice" to someone you don't know and can't even see, but yeah it's very thin-skinned. My point is that that comment could be taken to be more offensive than the other one. Context does actually matter, often more than the words used. I'd call it silly (never advisable to use that word in public) but not malicious and that's what counts.
You do realize the caller herself used the "N word" as well right? Played right into what Dr Laura was talking about and proved her correct.
Spark
+874|6665|Canberra, AUS

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

You do realize the caller herself used the "N word" as well right? Played right into what Dr Laura was talking about and proved her correct.
As I said the caller is very thin-skinned and blatantly hypocritical. But I wouldn't have said the words nonetheless. Not saying she was wrong to do so, but unfortunately you always have to expect something like this if you do it.
~ Richard Feynman
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6642|USA

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

As I said the caller is very thin-skinned and blatantly hypocritical. But I wouldn't have said the words nonetheless. Not saying she was wrong to do so, but unfortunately you always have to expect something like this if you do it.
I think she or anyone else should not be afraid to use the "N word" in the context of a discussion such as this, for it is not wrong. What is wrong is the hypersensitivity, and the hypocrisy of of it.. This is what should be acknowledged if not addressed.

Last edited by lowing (2010-08-13 05:41:44)

SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6121|North Tonawanda, NY
Holy Hypersensitivity Batman!

I thought that Dr. Laura's abrasiveness in this case was no different than normal...
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6642|USA

SenorToenails wrote:

I thought that Dr. Laura's abrasiveness in this case was no different than normal...
Question is, is she wrong in what she said or how she said it? Does she owe anyone an apology?

Last edited by lowing (2010-08-13 05:55:23)

Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6533|Texas - Bigger than France
If it offends you, then the apology was meant for you...just in case.

If it doesn't offend you, then nothing happened?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6642|USA

Pug wrote:

If it offends you, then the apology was meant for you...just in case.

If it doesn't offend you, then nothing happened?
No offense but that is a chickshit answer..........Did Dr. Laura say anything worng that deserves an apology to anyone?

Address the hypocrisy of the conversation when the caller uses the exact same word in the exact same context that Dr. Laura used it.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6533|Texas - Bigger than France
This is a black and white issue where it's either right or wrong.  Fuck sensitivity.  And fuck being polite.

What you are calling "chickenshit" is what the actual issue is...an apology "just in case".  Instead you hoping for some race war...when there's really not even anything to discuss.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6642|USA

Pug wrote:

This is a black and white issue where it's either right or wrong.  Fuck sensitivity.  And fuck being polite.

What you are calling "chickenshit" is what the actual issue is...an apology "just in case".  Instead you hoping for some race war...when there's really not even anything to discuss.
you are right this is a black and white issue......Which side of it do you fall on? Either an apology is warranted or it is not. There is no "just in case apology".
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6396|North Carolina
Words only have as much power as people give them.  That's something certain people need to figure out eventually.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

lowing wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Question is, is she wrong in what she said or how she said it?
From what I heard, no.  Dr Laura pointed out (in her usual blunt fashion) that taking offense to the 'N-word' is hypocritical if the black community at large allows it to be used within itself.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6642|USA

Turquoise wrote:

Words only have as much power as people give them.  That's something certain people need to figure out eventually.
Although I have always love it when you wax philosophical. This time, how about answering the questions? For once pick a side. Does Dr Laura owe apologies?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6642|USA

SenorToenails wrote:

lowing wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Question is, is she wrong in what she said or how she said it?
From what I heard, no.  Dr Laura pointed out (in her usual blunt fashion) that taking offense to the 'N-word' is hypocritical if the black community at large allows it to be used within itself.
Agreed, now, how on earth did this hypocrisy take hold, where words are offensive or not, based on the race using them. Is it not racist to even adhere to such a position or attitude?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6396|North Carolina

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Although I have always love it when you wax philosophical. This time, how about answering the questions? For once pick a side. Does Dr Laura owe apologies?
No.  In fact, no one ever owes someone an apology unless they break a law.  There is no law against using that word, so Dr. Laura is free to choose whether she wants to apologize out of courtesy or not.

As long as black people use that word, they can expect other people to use that word as well.  While context is still important, the shallow sensitivity they have with this word is bullshit.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

lowing wrote:

Agreed, now, how on earth did this hypocrisy take hold, where words are offensive or not, based on the race using them. Is it not racist to even adhere to such a position or attitude?
To allow words to be used by only a particular group while taking offense to any other groups usage is hypocritical for sure.  It also needlessly discriminates, so I guess you could call it racism...but it's racist in a weird way.  Kind of like saying "Only we can denigrate ourselves!".  I think it's stupid and inconsistant more than anything else.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6642|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

No.  In fact, no one ever owes someone an apology unless they break a law.  There is no law against using that word, so Dr. Laura is free to choose whether she wants to apologize out of courtesy or not.

As long as black people use that word, they can expect other people to use that word as well.  While context is still important, the shallow sensitivity they have with this word is bullshit.
Thank you Turquoise. Although I gotta tell ya, you put a new spin on apologies that I have never thought of before. Apologies tied to the law only. I gotta ponder that one.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5348|London, England
Who the fuck is Dr. Laura?

And more importantly, is she hot?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Turquoise wrote:

What?  Wouldn't an apology only be warranted when the offending party actually feels that they did a wrongdoing?  Where the hell did breaking the law come into that?
Spark
+874|6665|Canberra, AUS

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Thank you Turquoise. Although I gotta tell ya, you put a new spin on apologies that I have never thought of before. Apologies tied to the law only. I gotta ponder that one.
I think he's saying unless legally obliged no one can make you apologise.
~ Richard Feynman
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

JohnG@lt wrote:

Who the fuck is Dr. Laura?

And more importantly, is she hot?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Schlessinger

https://www.boxturtlebulletin.com/btb/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/dr-laura.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5348|London, England
Not hot, so who cares what she has to say?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard