Blade4509
Wrench turnin' fool
+202|5507|America
How are you liking Mw2 so far miggle?
"Raise the flag high! Let the degenerates know who comes to claim their lives this day!"
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
hahaha i love the day when the casual gamers on this forum can call out miggle and he has no comeback
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6466

DesertFox- wrote:

I'm curious as to what the story will be. It seems to suggest another utopian dream gone awry, but who knows. The big daddies are apparently cyborgs for some reason, but they're still calling it Bioshock, so I reckon it won't be any sort of leap like the sort of System Shock 2 --> Bioshock seemed to be (in spirit).

EDIT: Actually, a quick glance on Wikipedia satiates my needs for now.
Aero-Shock?
bennisboy
+829|6644|Poundland

gamesradar.com wrote:

Following a teaser trailer revealing its super-secret, much speculated over, and eagerly anticipated BioShock follow-up, Irrational Games' real-life Big Daddy, Ken Levine, stated, “so obviously you’re not in Rapture anymore.” Talk about an understatement. More spiritual successor than sequel, BioShock Infinite takes gamers above - far above - the doomed underwater utopia to Columbia, a city in the sky. This floating World’s Fair of sorts, constructed on hot air-powered airships was “designed to demonstrate to the world by example the founding democratic principles of the United States , the product of American ideals, endeavor and industry.” explained Levine.

Like BioShock’s soggy city, though, things are not as they seem in Columbia. As the story goes, the majestic city in the sky was secretly armed to the teeth, a “Death Star” as Levine put it. This led to a mysterious and disastrous international incident that saw the government disavowing Columbia, forcing it to go rogue and disappear into the clouds. Fast forward to 1912; you’re Booker DeWitt, a disgraced former Pinkerton agent with a reputation for “getting things done,” who’s hired to seek out the skyward metropolis and rescue Elizabeth, apparently a woman of great importance.
Our demo opens with DeWitt’s arrival in Columbia, a beautiful place evoking a strong patriotic vibe; think turn-of-the-century Americana, 4th of July, and Main Street brimming with red, white and blue pride. Of course, Columbia resides within BioShock’s universe, so despite practically being able to smell the apple pie cooling on granny’s window sill, this place is more like a Norman Rockwell painting from Hell. We get a taste of this as DeWitt strolls by an almost catatonic man dragging a newspaper cart with a missing wheel. The oddly expressionless figure and his lame cart - its metal wheel housing sparking against the cobblestones - effectively sets our spines tingling in the same way the woman crooning to the gun in the baby carriage did in Bioshock’s opening moments.

From this point, our stroll through town only gets creepier; a woman sweeps the porch of a flame-engulfed grocery store, seemingly oblivious to the blinding blaze nipping at her backside; black crows compete with flies to feast on a horse carcass; and, taking the prize for most disturbing scene in Columbia, a crazed politician preaches to absolutely no one in a town square. Surrounded by barrels of guns, this Uncle Sam-looking madman encourages us to take up arms against foreigners right before he flashes in and out of some strange blink-and-you’ll-miss-it transformation, identifies DeWitt as an enemy, brandishes a hook, and uses said hand claw to flee via Columbia’s zip line-like rail system.
If there’s any doubt we’re not in Kansas - or Rapture - anymore, this mind-screwing scene squashed it like an Adam-oozing slug under a Big Daddy’s boot. From here, DeWitt grabs a sniper rifle from one of the barrels and treats us to some of Infinite’s FPS gameplay. Separated by the rail system, which Irrational’s Lead Artist Shawn Roberston later describes as the “Skyline, which was originally meant for carrying freight around the city, but has been repurposed for the people to transport themselves.” , DeWitt scopes in on a distant cannon-firing baddie. The ensuing exchange is less about showing off the gunplay than displaying Columbia’s sky-stretching expansiveness, again reminding we’re no longer in Rapture’s suffocating confines.

With hot lead properly placed in his enemy’s skull, DeWitt takes to the Skyline with some hesitation and soon lands in another part of Columbia. He enters a saloon where he’s stared at suspiciously by its armed patrons just before using a Plasmid-like telekinesis power to strip some hooligan of his shotgun. In doing so, he also offers a neat little you-couldn’t-do-this-in-Rapture nod by actually firing the hand cannon while it’s still floating toward his grip. But this was nothing compared to his next trick; unleashing a power that makes BioShock’s bee swarms look about as menacing as a lone mosquito, he conjures a room-eclipsing flock of crows to finish his fight, the assumed result of a tonic we’d  sipped earlier dubbed Murder of Crows. The birds’ blackness swallowing up the screen makes for an impressively macabre, chaotic, and deadly display that instantly has us counting the days till we can sample some of this killer-bird cocktail for ourselves.
The concluding moments of the demo offer an almost dizzying display of powers, characters, and plot points that our brains are still struggling to decipher.  In the wake of the saloon massacre we meet Elizabeth, who soon reveals some baddie-blasting powers of her own. At one point DeWitt combines his apparent  ability to shoot electricity from his fingertips with her power to summon a storm cloud, resulting in a half dozen or so foes being fried by shooting lightning - take that Electrobolt Plasmid! We then witness DeWitt and his new weather-controlling sidekick unleash a similarly devastating offense against a bizarre robot-like baddie; the towering menace, which we’re pretty sure could take a Big Daddy in a fight, was a weird cross between a gorilla and a mech, save for its exposed human face which resembled that of an old timey boxer, complete with waxed hair parted severely down the middle and a curly mustache - like we said, bizarre. DeWitt and Elizabeth take on this behemoth with a collaborative effort that seems to have him shooting a large ball that she constructed - telepathically, of course - from pipes, pots, pans, and other metallic objects.

Finishing with a fade-to-black cliffhanger, the demo leaves our protagonists at the mercy of an enormous black, winged creature that wouldn’t look out of place battling Godzilla atop a Tokyo skyscraper. Needless to say, our time with Infinite left us with more questions than answers, and its brain-bending impact will no doubt take up residence in our minds until Irrational decides to share more with us. This early reveal was all about introducing Columbia, explaining its backstory, and teasing what promises to be a twisted tale on par with BioShock’s engaging yarn. The studio is revealing few, if any, details on pretty much everything except the set-up and setting; many of our questions were met with “We’re not talking about that right now.” responses. Still, there are some seemingly obvious defining features involving Plasmid-like powers as well as some sort of sharing of these abilities between DeWitt and Elizabeth. Additionally, Columbia seems to be populated by its fair share of freaks harboring deadly secrets and devious motives. But many more subtle mysteries, like the reason Elizabeth’s nose bleeds after helping DeWitt, will keep are brains busy until what already looks like another winner from Irrational Games hits in 2012.
Sounds promising to me. I'm looking forward to it. Good change of scenery, new abilities, and hopefully a bit of a gameplay change-up. I still need to complete the second one
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Holy fuck! MUST GET.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

FloppY_ wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Phatmatt wrote:

Well It's on my to get list now.
comments like this baffle me.
Meh.. considering all the people who payed for COD:MW2, I am not suprised... people that buy games for their teaser trailers are morons tbh...
Seriously? It's Bioshock, and for once the environment doesn't look dank and rusty like just every other video game on the market. I don't see what your beef is.

Trailers are as good as you're going to get without extensive screenshots, interviews and a demo. Some people would rather not have it spoiled.

Morons in-fucking-deed.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6284|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Miggle wrote:

comments like this baffle me.
Meh.. considering all the people who payed for COD:MW2, I am not suprised... people that buy games for their teaser trailers are morons tbh...
Seriously? It's Bioshock, and for once the environment doesn't look dank and rusty like just every other video game on the market. I don't see what your beef is.

Trailers are as good as you're going to get without extensive screenshots, interviews and a demo. Some people would rather not have it spoiled.

Morons in-fucking-deed.
Well gameplay in the first two bioshocks was hardly anything worth praising...
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I beg to differ on that matter. Haven't dug into BS2, but had hours of fun with the first one. My only complaint is that the big daddies were a bit too easy.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5751|Roma
I felt like Bioshock didn't need a sequel.
I didn't touch Bioshock2.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
FloppY_
­

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I beg to differ on that matter. Haven't dug into BS2, but had hours of fun with the first one. My only complaint is that the big daddies were a bit too easy.
I had to push myself through the first one, if I wasn't so damn bored in my dorm I'd have uninstalled it before even finishing it...

Gameplay and handling feels very bad, obviously poorly coded mouse controls just taped on the existing console stick controls...

Very boring to play through imo

aerodynamic wrote:

I felt like Bioshock didn't need a sequel.
I didn't touch Bioshock2.
You didn't miss anything you haven't done in Bioshock 1 tbh...
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6270
Wow, the falling in the trailer gave me chills.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6536|Long Island, New York

This'll probably get taken down because it's really only available over XBL right now, but holy SHIT. That looks INCREDIBLE.

The lack of a HUD (hopefully permanent) really helps with the immersion, and the whole city itself is absolutely gorgeous. I wasn't a big fan of Bioshock 2 but man, this looks like it can bring me back in.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6466
Those must be some long ass loading tubes.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5963|London, England

Sorry I was late

My eyes just got pecked out by crows
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6740|FUCK UBISOFT

mean blackbird out there.

really went for the eyes.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
FloppY_
­
I don't know what it is about it, but for some reason I'm dissapointed to see plasmids in this game

And by the looks of the trailer, there is alot of scripting tying you down every 10 seconds

This'll probably be another "try not buy" for me... definately not buying before trying considering how boring the first two were...
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6688|Tampa Bay Florida

Some thoughts about this series...

The first Bioshock was easily the most "fresh".  The atmosphere, narrative structure, level design etc. were pretty groundbreaking at the time.  However, the game for me kind of fell apart in the last third.  It just got stretched out a little too much, and by the time I killed Andrew Ryan I was kind of secretly glad it was over.  Just not very well paced.

I believed Bioshock 2 would be a sell out, as uzi said.  While the story started out pretty slow and the return to Rapture seemed stale at first, I believe it had much better pacing and story (which is, after all, why you play Bioshock).  I just felt more emotionally connected with the characters.  The combat was also much better than the first.  So Bioshock 2 was weird, because it felt and looked like a sell-out while actually being a superior game.   

When I first saw the Infinite videos a while back I thought I would go ahead and skip this one.  But the closer it gets to release the more pumped I'm getting.  Columbia seems to be much more open and bright than Rapture, which was too often dark and claustrophobic.  The skyhook mechanic looked stupid at first but after watching some vids it looks like it's going to really change the way the player interacts with the environment.  they've also hired two excellent voice actors, which will add humanity and warmth to the formula.

Last edited by Spearhead (2012-12-07 14:50:28)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Anyone else getting tired of MURICA games?
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6688|Tampa Bay Florida
Video games in general seem to be designed by people with 10th grade english skills and 9th grade history knowledge.  Ken Levine is actually a pretty smart guy. 

pc gamer wrote:

With its fiction, Infinite lays bare the worst of American history: racism, sexism, class warfare, secessionism, and the dangers of nationalism. But masterfully, it expresses these concepts without being heavy-handed. Walking Columbia, citizens’ deeply-entrenched racism is immediately evident through the comments they’ll make as you pass, but many of these are innocuous and pleasantly normal, too: I saw kids playing “finger guns” across a stairway, muttering kid-made shooting noises as they did. I also stumbled into the hidden home of abolitionists–in their living room sat a printing press for publishing posters that encouraged racial equality. What I played of Infinite avoided caricature or any kind of elbow-in-the-ribs parody, which I appreciated.

Beyond that, the game’s tableau of intellectually-challenging themes pervade its presentation. Even in the first hour, Infinite felt like it had struck a conversation with me about American history and different ideologies, an experience that still feels preciously unique to the franchise.

venturebeat wrote:

A nearby building has something different: A giant statue of Lincoln’s assassin, John Wilkes Booth, stands in the lobby. A painting in the dining room depicts Booth shooting a devil version of Lincoln. Where would you find such a statue? Unsurprisingly, it’s Columbia’s local chapter of the Ku Klux Klan … who dress in navy blue and have an occult flair. The giant emblem proclaiming “Protecting our Race” seems to be in the right place.
Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/12/07/biosh … DAIcesp.99
This shit will be fun...

Last edited by Spearhead (2012-12-07 15:10:16)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6715|Riva, MD
Too bad they postponed it another more month
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5963|London, England

games that cant stick to a schedule are never good
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Steam wrote:

* 1999 Mode – Upon finishing BioShock Infinite, the player can unlock a game mode called “1999 Mode” that gives experienced players a taste of the kind of design and balance that hardcore gamers enjoyed back in the 20th century.
Unless that's just a cleverly-renamed "hard" difficulty, it's got my interest again. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why it's now popular to make people play through lower difficulties to unlock higher difficulties, unless it's for character level and shit.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6715|Riva, MD
Keeps you playing the game for longer and therefore more likely to buy DLCs while you still have some interest in the game
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I miss the days of DOOM where you could launch Nightmare your very first time playing it, get your ass handed to you but still worm your way through the entire episode.
Sup3r_Dr4gon
Boat sig is not there anymore
+214|6325|Australia

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Steam wrote:

* 1999 Mode – Upon finishing BioShock Infinite, the player can unlock a game mode called “1999 Mode” that gives experienced players a taste of the kind of design and balance that hardcore gamers enjoyed back in the 20th century.
Unless that's just a cleverly-renamed "hard" difficulty, it's got my interest again. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why it's now popular to make people play through lower difficulties to unlock higher difficulties, unless it's for character level and shit.
I read that 1999 mode is more than just 'enemies have more health and you have less', but that it severely limits ammo and Infinite's version of plasmids and upgrades to the point that it can actually be impossible to progress if you don't play your hand right. So they hid it away in case some gamers try it thinking they'll beat it, fuck up and then say the game is bad.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard