Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I think a force of 15,000 is forgivable given Norway's responsibility for sabotaging nuclear research for Germans.
lol, not sure Norway is looking for forgiveness. It is what it is....Germany invasded, Norway surrendered ( a common theme in Europe) and some Noregiand decided that if ya can't beat them join them ( path of least resistance)....They didn't simply join the ranks of the Germans, they built their OWN axis army.
Well, Imperialist Japan defeated Korea and built an army out of their people as well, but that doesn't mean they were especially fond of the Japanese.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

burnzz wrote:

lol. [sorry, off topic and not contributing, i know - i was trying to catch up on the thread, and the replies kept coming faster than i could turn the page . . .]
THis was about the OP, and how Milton Freidman stated capitalism greed promotes greater prosperity for the masses than any other system.

It then turned to some arguing govt. regulation of the free market is essential. Varegg piped up stating Norway with its big brother thumb on its economy works perfect and its economy is thriving. basically statingh govt. is the reason for Norways economic success I stated it is an apples to oranges comparison because Norway has little comparitive affect on the worlds economy and has little involvment os of course it is not affected as much.

Then it turned to Norway letting everyone else spend their money while it kicks back and takes advantage. I used the defense of Europe and how much the US invests into it. From there it turned to Norway in WW2.

In a nutshell.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I think a force of 15,000 is forgivable given Norway's responsibility for sabotaging nuclear research for Germans.
lol, not sure Norway is looking for forgiveness. It is what it is....Germany invasded, Norway surrendered ( a common theme in Europe) and some Noregiand decided that if ya can't beat them join them ( path of least resistance)....They didn't simply join the ranks of the Germans, they built their OWN axis army.
Well, Imperialist Japan defeated Korea and built an army out of their people as well, but that doesn't mean they were especially fond of the Japanese.
Once again............THEY DID IT TOOOOOO! is an argunment for 5 year olds, and does not take away from what I orginally stated.........Noreay fought for both sides. If you wanna talk about Korea, lets.
Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Once again............THEY DID IT TOOOOOO! is an argunment for 5 year olds, and does not take away from what I orginally stated.........Noreay fought for both sides. If you wanna talk about Korea, lets.
The original context was that you said they fought for both sides due to opportunism.  In reality, they fought for both sides due to circumstance.  That's an entirely different motivation.

Motivation makes a huge difference in a lot of things.  It's like the difference between someone who joins the army voluntarily and someone who joins because they were forced to through a draft.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

The original context was that you said they fought for both sides due to opportunism.  In reality, they fought for both sides due to circumstance.  That's an entirely different motivation.

Motivation makes a huge difference in a lot of things.  It's like the difference between someone who joins the army voluntarily and someone who joins because they were forced to through a draft.
They fought for both sides because some thought they would benefit because the allies would win, some thought Germany would win. both wanted to be in a good position based on who they thought was going to win.

This is what I said. Nothing more nothing less.
Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

They fought for both sides because some thought they would benefit because the allies would win, some thought Germany would win. both wanted to be in a good position based on who they thought was going to win.

No Norwegians fought for Germany until after invasion.  The few who did make this choice after invasion were essentially doing it under duress.  That's not a simple matter of profitting from a new power.

You could make a much stronger argument that the Swiss were complicit with the Germans despite their neutrality by still accepting assets from Germans who clearly stole various items from Jewish families.

That's very different from the situation and motivations of the Norwegians.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

No Norwegians fought for Germany until after invasion.  The few who did make this choice after invasion were essentially doing it under duress.  That's not a simple matter of profitting from a new power.

You could make a much stronger argument that the Swiss were complicit with the Germans despite their neutrality by still accepting assets from Germans who clearly stole various items from Jewish families.

We already discussed the Swiss in the past. They are what they are.

yeah turquoise, the "few" you speak of was 15,000....11,000 for the allies. Dress it up anyway you want. The Norwegians, built an entire army to battle against the allies. Just as i said.
Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

yeah turquoise, the "few" you speak of was 15,000....11,000 for the allies. Dress it up anyway you want. The Norwegians, built an entire army to battle against the allies. Just as i said.
Yep, and that's still insignificant to the aid they ultimately provided the Allies via their sabotage of nuclear research.

Of all the insurgencies of WW2, that is quite possibly the most important one of all, because if the Nazies had gotten nukes before the U.S., things would've ended very badly for most of the world.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Yep, and that's still insignificant to the aid they ultimately provided the Allies via their sabotage of nuclear research.

Of all the insurgencies of WW2, that is quite possibly the most important one of all, because if the Nazies had gotten nukes before the U.S., things would've ended very badly for most of the world.
Turquoise.........Did the Norwegians fight for both sides yes or no? Was or wasn't there an Norwegian Nazi army? I siad they fought for both sides. You are acknowledging that truth. I said nothing more than that....what exaclty is the problem and why is JohnGalt so emotional?

by the way, a 15,000 man army is hardly insignificant.

Last edited by lowing (2010-08-18 10:01:57)

Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise.........Did the Norwegians fight for both sides yes or no? Was or wasn't there an Norwegian Nazi army? I siad they fought for both sides. You are acknowledging that truth. I said nothing more than that....what exaclty is the problem and why is JohnGalt so emotional?

You may have simply said they fought for the Nazies, but you implied a lot more than that with the previous dialogue.  You kept saying that Norwegians have just been "riding on the backs" of larger powers, and so it's relevant to point out that this theme wasn't so true for them during WW2.

It can be said that smaller nations can be opportunistic in the modern global economy, but for the most part, they have to be.  The advantage they have is that it's easier to maneuver through the twists and turns of the global market as a small economy, but if you don't adapt properly to these changes, you get hit a lot harder.

We saw this with Iceland.  They got screwed by changing their formerly diversified economy into one dependent on foreign capital.  When people stopped investing in them, they collapsed.

Norway just happens to be on the other end of smaller economies, because so far, they've made several shrewd decisions on how to adapt to the changes brought about by larger economies.  You can call that opportunism, but in truth, it's the only way a smaller economy can survive.

The risks we take are different from the risks countries like Norway take.  There are pros and cons to being a small economy just as there are ones for being a large economy.  All that really matters is that you make decisions that play to your strengths and minimize your weaknesses.  So far, Norway has accomplished this.

America, on the other hand, has made some serious missteps in debt management.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

You may have simply said they fought for the Nazies, but you implied a lot more than that with the previous dialogue.  You kept saying that Norwegians have just been "riding on the backs" of larger powers, and so it's relevant to point out that this theme wasn't so true for them during WW2.

It can be said that smaller nations can be opportunistic in the modern global economy, but for the most part, they have to be.  The advantage they have is that it's easier to maneuver through the twists and turns of the global market as a small economy, but if you don't adapt properly to these changes, you get hit a lot harder.

We saw this with Iceland.  They got screwed by changing their formerly diversified economy into one dependent on foreign capital.  When people stopped investing in them, they collapsed.

Norway just happens to be on the other end of smaller economies, because so far, they've made several shrewd decisions on how to adapt to the changes brought about by larger economies.  You can call that opportunism, but in truth, it's the only way a smaller economy can survive.

The risks we take are different from the risks countries like Norway take.  There are pros and cons to being a small economy just as there are ones for being a large economy.  All that really matters is that you make decisions that play to your strengths and minimize your weaknesses.  So far, Norway has accomplished this.

America, on the other hand, has made some serious missteps in debt management.
WHat they did in WW2 is a direct reflection on what I said, they fought for both sides because they had no idea who was going to win. THey rode the backs of both the axis and allied powers.

If you agree that Norways economy is smaller and has less impact than what I also said is true, regarding Vareggs gloating assertion that big govt. regulation works, because it does for them.

People here are way to emotional.
Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

WHat they did in WW2 is a direct reflection on what I said, they fought for both sides because they had no idea who was going to win. THey rode the backs of both the axis and allied powers.
A large part of why they remained neutral in the beginning was because they didn't have much of a military to speak of.  It wasn't exactly difficult for the Germans to conquer them, and Norway (along with several other countries) naively believed that Germany would respect their neutrality.  The only countries in the area that seemed to be respected as neutral were Switzerland and Ireland.  Switzerland essentially was on the Axis side in terms of investment, and geography made it difficult for anyone to conquer them.  Ireland was far away enough from the mainland that they didn't have much to worry about with the U.K. in between them and the advancing Nazies.  For all practical purposes, the U.K. was their shield.

Norway and Sweden didn't have these advantages.  Norway didn't really ride the backs of anyone, but they did get trampled on quite a bit by the Nazies.  They paid them back with the insurgency I mentioned.

lowing wrote:

If you agree that Norways economy is smaller and has less impact than what I also said is true, regarding Vareggs gloating assertion that big govt. regulation works, because it does for them.

Varegg's statement was only one that regulation can work.  Norway is an example.  He wasn't suggesting that America should implement the same policies.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6544|Texas - Bigger than France

lowing wrote:

Pug wrote:

lowing wrote:

nope, the NORWEGIANS that fought for Germany were really NORWEGIANS.  and as I said, they fought for both sides, and even more for Germany.
"In other words, you would have no problem engaging a "defense pact" with the 3rd Reich".

(A defense pact requires the government to be a different entity, not a puppet government)

"Wasn't sure who was going to win?"

(Well, explain to me how the puppet government is legitimate, and we'll talk)

You are reaching.

Germans invaded with 120,000
Norway defended with 60,000

Germans won, installed puppet government. 

New army formed was 15,000 of a population of 3 million.  Aka, the die hard Germany lovers.

According to the article you linked. 80,000 fled the country.  And 28,000 served in the services on the side of the Allies, including liberating Finland.  But lets focus on the 15,000 and the "legitimate" puppet government.

You have a twisted mind.
and out of your numbers, ONLY 11,000 fought for the allies...
but it was a NEW army now wasn't it?
15,000 fought for germany
11,000 fought for allies..

I said they fought for both sides.......Anything I said not true?
If anyone is trying to twist shit, it is you
hmmm, anything I said not true....I count at least five.

Does a defensive pact exist between one country and it's puppet?

IF the army is formed and supported by a puppet nation...what army does the army belong to?

How, after losing it's 60,000 troops in the invasion of Norway does the number become 11,000 Allied troops?

After being exiled and after several years of attrition the Norweigan forces that were fighting for the Allies was about 28,000 troops.  How did it become 11,000?

How is 60,000 troops (or 28,000 plus troops after the invasion) taking precedent over the 15,000 troops fighting for the puppet government?

You aren't simply saying "Norway fought on both sides".  Why?  Because Norway didn't exist - it was a puppet government.

I think you are being a dick to Varegg.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6455|The Twilight Zone
Quisling. 1 man isn't a country. There were traitors but people of Norway weren't it. They hated the Germans just as any other people from occupied countries (cept for the Ukrainians).
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique wrote:

what about all those pro-royalist 'collaborators' during the american civil war... all those american civilians that had english interests, whether it be in land, property or other forms of capital... or simply family loyalties. bunch of cowards, eh. EH! EH! EH!
Good point, also half of America fought for the wrong side in the Civil War -> America fought against America  -> Americans are all evil.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique wrote:

what about all those pro-royalist 'collaborators' during the american civil war... all those american civilians that had english interests, whether it be in land, property or other forms of capital... or simply family loyalties. bunch of cowards, eh. EH! EH! EH!
Good point, also half of America fought for the wrong side in the Civil War -> America fought against America  -> Americans are all evil.
i meant the revolutionary war... i obviously know the difference... just a lapse in thought as i rallied off a quick thought
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I thought you meant the revolution.
Not sure if the revolution is worse, both demonstrate Americans are not-to-be-trusted skunks to a man.

Norwegians I like.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-08-18 18:35:19)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

A large part of why they remained neutral in the beginning was because they didn't have much of a military to speak of.  It wasn't exactly difficult for the Germans to conquer them, and Norway (along with several other countries) naively believed that Germany would respect their neutrality.  The only countries in the area that seemed to be respected as neutral were Switzerland and Ireland.  Switzerland essentially was on the Axis side in terms of investment, and geography made it difficult for anyone to conquer them.  Ireland was far away enough from the mainland that they didn't have much to worry about with the U.K. in between them and the advancing Nazies.  For all practical purposes, the U.K. was their shield.

Norway and Sweden didn't have these advantages.  Norway didn't really ride the backs of anyone, but they did get trampled on quite a bit by the Nazies.  They paid them back with the insurgency I mentioned.

lowing wrote:

Varegg's statement was only one that regulation can work.  Norway is an example.  He wasn't suggesting that America should implement the same policies.
Again you offere excuses, when all I said is they did it..

Varegg said this.  "Back to the financial crisis, in Norway we have good regulations concerning this market ... hence why we had just a small hickup in comparison to most other countries ..."

He said this as if they face the same problems as a country as a major economic power. he said this as if all we have to do is follow Norway's example... I maintained they disd not have much of a crisis because they are not much involved in the world economy. Nothing more nothing less.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Pug wrote:

lowing wrote:

Pug wrote:

"In other words, you would have no problem engaging a "defense pact" with the 3rd Reich".

(A defense pact requires the government to be a different entity, not a puppet government)

"Wasn't sure who was going to win?"

(Well, explain to me how the puppet government is legitimate, and we'll talk)

You are reaching.

Germans invaded with 120,000
Norway defended with 60,000

Germans won, installed puppet government. 

New army formed was 15,000 of a population of 3 million.  Aka, the die hard Germany lovers.

According to the article you linked. 80,000 fled the country.  And 28,000 served in the services on the side of the Allies, including liberating Finland.  But lets focus on the 15,000 and the "legitimate" puppet government.

You have a twisted mind.
and out of your numbers, ONLY 11,000 fought for the allies...
but it was a NEW army now wasn't it?
15,000 fought for germany
11,000 fought for allies..

I said they fought for both sides.......Anything I said not true?
If anyone is trying to twist shit, it is you
hmmm, anything I said not true....I count at least five.

Does a defensive pact exist between one country and it's puppet?

IF the army is formed and supported by a puppet nation...what army does the army belong to?

How, after losing it's 60,000 troops in the invasion of Norway does the number become 11,000 Allied troops?

After being exiled and after several years of attrition the Norweigan forces that were fighting for the Allies was about 28,000 troops.  How did it become 11,000?

How is 60,000 troops (or 28,000 plus troops after the invasion) taking precedent over the 15,000 troops fighting for the puppet government?

You aren't simply saying "Norway fought on both sides".  Why?  Because Norway didn't exist - it was a puppet government.

I think you are being a dick to Varegg.
http://www.nuav.net/volunter.html <------ where the numbers came from. Plese note they were volunteers not shang-hi'ed

Gee, I am being a dick to Varegg huh? Do you really wanna keep score as to who can be a dick to who in this fuckin forum?

Last edited by lowing (2010-08-18 18:56:54)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

lowing wrote:

Norway's example... I maintained they disd not have much of a crisis because they are not much involved in the world economy.
How are they not just as involved?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

Norway's example... I maintained they disd not have much of a crisis because they are not much involved in the world economy.
Cause it was only a Global financial crisis... which clearly means only America.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

How the hell can you say they are.......Fuck even Varegg admitted that.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

DrunkFace wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

Cause it was only a Global financial crisis... which clearly means only America.
If the housing market collapsed in Norway i doubt the world would feel the impact as it did when the housing market collapsed in the US.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

lowing wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

If the housing market collapsed in Norway i doubt the world would feel the impact as it did when the housing market collapsed in the US.
Oh yeah? And what exactly is your contribution to America besides being a loud mouthed ignorant aircraft mechanic? Have you run a company? Have you financed a bridge building project? Have you done anything at all besides being a teensy weensy cog in a machine that wouldn't even notice if you were missing?

Are you really trying to put people down simply because you feel superior as an American? Really? You, who have done nothing to improve the 'glory of the nation' besides having the luck to be born here are putting others down? Holy fuck. You're not special simply because you are American, there are 300 million+ of us, and about 290 million of them have probably done more for this nation while consuming less taxpayer dollars than you have.

You're like the idiots that live and die by how their favorite sports team does. They had zero impact on the play on the field but they'll bask in the reflected glory, or get depressed when their team does poorly, all the same. You sound as ridiculous as a Yankees fan taking pride in the 27 World Series' that they've collected over the past 100 years without ever having stepped out on the field.

You have contributed next to nothing. You have been a tick feeding off the blood of the dog and nothing more.

Take pride in shit you actually do in your own life rather than taking reflected credit for what others have done. You didn't build the US economy and you sure as shit shouldn't be taking any credit for it.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-08-18 20:51:54)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Oh yeah? And what exactly is your contribution to America besides being a loud mouthed ignorant aircraft mechanic? Have you run a company? Have you financed a bridge building project? Have you done anything at all besides being a teensy weensy cog in a machine that wouldn't even notice if you were missing?

Are you really trying to put people down simply because you feel superior as an American? Really? You, who have done nothing to improve the 'glory of the nation' besides having the luck to be born here are putting others down? Holy fuck. You're not special simply because you are American, there are 300 million+ of us, and about 290 million of them have probably done more for this nation while consuming less taxpayer dollars than you have.

You're like the idiots that live and die by how their favorite sports team does. They had zero impact on the play on the field but they'll bask in the reflected glory, or get depressed when their team does poorly, all the same. You sound as ridiculous as a Yankees fan taking pride in the 27 World Series' that they've collected over the past 100 years without ever having stepped out on the field.

You have contributed next to nothing. You have been a tick feeding off the blood of the dog and nothing more.

Take pride in shit you actually do in your own life rather than taking reflected credit for what others have done. You didn't build the US economy and you sure as shit shouldn't be taking any credit for it.
Might wanna go back and read who exactly has projected the superiority complexes in this forum John, (I mean besides you)

I have not consumed a penny of tax payer dollars, sorry, I haven't even collected unemployment. Also lets not forget I am one of the tax payers you speak of.

Lets see, I served my country, same as you, I am a consumer same as you, I feed the tax collector same as you, tell me again how we are different?

Go ahead and let it out John, we all have to vent sometimes, even if you have to make up shit to be pissed about. Anyway, glad to see you are talking to me again, I missed you.

I forgot, what you posted had nothing to do with what I said so I am not sure why you quoted it, maybe you could explain?

Last edited by lowing (2010-08-18 21:16:49)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard